advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good win for Max. Mercedes seem to be doing better despite "problems". Russell reminded of his proper place in the team.

I managed to fixate on the space saver styled wheels on this years cars for some reason today. May have been the camera heights, not sure but boy do they look crap in black! At least last years wheels had some variations be it silver/black or gold/black and at least looked like road going alloys!
Maybe the increased dia this year requires more metal between hub and rim, makes me wonder how efficiently they’re expelling heat from the brakes. Maybe the ducts are larger, any thoughts Ian?

I managed to fixate on the space saver styled wheels on this years cars for some reason today. May have been the camera heights, not sure but boy do they look crap in black! At least last years wheels had some variations be it silver/black or gold/black and at least looked like road going alloys!
Maybe the increased dia this year requires more metal between hub and rim, makes me wonder how efficiently they’re expelling heat from the brakes. Maybe the ducts are larger, any thoughts Ian?

Those are hubcaps aren't they?

Quite a big change to the brakes and wheels in the rules for this year. Do a Google, it’s all out there.

Max did what he needed and executed the race well. He’s more mature this year. Alonso rightly punished for weaving…not as mature as Max it seems. LH vs GR - it’s going to swings & roundabouts this year between them, this time GR couldn’t match LH in the last phase when GR had the fresher tyres, it could be that LH took more out of his tyres trying to stay with with the front two whereas GR was pacing himself more.

I disagree Verstappen has matured, the only reason he seems to have calmed down is Hamilton is no longer a threat,
we'll see hid true colours if and when Mercedes get their act together.

I disagree Verstappen has matured, the only reason he seems to have calmed down is Hamilton is no longer a threat,
we'll see hid true colours if and when Mercedes get their act together.
I don’t totally disagree with you though I don’t think it’s just Lewis, Max wants to win whomever the competition is. Having a WDC to his name seems to be bringing maturity but the racing isn’t 1:1 as it was last year (ie less typically it was CS yesterday) plus Max has arguably the best car so he can play a longer game…hence looking more mature.

The wheel covers are there to stop airflow going through the hub and so any cooling solution has to be managed on the inside of the wheel / tyre assembly.

As TonyL has stated there is a lot of information out on the web. I can probably clarify any direct technical queries as some of what is written may not be that clear.

I posted the following in general (as all solutions need to consider the bigger picture) in response to your questions at the time, some pages back:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/the-2022-formula-one-thread.262382/page-49#post-4654592

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/the-2022-formula-one-thread.262382/page-48#post-4654049

Caught up with the race late last night and not a bad race. Interesting technical aspect seemed to be around traction, with cars like RB, Williams and Aston all having excellent traction despite not necessarily the fastest cars on the straight allowing them to hold off cars behind even with DRS. Pleased to see Merc truly on the pace for the first time this year, still behind Ferrari and RB but within sight now at least, also good to see HAM so happy with a third place on merit.

Regarding the HAM, RUS battle, HAM has been faster on a number of occasions during previous races but has not done as well in qualy so RUS got the priority to choose the race strategy and HAM has been at the wrong end of several safety cars. This time I think it was pretty equal on safety cars for them both, HAM was able to overtake and maintain a good pace at will and take advantage of the q position whilst RUS had more work to do with getting through the field. I think honours pretty much even with HAM getting the slight nod due to the pace after the last safety car that RUS could not respond to.

SAI had a great race but partially due to the traction on the RB could not get quite close enough on the straights to get a decent shot at an overtake in fact he never looked likely to overtake. My feeling is that LEC would have got a lot closer and might have had a shot as he is a better overtaker from what I have seen so far.

McLaren, oh dear!
Haas, oh dear!
Props to GUA, great race and wheel to wheel car control when overtaking. Impressive top 10 start
TSU, disappointing, I had hopes for him this year as he can be very quick but still too erratic

I don’t totally disagree with you though I don’t think it’s just Lewis, Max wants to win whomever the competition is. Having a WDC to his name seems to be bringing maturity but the racing isn’t 1:1 as it was last year (ie less typically it was CS yesterday) plus Max has arguably the best car so he can play a longer game…hence looking more mature.
I do agree Verstappen will race whomever is between him and a WDC title,
that's the way it should be, he seems to be fairer with the Ferarri pairing LeClerc and Sainz,
what he did last year was out of order, he's lost a fan in me as i was rooting for him previously,
it shows how great a driver Hamilton is to come so close to clinching it,
apart from fighting the Red Bull pairing, he also had to fight Alonso.

Alonso now seems to like playing Mr awkward these days as he has little chance of winning ! would have been nice if he could have been a better roadblock to MAX to spice things up

I do agree Verstappen will race whomever is between him and a WDC title,
that's the way it should be, he seems to be fairer with the Ferarri pairing LeClerc and Sainz,
what he did last year was out of order, he's lost a fan in me as i was rooting for him previously,
it shows how great a driver Hamilton is to come so close to clinching it,
apart from fighting the Red Bull pairing, he also had to fight Alonso.

Yes, it was definitely a personal thing last year which resorted to underhand tactics just to get even close to winning, fueled by the FIA intent to have a new crown. It was a shame, as by all means, he looks very likely for the WDC this year and he could win it potentially fairly without having cast a shadow over himself like his bellend behaviour of 2021.

Caught up with the race late last night and not a bad race. Interesting technical aspect seemed to be around traction, with cars like RB, Williams and Aston all having excellent traction despite not necessarily the fastest cars on the straight allowing them to hold off cars behind even with DRS. Pleased to see Merc truly on the pace for the first time this year, still behind Ferrari and RB but within sight now at least, also good to see HAM so happy with a third place on merit.

