advertisement

Czeching out and turning Japanese

Steven Toy

Accuphase newbie
In 2010 I visited Atelier de l'Audiophile, a hi-fi dealership in Montpellier, France where I heard a system that has basically been my reference ever since. It was a dCS Puccini CD player into valve pre and power amplifiers produced in-house driving a pair of Tannoy Kensington SEs.

http://www.hifi-atelier-audiophile.com/

My views on the large vintage Tannoys had hitherto been mixed. I'd expected great things from them, given the hype but was decidedly underwhelmed. These slender beasts were, however, in a different league and were exactly what I was looking for... They sounded much more tactile and immediate than their bigger brothers and could still pack a punch in the low bass.

The dCS player dug out musical info I'd not heard before in a most enjoyable way and the amplification was on a par with the Tube Distinctions grounded grid pre and Copper power amps that I had at the time and still have to this day. Mine is no 2 of 8 ever built thus far.

https://tubedistinctions.co.uk/project/the-copper-amps/

I couldn't afford Kensingtons so I settled very happily for Turnberry SEs which I kept for more than 10 years until May last year when I received an email from Anthony of Tube Distinctions. He was offering to sell me a pair of Kensington GRs that he'd acquired a year earlier from an elderly gentleman who had passed away. My wife Natasha saw a rather perplexed look on my face as I read the email. She asked me what was wrong.

I hadn't worked for several months due to Covid lockdowns, the resulting lack of business and concluded that now was not the time to be dropping a few grand on a new pair of loudspeakers. My wife had other ideas as she sat at her work desk here at home on her computer with her mouse and fingers clicking merrily and rapidly on her keyboard...

"You have wanted those speakers for years and if you miss this opportunity you'll regret it for a long time. I've just checked our accounts and we can afford it."

Wow! I did want this particular pair because they were built at the Coatbridge factory before it closed and were therefore the real.deal! They should therefore hold their value if I take good care of them, although I'm not planning on parting with them. I've still had to run them in, though, because the old fella hardly used them.

I also bought some new tables to place the equipment on, the P-Revue with the PEEK spacing option from Musicworks. They are both a sonic and visual improvement on the previous ReVo, also from Musicworks. The sonics improve further by placing either discs or sheets of a composite material of acrylic, PEEK and graphite named Acouplex under components.

A year on, it is the 9th year of waiting for the Lakewest MDAC 2 and I'm basically giving up on it ever materialising. Let's say no more about that...

A few years back I had the chance to hear the Accuphase DP410 CD player and I concluded that it was actually a more enjoyable listen than the dCS Puccini I heard back in 2010. It was a hefty over-engineered beast in a lovely Japanese 1970s retro style. Its successor, the DP450 arrived last week after a three-month wait for it to be built hy hand and shipped from Japan.

https://www.techweekmag.com/news/hi-fi/accuphase-dp-45/
Despite the level of engineering and vibration control, the Accuphase player/DAC still benefits from improved isolation so an Acouplex IP1 platform sits between the shelf and its feet.

https://www.musicworks-hifi.com/news/2019/07/acouplex/

I still prefer CD to streaming/HDD storage purely for sound quality reasons but the Accuphase is versatile enough to accommodate any streaming device I may choose to throw at it in the not-too-distant future. For me, streaming serves the sole purpose of allowing me to listen to lots of music before buying on CD anything new or previously unheard that I like.

Apart from the streamer, some more Acouplex, including a dedicated table for the CD player when it becomes available, this system is largely complete. A 12-year mission is accomplished! I don't have enough vinyl to justify a turntable and new vinyl costs the earth. The CD player sounds very 'analogue' anyway.

The power amplifier pictured is brand new. It's no 8! I'm borrowing it while mine goes under the knife (soldering iron). Anthony is bringing it up to the same specification. It is to be a hybrid amp with solid state rectification. This improves the power supply affording better dynamics and quicker transients according to my ears.

There is also a Trilogy 911 headphone amplifier to drive a pair of HifiMan Anandas.

Last edited:
Very nice indeed and richly deserved. I know you were a huge supporter of the Westlake dac project and have been incredibly patient. Good to see you leave it behind and get something that actually exists.
Wishing you every pleasure with your system.

Very nice indeed and richly deserved. I know you were a huge supporter of the Westlake dac project and have been incredibly patient. Good to see you leave it behind and get something that actually exists.
Wishing you every pleasure with your system.

I've been patient but also outspoken, although not here.

Not one single project has been realised in full in nearly 9 years by JohnW since the crowd-funded development programme started although a few Pro-Jects have...

