advertisement

How Britain works

In the long list of accusations about Johnson this one is both credible and yet not that big, so I’m puzzled about why the two of them had it pulled.

It is likely fairly big as one would expect/hope it was a breach of the Ministerial Code. Far from the first time he’s tried to get the tax-payer to fund his various mistresses. The Times caving so easily is surprising, though their action ended up a classic ‘Streisand effect’ and drew far more attention to the story than it would otherwise have had. Might be a dead cat to distract from Johnson having apparently snorted his nose off. There seems to be a lot of ‘Gove’ around Westminster at present.

Story (finally) makes BBC News:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61869650

'Downing Street has confirmed that it spoke to a newspaper before it dropped a story involving the prime minister's wife, Carrie Johnson.

The Times printed a report on Saturday saying Mrs Johnson had been offered the role of chief-of-staff to Boris Johnson while he was foreign secretary, at a time when they were in a relationship.

But the item was removed from later editions and not published online.

No 10 said it had spoken to the Times before and after the story came out.

The prime minister's spokesman said it had been made clear by his political colleagues in Downing Street - and by Mrs Johnson's spokesperson - that the claim was "not true".

But a government source told the BBC the conversation following publication had not included mention of legal action.'

In the long list of accusations about Johnson this one is both credible and yet not that big, so I’m puzzled about why the two of them had it pulled.
I’m assuming it happens all the time: it’s just that this one got published *before* it got spiked. Usually they don’t need to be told.

I imagine the implications of the story weren't fully realised, that it would be (another) breach of the ministerial code, and that maybe nepotism wasn't a good look for a PM.

I'm puzzled too. I suppose it could just be timing: they don't want another negative news story about Johnson just before the by-elections.

Or it could be the fact that it shows that people in the Conservative party knew who they were installing as party leader before they voted for him.

Or it could be Carrie Johnson's connections to the 'Conservative Friends of Russia', founded by Sergei Nalobin, the son of an FSB officer. Firstly, because, in the light of Russia's pariah status in 2022, Johnson's wish to appoint someone as Chief of Staff in the Foreign Office when they have such connections looks reckless and unwise. Secondly, because Johnson was flying out to Ukraine this weekend for a photo opportunity, so a negative story about Conservative links to Russia might not play well with voters.

Last edited:
All of this kind of stuff - shady Russian connections, nepotism, the party's full understanding of what they were installing in Downing Street - regularly passes through the news, almost without comment, and is immediately memory-holed. This story was itself originally on page 5, and like most of the recent "revelations" over parties was already known, had already been written about (some book or other, can't remember which). Maybe there was something especially spicy here, maybe it was the timing, maybe someone decided the tap was being opened just a little too wide. In any case the self-censoring instincts of The Times went awry somehow, requiring explicit threats/bribes, and I suspect that is itself fairly routine. What's remarkable here is the brazenness - that it had already been published - but more importantly that the journos have decided to make a thing of it, rather than maintaining their usual "Nobody tells us what to write and to suggest otherwise is Trumpian!" routine.

As with a lot of other things, Boris is making a lot of routine corruption, complicity and incompetence just a little too obvious. He's making them all look bad and that's why he's got to go.

Boris is making a lot of routine corruption, complicity and incompetence just a little too obvious. He's making them all look bad and that's why he's got to go.
Here's a realisation I got from the journalist Sarah Kendzior: for sociopaths, or anyone without shame like Johnson and Trump, it doesn't matter if you get caught, it only matters that you don't get punished. That much is simple, and explains Johnson's ability to do whatever it takes to get through each crisis on a day-to-day basis. Johnson has no shame.

But, as you say, because the corruption is conducted so blithely, so incompetently, so obviously, it is leaving visible stains of dishonour upon whole sections of Britain: his ministers, his party, his ethics advisers, his backers, his press, the BBC, his voters. It is like watching wave after wave of raw sewage, washing over the institutions of this corrupted nation.

Todays standards of ministerial (and PM) conduct would get you, quite rightly, sacked in any reputable quoted company.
Paying for sex with the company’s money, lying to your boss, lying to the company’s customers, falsifying records, unprofessional appearance and behaviour, bringing the organisation into disrepute.

Lovely cartoon in the current Private Eye; bloke being confronted by his bosses.

Bosses: ‘We’ve had reports that you’ve been sleeping in the office’. Bloke: ‘Yeah, I gave it four stars on Tripadvisor’

That's a very odd article by Adonis. He uses the phrase 'modern freemasonry' as a salacious-sounding hook, but ends up arguing about a 'closed elite'. I think he means 'class', the word that dare not speak its name in 21st century politics. Personally, I'm more troubled by the influence of class in the UK than the influence of Freemasonry.

Despite credible reports of Freemasonry within Westminster (www.politicshome.com), there's not much evidence of actual power. Anyway, putting aside my natural suspicion of
  • secretive groups
  • cult-like ceremonies
  • male/female segregation (United Grand Lodge of England is male-only)
  • obligatory adherence to the idea of a supernatural god (no atheists or agnostics allowed)
perhaps Freemasons are 'undeservedly stigmatised', as argued here (Metro) by the UGLE.

If only we could stop stigmatising secretive, cult-like organisations that like to give the impression of wielding behind-the-scenes power, perhaps we could all be friends?

I think Adonis is using 'freemasonry' as a loose description rather than in the sense of real, actual Freemasons with their funny handshakes and silly aprons.

How Britain works in comparison with other countries/continents is an interesting conundrum. My Colombian family and contacts are devastated that (in their words) communism has prevailed in the presidential election last weekend with naivety of those who have voted it in, to the point that they are drastically changing their lives now as much and as quickly as they can and in some cases emigrating.

They say it is sweeping across South America in a terrifying manner. Hard for us to judge over here and very little reporting but this kind of broader perspective always tempers my view on our British shortcomings and our constant whingeing about our country and politics, even though it does come up short of course and power favours the few.

How Britain works in comparison with other countries/continents is an interesting conundrum. My Colombian family and contacts are devastated that (in their words) communism has prevailed in the presidential election last weekend with naivety of those who have voted it in, to the point that they are drastically changing their lives now as much and as quickly as they can and in some cases emigrating.

They say it is sweeping across South America in a terrifying manner. Hard for us to judge over here and very little reporting but this kind of broader perspective always tempers my view on our British shortcomings and our constant whingeing about our country and politics, even though it does come up short of course and power favours the few.
Is anyone to the left of Pinochet a communist?
I'd rather have a "left wing" President and first ever
black woman Vice President than tampon Charmless and the hangers on.

advertisement

Back