advertisement

Roxy Music 16th June 1972.

Weekender

pfm Member
50 years ago today.
This is the first music I remember. Thanks Dad.
I see they're doing a two-date UK tour...and other world dates...no point in doing too many I guess..."at their age".
No Eno obvs.

I TRIED BUT I COULD NOT FIND A WAY!
Cetera

Looking Back all I did was look away. The joy of being 14 years old and hearing that kind of stuff as a school kid still resonates and remains fresh in the memory to this very day. There was nothing like it.

My first recollection was the 7” of Street Life which I bought at the time as a kid. A good single. It wasn’t until a lot later until I properly discovered the albums. I’ve got the first three plus Viva on original Island vinyl and the Studio Recordings CD box for the rest. I’m not interested in the reformed band, Avalon is the end point IMO. I’d put ‘For Your Pleasure’ as the high watermark, though I like them all in their own way.

Can't say I was too impressed with the recent half speed remastered vinyl. I bought it on release and sent it straight back. Sounded off compared to the original pressing. Too much emphasis on things that were going on in the background that got pushed up to the forefront. Not good IMO. I really don't like it when they do that. Somethings are just etched into your memory bank and changing that can be detrimental to the experience.

Can't say I was too impressed with the recent half speed remastered vinyl.

There’s a fair amount of negativity towards the Abbey Rd half-speed range regardless of band and title. Generally flat sounding somehow. The only ones I’ve heard myself are Japan’s Gentlemen Take Polaroids and Tin Drum. Neither overly worried my original UK Virgin copies.

Yeah. Vinyl reissues can be a bit meh nowadays. Same thing went on with the Here Come the Warm Jets 180gm reissue a few years ago. Someone else's train. Not mine. Call me old fashioned but I much prefer the original pressing (even though Warm Jets was not exactly the most high fidelity thing ever recorded - and that's putting it mildly)

My first recollection was the 7” of Street Life which I bought at the time as a kid. A good single. It wasn’t until a lot later until I properly discovered the albums. I’ve got the first three plus Viva on original Island vinyl and the Studio Recordings CD box for the rest. I’m not interested in the reformed band, Avalon is the end point IMO. I’d put ‘For Your Pleasure’ as the high watermark, though I like them all in their own way.

For You Pleasure is a work of genius. Been listening to that for nigh on 50 years and it’s still an awesome album. It’s a R2D4.

Last edited:
I was 3 weeks old on 16 June 1972, but I picked up the first 3 Roxy albums secondhand for peanuts in 1990 when I was 18 and still love them. Serendipitously, I recall taking home Red by KC in the same bag. All transpired to be first UK pressings. A good day for music shopping that was.

Thanks @sideshowbob. I have now pleaded a bad back whilst the wife takes the boys and dog out for walkies whilst I get lost in the Musikladen archive on youtube.

1972 ,4th form, I'm nearly 15, first comes Ziggy Stardust and then Roxy Music, what a summer that was... My Roxy Music album still has a £1.59 Makkro sticker on the front.

Loved the Musik Laden videos. The early stuff with Eno was fab. Also enjoyed hearing songs from Stranded.

advertisement

Back