@Steven Toy good to see you here. I’ll read the post later! @Whaleblue formerly Vital during the DAC bake-off war! :)

The Accuphase comfortably thrashes everything we listened to on that day, including the Resonessence Mirus DAC with one of the most over-engineered CD transport mechanism I've encountered.

The drawer mech is also super smooth and silent in operation.

The top shelf is reserved for the massive heat source aka the valve power amp.

There is, however, an Acouplex IP1 platform between the shelf and the CD player. This effectively turns it into a reference shelf.

In a couple of months the CD player should hopefully have its own dedicated Acouplex table alongside the main rack.

My wife had other ideas as she sat at her work desk here at home on her computer with her mouse and fingers clicking merrily and rapidly on her keyboard...

"You have wanted those speakers for years and if you miss this opportunity you'll regret it for a long time. I've just checked our accounts and we can afford it."

You owe it to your fellow man to clone that wife. Real gold there…

@Steven Toy That is just showing off that is.:)

Your system looks amazing- and your Wife was correct- you would have regretted not getting The Tannoys.

Enjoy them.:)

The previous speakers were Tannoys (Turnberry SEs). I had them for 10 years but these are better and the kind you keep forever. Given the closure of the factory in Scotland since they were made, they should hold their value too.

I sold the Turnberrys for only slightly less than I paid for them brand new in 2010.

Well done Steven very nice progression of upgrades to a fantastic set of components which I have no doubt make a lovely sounding system. I have to assume your wife is bad at addition as it is very rare to come across a female who actively encourages hifi purchases especially at the level you have managed to swing :p

I am extremely jealous of your Tannoys. I managed to swing a new pair of the Legacy Cheviots albeit I suppose I also have a Quad of ESL63's so I suppose I can't complain really.

Your accuphase is a tank I thought that style of CD player was no more. Looks fantastic. Maybe try and get 1 or 2 cd drives and belts for it to protect yourself.

Well done Steven very nice progression of upgrades to a fantastic set of components which I have no doubt make a lovely sounding system. I have to assume your wife is bad at addition as it is very rare to come across a female who actively encourages hifi purchases especially at the level you have managed to swing :p

I am extremely jealous of your Tannoys. I managed to swing a new pair of the Legacy Cheviots albeit I suppose I also have a Quad of ESL63's so I suppose I can't complain really.

Your accuphase is a tank I thought that style of CD player was no more. Looks fantastic. Maybe try and get 1 or 2 cd drives and belts for it to protect yourself.

Accuphase players have their own proprietary drives that are all metal with no plastic. The drawer mech is super-smooth and virtually silent in operation. I should imagine they aren't cheap to buy.

I bought the player from the Audioworks who are also the UK distributor for Accuphase and have been stocking them for over 20 years. They tell me that they have a customer who is using one that is 17 years old on the original drive mechanism.

These beasts are massively over-engineered in terms of both vibration and noise rejection and it weighs 13 Kgs. I mention this because it still benefits sonically from the Acouplex IP1 isolation platform underneath it

https://www.musicworks-hifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/2020-MusicWorks-Brochure-v1.4-online.pdf

and a decent shielded power lead. I've been using the same set of power leads throughout my system from Mark Grant since 2010. They do the job very well indeed and don't break the bank.

https://www.markgrantcables.co.uk/u...gold-plated-dsp-25-dual-screened-power-cable/

I mention these because historically, when I've outlined the advantages of such products the reaction has frequently been a contradiction of they can't make any difference but if they do the player (or amp) is poorly engineered. In this instance the irony would be off the scale!

The means of storage and delivery of the digital data (CD/HDD or streaming) rarely commit sins of omission (it's just 0s and 1s innit!) but they do commit sins of commission in the form of noise entering the analogue domain. They all do but some do it more than others. This is a game of reducing that noise as much as possible.

Every component is microphonic but some more than others. With some it is subtle. With others it is obvious enough to hear a noise through the loudspeakers if you tap it. It will either be a whine or a thump.

Streamers and HDD sources often introduce a lot of noise from the CPU into the analogue domain.

A well-engineered CD player gets a significant head start in noise reduction from vibration and electrical noise/RFI compared to other sources but it can still be improved.

Ive not heard a streamer that can outperform a CD transport at this level but I intend to get something next year to use as a secondary source into the Accuphase DAC built into the player.

That aside and apart from ongoing isolation upgrades the system is basically done.

