advertisement

Power cable recommendations....

There are so many relatively poor connections in a mains supply from the breaker all the way to the transformer in the device, it seems crazy to think inserting a foo cable in there will somehow make a difference. But each to their own, but maybe its time just to stop posting cable questions it's just been done to death.

There are so many relatively poor connections in a mains supply from the breaker all the way to the transformer in the device, it seems crazy to think inserting a foo cable in there will somehow make a difference. But each to their own, but maybe its time just to stop posting cable questions it's just been done to death.
Other threads are available for you to participate in, you can just pass cable threads by.

Such sarcasm above!!
Ha ha. So amusing, and every bit of sarcasm from those who have never done the comparisons.
Well speaking truthfully, and this from someone who doesn’t have golden, highly functioning ears, well one of them!
- A challenge for all the clever dissenters. Go and audition different interconnects, speaker cables, and power cables before you come out with your derisory comments. Then come back, and give us your truthful impressions, not your disbelieving, without trying, impressions.
I don’t believe in God. Who in their right mind would, without the evidence, but I have the evidence of my own ears when auditioning different interconnects, speaker cables, and power cables, though I have found that the effect of power cables can be less noticeable with some components, than others, eg. not a massive improvement to my amplifier, but a significant cleaning up of the sound with my phonostage, for example.
I’ve recently upgraded my interconnects, because I could hear the increased levels of details, and therefore realism, and i’ve heard, not imagined, a similar levels of improvement with different, but unfortunately, more expensive speaker cables, such that there was no going back to the old ones.
Now go on amaze yourself.
Now bring on the vitriol. I can see you outside if you think you’re hard enough!

lol
I spent 50 years making comparisons. There are some IMO, in almost every field of cable manufacture, but the changes, if they were not in my imagination, were MINUTE. maybe one tenth of a percent.

If i have money to spare, I'd be feeding children with too little food.

If you are fortunate enough to live with a decent electrical supply you may have different needs to those who suffer with a poor supply. Personally without the actions I have taken I would not be able to enjoy my system in the way that I do.

When I lived in an area with a good supply I had zero problems, where I now live woven cables rejecting rfi was just a starter, a regenerator supplying 230v means that my equipment does not have to resolve problems resulting from a regular 252/253 volts. Weakest point in my system was the crap plug fuse.

I am happy for those who enjoy wonderful sound but unless you have encountered power problems which can be improved what is the point of comment on something you have not experienced.

Such sarcasm above!!
Ha ha. So amusing, and every bit of sarcasm from those who have never done the comparisons.
Well speaking truthfully, and this from someone who doesn’t have golden, highly functioning ears, well one of them!
- A challenge for all the clever dissenters. Go and audition different interconnects, speaker cables, and power cables before you come out with your derisory comments. Then come back, and give us your truthful impressions, not your disbelieving, without trying, impressions.
I don’t believe in God. Who in their right mind would, without the evidence, but I have the evidence of my own ears when auditioning different interconnects, speaker cables, and power cables, though I have found that the effect of power cables can be less noticeable with some components, than others, eg. not a massive improvement to my amplifier, but a significant cleaning up of the sound with my phonostage, for example.
I’ve recently upgraded my interconnects, because I could hear the increased levels of details, and therefore realism, and i’ve heard, not imagined, a similar levels of improvement with different, but unfortunately, more expensive speaker cables, such that there was no going back to the old ones.
Now go on amaze yourself.
Now bring on the vitriol. I can see you outside if you think you’re hard enough!
Actually I’ve spoken to God about this, and he told me that it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than it was for a fancy mains cable to transform the sound of a system.

Well thanks for all the responses.

I've noticed that a lot of the "cables make no difference" crowd have never actually compared any cables and pass judgement on what they think is happening. That seems to me to be an ignorant stance to take. If they test them out and find no difference then fine, at least they have taken the trouble to do the experiment, and their results are useful data. I agree some cables do indeed fall into the no difference category.

To the non testers, go flap your lips elsewhere, simply not interested in what you "think" is/would/should happen. This thread was to ask for peoples experiences of good cables.

Well thanks for all the responses.

I've noticed that a lot of the "cables make no difference" crowd have never actually compared any cables and pass judgement on what they think is happening. That seems to me to be an ignorant stance to take. If they test them out and find no difference then fine, at least they have taken the trouble to do the experiment, and their results are useful data. I agree some cables do indeed fall into the no difference category.

To the non testers, go flap your lips elsewhere, simply not interested in what you "think" is/would/should happen. This thread was to ask for peoples experiences of good cables.
That's a bit of a leap to say we haven't tested any. We have and not found a difference, just we weren't expecting* to find a difference knowing about all the stuff between the wall socket and the generator, plus that mains wire inside the amp/cd/radio/whatever (tbh there's a marketing opportunity there for the wire between the device's inlet socket and the transformer.).

* Expectation is a strong force in us humans, don't underestimate it's persuasive, subconscious influence - now there's at least some verified and repeatable experimental evidence to support that. Can't see much peer reviewed experimental evidence of the effects of mains cables. :)

But we are all free to do what we like, within reason. No need to misrepresent the non believers. We have as much right to non belief based on our own experiences.

Amen

Years ago I did a blind A B with (mate swapped them) two mains cables. I knew which cable was in play of the 6 times it was swapped.
Oh, did you "know" the "sound" of one or both of the cables beforehand? I'm simply curious.

That's a bit of a leap to say we haven't tested any. We have and not found a difference, just we weren't expecting* to find a difference knowing about all the stuff between the wall socket and the generator, plus that mains wire inside the amp/cd/radio/whatever (tbh there's a marketing opportunity there for the wire between the device's inlet socket and the transformer.).

* Expectation is a strong force in us humans, don't underestimate it's persuasive, subconscious influence - now there's at least some verified and repeatable experimental evidence to support that. Can't see much peer reviewed experimental evidence of the effects of mains cables. :)

But we are all free to do what we like, within reason. No need to misrepresent the non believers. We have as much right to non belief based on our own experiences.

Amen
You might have missed the bit were I said "If they test them out and find no difference then fine, at least they have taken the trouble to do the experiment, and their results are useful data. I agree some cables do indeed fall into the no difference category."

Nope, it was the way an instrument sounded that allowed me to know which cable was being used.
Cool. I wonder if that same hit rate would happen using the same cable swap on a different amp (I'm assuming it was the amp, but in whatever the cable was swapped on).

I've tried different mains cables, a couple homemade and about three a friend had, and on a NAP160 and a Avondale NCC200 amp I couldn't spot the difference and he couldn't either. Strangely the reason he bought them over was because he could hear a difference at his house (his was the 160). But when I was swapping the cables at my house and he didn't know which cable was in the mix he couldn't reliably identify the correct cable.

We did the reverse test at his house and he was, as I was, unable to reliably identify the correct cable.

Maybe we both have rubbish hearing...

Anyway, he was a little crestfallen shall we say.

But, it hasn't stopped him believing.

No one has ( yet ) mentioned the fuses used with these cables.
I have a little box with various makes and values and have never got round
to listening to them.
Thinking about it, can you actually ‘listen’ to a fuse ?

Actually I’ve spoken to God about this, and he told me that it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than it was for a fancy mains cable to transform the sound of a system.
Seems a waste of a conversation to me...i would of asked about aliens and if God made them too? what about dinosaurs? Who made them? And of course the important question! When is Jesus coming back to judge us? But you couldnt manage that could you joe? Jesus wept!! Hang on..
Did he? Perhaps you could you ask? I happen to think the aliens question is the more interesting one..anyway im off to polish my fuses...lol

advertisement

Back