advertisement

Second hand vinyl finds

Bought a clear vinyl copy of the 12" mix of Amii Stewart's Knock on Wood for a quid on the market the other week. Partly for novelty value, partly for the boy - he loves jigging around to Funk & Disco. It's mint, but the b side is shite.

Just picked these two up at the local charity shop. Both are reissues alas, but in nice tidy condition nevertheless.

30725723448_964b1b589b_c.jpg

Roxy Music-For Your Pleasure. UK 1st press. Looks clean, hopefully when the kit is up and running this will not disappoint.

A great record shop in Cambourne, Cornwall, not on online in any form. Owned by a mad old hippy called Art, really friendly guy. Suggested he changed the name
of the shop to ART 'A record Troubadour'

Bloss

A near mint copy of The Boo Radleys Kingsize album for £15 from Hull record fair last weekend. It’s a £40 kinda album usually.

Happy to pick these up for a pound each at the local Amnesty International book sale this morning.

There were a few hundred donated records, 99% classical. When I went back for a second pass a guy who seemed to be their appointed Record Expert was flicking through them and tutting at one of the volunteers.... " yeah it's all rubbish, nothing of value, you should throw most of it away"(!!!). Though he was quick enough to snap "THOSE ARE MINE!" when I made the mistake of flicking through a pile next to the boxes. :rolleyes:

iJ2TG9e.jpg

What was in his pile?!

I didn't get much of a chance to find out!

He insisted I buy some awful 1940s opera reissue on World Record Club ("now that's good"). That will be going to Oxfam next week :)

I got the impression he wasn't an official volunteer (they all have name badges) more a self-appointed 'expert' who had arranged to come in and have a look as a 'favour'.

52504640965_5a7fcc29ae_b.jpg

Today’s lesson for dealers who don’t check the rear sleeve! I’m certainly taking that one home for a fiver!
I found a lovely fully signed copy of Andy Irvine and Paul Brady in a charity shop once. A favourite album of mine at the time, I couldn’t believe my luck.

Not only a classic folk album but both folk legends not really known for signing lots of stuff. One of my prized possessions. Cost a quid.

I do really like signed stuff. With new releases I always check to see if there is a limited signed edition on Bandcamp or wherever, and I’ll pay extra for it. I’ve got quite a bit now, but would love to stumble across more of the jazz greats, Miles, Coltrane, Mingus and Monk being my top four ‘wants’. I’ve got Ron Carter twice, and he played on most good jazz records!

PS The Brubeck is really good! I wasn’t sure what to expect as I was under the impression this later period was a bit patchy, but this is very decent and a lovely natural punchy and dynamic recording, as Concord of this era so often seem to be. System show-off grade sound. Very happy with this one, really good clear sig too.

advertisement

Back