A single-tier table for the CD player is the next step:

https://www.musicworks-hifi.com/news/2021/10/musicworks-revue-ultra-gen2/

If valves cease to be available I might have to get a solid state amp but I'm hoping that won't happen. If it does, Accuphase will be top of the list. About 10 years ago or so I wouldn't have touched an Accuphase amplifier because they sounded annoyingly soft in the bass, even compared to my valve amplifiers, but not now.

https://www.theaudioworks.co.uk/our-partners-websites/

Natasha knows exactly how much these things cost. I wouldn't dare try to fool her!

Last edited:
Good to hear from you again, Steven. I’m envious of those like you who can write so eloquently about audio.

In 2010 I visited Atelier de l'Audiophile, a hi-fi dealership in Montpellier, France where I heard a system that has basically been my reference ever since. It was a dCS Puccini CD player into valve pre and power amplifiers produced in-house driving a pair of Tannoy Kensington SEs.

http://www.hifi-atelier-audiophile.com/

My views on the large vintage Tannoys had hitherto been mixed. I'd expected great things from them, given the hype but was decidedly underwhelmed. These slender beasts were, however, in a different league and were exactly what I was looking for... They sounded much more tactile and immediate than their bigger brothers and could still pack a punch in the low bass.

The dCS player dug out musical info I'd not heard before in a most enjoyable way and the amplification was on a par with the Tube Distinctions grounded grid pre and Copper power amps that I had at the time and still have to this day. Mine is no 2 of 8 ever built thus far.

https://tubedistinctions.co.uk/project/the-copper-amps/

I couldn't afford Kensingtons so I settled very happily for Turnberry SEs which I kept for more than 10 years until May last year when I received an email from Anthony of Tube Distinctions. He was offering to sell me a pair of Kensington GRs that he'd acquired a year earlier from an elderly gentleman who had passed away. My wife Natasha saw a rather perplexed look on my face as I read the email. She asked me what was wrong.

I hadn't worked for several months due to Covid lockdowns, the resulting lack of business and concluded that now was not the time to be dropping a few grand on a new pair of loudspeakers. My wife had other ideas as she sat at her work desk here at home on her computer with her mouse and fingers clicking merrily and rapidly on her keyboard...

Wow! I did want this particular pair because they were built at the Coatbridge factory before it closed and were therefore the real.deal! They should therefore hold their value if I take good care of them, although I'm not planning on parting with them. I've still had to run them in, though, because the old fella hardly used them.

I also bought some new tables to place the equipment on, the P-Revue with the PEEK spacing option from Musicworks. They are both a sonic and visual improvement on the previous ReVo, also from Musicworks. The sonics improve further by placing either discs or sheets of a composite material of acrylic, PEEK and graphite named Acouplex under components.

A year on, it is the 9th year of waiting for the Lakewest MDAC 2 and I'm basically giving up on it ever materialising. Let's say no more about that...

A few years back I had the chance to hear the Accuphase DP410 CD player and I concluded that it was actually a more enjoyable listen than the dCS Puccini I heard back in 2010. It was a hefty over-engineered beast in a lovely Japanese 1970s retro style. Its successor, the DP450 arrived last week after a three-month wait for it to be built hy hand and shipped from Japan.

https://www.techweekmag.com/news/hi-fi/accuphase-dp-45/
Despite the level of engineering and vibration control, the Accuphase player/DAC still benefits from improved isolation so an Acouplex IP1 platform sits between the shelf and its feet.

https://www.musicworks-hifi.com/news/2019/07/acouplex/

I still prefer CD to streaming/HDD storage purely for sound quality reasons but the Accuphase is versatile enough to accommodate any streaming device I may choose to throw at it in the not-too-distant future. For me, streaming serves the sole purpose of allowing me to listen to lots of music before buying on CD anything new or previously unheard that I like.

Apart from the streamer, some more Acouplex, including a dedicated table for the CD player when it becomes available, this system is largely complete. A 12-year mission is accomplished! I don't have enough vinyl to justify a turntable and new vinyl costs the earth. The CD player sounds very 'analogue' anyway.

The power amplifier pictured is brand new. It's no 8! I'm borrowing it while mine goes under the knife (soldering iron). Anthony is bringing it up to the same specification. It is to be a hybrid amp with solid state rectification. This improves the power supply affording better dynamics and quicker transients according to my ears.

There is also a Trilogy 911 headphone amplifier to drive a pair of HifiMan Anandas.

Enjoyed this, thanks for sharing... have you ever tried Accuphase amps?
Mac

advertisement

Back