Regarding the HAM, RUS battle, HAM has been faster on a number of occasions during previous races but has not done as well in qualy so RUS got the priority to choose the race strategy and HAM has been at the wrong end of several safety cars. This time I think it was pretty equal on safety cars for them both, HAM was able to overtake and maintain a good pace at will and take advantage of the q position whilst RUS had more work to do with getting through the field. I think honours pretty much even with HAM getting the slight nod due to the pace after the last safety car that RUS could not respond to.

SAI had a great race but partially due to the traction on the RB could not get quite close enough on the straights to get a decent shot at an overtake in fact he never looked likely to overtake. My feeling is that LEC would have got a lot closer and might have had a shot as he is a better overtaker from what I have seen so far.

McLaren, oh dear!
Haas, oh dear!
Props to GUA, great race and wheel to wheel car control when overtaking. Impressive top 10 start
TSU, disappointing, I had hopes for him this year as he can be very quick but still too erratic

I'm just not convinced yet by Mercs 'improvement' yet - although hoping that I am wrong!. I'm not sure if Lewis was just saving his engine, but within a few laps at the end of the race he was seconds off the leader, and with the Le Clerc and Perez already out of the mix, Lewis managed to get onto the podium, but would he have been able to if the other two had been in the fight? I'm not so sure.

Alonso now seems to like playing Mr awkward these days as he has little chance of winning ! would have been nice if he could have been a better roadblock to MAX to spice things up

Have you ever read Lewi's autobiography? It tells a lot about Alonso's behaviour towards him in the earlier part of his career.

I'm just not convinced yet by Mercs 'improvement' yet - although hoping that I am wrong!. I'm not sure if Lewis was just saving his engine, but within a few laps at the end of the race he was seconds off the leader, and with the Le Clerc and Perez already out of the mix, Lewis managed to get onto the podium, but would he have been able to if the other two had been in the fight? I'm not so sure.

Agreed, there is not enough evidence for putting out the bunting yet but they were much closer to the top two teams and on a track with high top speeds and lots of bumps. If they have improved those aspects it bodes much better for the rest of the season. They are still the third fastest team however and as you say if PER and LEC were there qualifying 3/4 then HAM woudl havce been 5th.... but they weren't.

Redbull seem to have by far the better package. Ferrari seem to be straining to the point of fragility to stay with them, although the RB failure of Perez was pause for thought. I don't think the Mercs are there yet for the reasons given above. The camera on Sainz cockpit was fightening, a combination of bouncing and turbulance as you approach braking zones, ugh.

Merc are where they should have been at the start of the season so they have several races where they’ve missed the opportunity to understand and develop the car for performance rather than just making it work. There’s a lot they’ve still to catch up on. Even then, will the car be up to it or just best of the rest?

It seems to me that Red Bull is right in saying that the FIA shouldn't intervene in the porpoising business. Essentially, Mercedes in particular got it badly wrong and is paying the price. Stuff happens, as Donald Rumsfeld famously said. Mercedes wouldn't be the first top F1 team to take the wrong technical turning and suffer the consequences.

It seems to me that Red Bull is right in saying that the FIA shouldn't intervene in the porpoising business. Essentially, Mercedes in particular got it badly wrong and is paying the price. Stuff happens, as Donald Rumsfeld famously said. Mercedes wouldn't be the first top F1 team to take the wrong technical turning and suffer the consequences.
In most similar circumstances I’d agree.
However, the only teams not moaning are the only two that are running well. Every other team is?

To my mind it highlights huge issues with the rules. Rules which so clearly impede the ability to develop a viable racing car. I’d far prefer to see far less nailed down beyond say safety requirements, engine size and tyres. That done let teams develop the car they want and continue to develop it across the full season. As it is we end up with clearly part-developed cars at the start if the season and no real opportunity for a redesign as a result of real-world testing. I know there is a financial argument, but this was never a poor person’s sport and the absurd rigidity of the rules prevent the lateral thinking that was present in the early years of the sport.

To my mind it highlights huge issues with the rules. Rules which so clearly impede the ability to develop a viable racing car. I’d far prefer to see far less nailed down beyond say safety requirements, engine size and tyres. That done let teams develop the car they want and continue to develop it across the full season. As it is we end up with clearly part-developed cars at the start if the season and no real opportunity for a redesign as a result of real-world testing. I know there is a financial argument, but this was never a poor person’s sport and the absurd rigidity of the rules prevent the lateral thinking that was present in the early years of the sport.
The trouble is, Tony, that magic word "financial". It actually has been a (relatively) poor man's sport in the past - think of the Coopers in the late 1950s, contemptuously dismissed by Enzo Ferrari as garagistas, designing a world-beater on a chalked-out outline on the garage floor, or Jack Brabham deciding in 1966 that a simple car with a simple, reliable engine based on a small US V8 would be the way to go. Mechanical and, more particularly, electronic and aerodynamic sophistication comes at a cost, and only those who can afford the exotic tools to maximise the benefits of these new technologies have any chance of being consistent winners. So, wealthy benefactors or major automotive manufacturers are a must, and those who do not have that sort of backing end up as track space fillers/mobile chicanes behind the same lot of leaders.

Close racing can be guaranteed, but it means following something like the Indianapolis route - one chassis. choice of 2 engines, standard aerodynamic packages. The is totally against the ethos of F1, and the attempt to maintain this ethos and yet ensure that the lower orders have a fighting chance has led to the present complications.

There have always been periods of total domination - Lotus in 1963 and 1965 and McLaren winning 15 out of 16 races in 1988, but these came to an end. In the modern era, the likelihood of lesser teams being able to challenge the small group of well-financed front runners seems remote. How one cures this I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back