advertisement

Power cable recommendations....

Whatever came with my monitors/equipment seems to work perfectly fine as I connect them and electricity flows unrestricted due to electron drift velocity, I spent my cable budget on £2.5k of room treatment and correct setup with a Umik mic and REW which does make a scientifically validated and audible difference in sound quality, cable believers should really try it for themselves.

(For my sins I worked for a few years as a mechanical/electrical/electronic engineer for Gates international power transmission repairing and maintaining/designing shop floor and production equipment, some of it extremely sensitive to current, sounds very exciting but dull, very dull indeed due to inept management and rather poor pay, not once had I ever experienced an issue with cables……unless some dick in a shop floor forklift had torn through a 3 phase 415v cable with the blades.)

Taste is a classic victim of this effect! I did an experiment psychology subsidiary course at university - pre ethics committees and health and safety - and we had our taste buds played with in so many ways to demonstrate expectation bias!
I keep wondering why people sometimes seem to be uncomfortable with the basic human fact that what their brain makes of signals from their senses is determined by a lot more than those signals. And it seems to me that audio marketing gives them the pseudo-science they want to hear.

On the other hand this is a hobby. If someone enjoys something it does not matter about whether it's because of a scientific or human matter. IMHO there's no point for most people to do bias-controlled tests to work out why they like something.

The OP asks for some collective wisdom on good sounding mains cables. The variability of how people experience things tells me that no-one but the OP knows what is good sounding to him. I always audition kit with stock mains cables and it passes muster if I hear nothing wrong. However the wisdom is for the OP to listen to products that appeal and if the OP thinks one is good sounding to be confident of that.

Linear power supply basics:
Mains cable provides AC high(ish) voltage electric to transformer
Transformer reduces voltage to suitable level for device
Lower voltage electric is passed through a rectifier to convert AC to DC
DC electric charges and is stored in big capacitors (like short term rechargeable batteries)
Device circuits draw power from the big capacitors via a regulator which keeps the voltage nice and steady

Influence of mains cable knowing this?

I like the cut of his gib. I'm all for improbably large voltages, perhaps it'll do as a lightning rod for the local church.

I have modest cables but still probably expensive to a non-hobbyist and honestly, I can't hear any differences with interconnects or even speaker cables, so I'm definitely not going to bother with mains cables. It's not my system, which is costly enough I'd have thought. It could be my ears, I played in bands smashing the hell out of them in practice studios all my life. Who knows. That said, I've nothing against someone buying pricey cables if they make a difference to you. Jeez, even if you just buy them for the bling, who cares? It's your hobby, enjoy it.

I like the cut of his gib. I'm all for improbably large voltages, perhaps it'll do as a lightning rod for the local church.
It’s all part of the plan to create a Frankenstein’s monster. Improbably large voltages are a key requirement here.

Wow, that EWA marketing blurb is interesting
Apart from the improbably high voltages we have improbably high differential bandwidth ("-6 dB at 10 MHz"). On the one hand people worry about unwanted rubbish on the mains but here we have a cable that deliberately opens the window as wide as possible, ostensibly to do the job I expect a reservoir capacitor to do without external assistance.

advertisement

Back