advertisement

Cricket 2022 - for all things cricket this year on PFM

Never thought they'd chase that down in a million years. How Wrong can you be? Had a dentist appointment today at 2.30 (tooth hurty -haha) Joe Root gets out just before we left and I thought, yup, the usual collapse is gonna happen. Got back at 3.30 and Stokes and Bairstow were still there. One of them was bound to get out just before tea, this is England right? But it didn't happen. So you'd've expected one of them to go just after tea. But that didn't happen either.

And then I witnessed one of the best batting performances in a test match I've ever seen. If this is the future of test match cricket? Bring it on. That was just Epic.

Ben Foakes tremendous with the gloves and he is constantly chattering to keep team spirits up and in stark contrast to Butler who had a face like a slapped arse during the Ashes defeat.

Bairstow is like David Gower on cocaine and steroids. It's either a brilliant 24 or the best 120 you ever saw, but done with extreme violence instead of wristy late cuts and stuff.

Ben Foakes has been utterly brilliant in this series I quite agree. Can totally understand now why people were calling out for him instead of Buttler. He's a brilliant keeper and he can bat. Looks a bit like Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters.Would love to see him behind a drum kit.

Now all we need is a decent spinner and for Crawley to stop edging anything that should be left alone and this is a team that can lift England out of the ‘nearly good’ pit. Bairstow eh? I recall watching Beefy on his best days but Bairstows solidity and power made even the top tier 6’s look easy. Amazing knock.

Now all we need is a decent spinner and for Crawley to stop edging anything that should be left alone and this is a team that can lift England out of the ‘nearly good’ pit. Bairstow eh? I recall watching Beefy on his best days but Bairstows solidity and power made even the top tier 6’s look easy. Amazing knock.
Liam Livingstone could make a good fist of it. Used a lot as a spin bowler in IPL this year and a real power hitter who hit a 117 metre six in that tournament. Can't be any worse than Crawley recently.

I'd give Crawley more time - he got a very good ball first innings, which will have done nothing for his confidence 2nd time up.

Bairstow and Stokes unshackled at last. I hope they always play to win and I don't care if it doesn't work every time.
Root is there as the stable, sensible one.
Need to settle on a 1 2 and 3 to play their part more often than not.
Who will replace Anderson/Broad is an even bigger issue.

I'd give Crawley more time - he got a very good ball first innings, which will have done nothing for his confidence 2nd time up.

Agreed Crawley needs to be given more time but I am not sure his defence is ever going to be good enough against the new ball. He has all the shots and I have always seen him as a KP-type middle order player who against the older takes the game away from the opposition a bit like Bairstow did yesterday. It was great to see Jonhnie beaming from ear to ear yesterday after all he has been threw. Root ditto at the end of his first innings knock.

Looking to the Aussies at home next summer and the seam bowling will need more variation in speed and height to really trouble Smith, Labureau deChange, Head etc.

Agree about the bowling attack needing more variation. I rarely see county cricket now so, who is there who might step into the Broad/Anderson shoes? Any names worth watching for?

Agree about the bowling attack needing more variation. I rarely see county cricket now so, who is there who might step into the Broad/Anderson shoes? Any names worth watching for?

The main problem is that about 8 of our best seam bowlers are currently injured. Pretty much all of them with stress fractures of the back I think.

Best of the young ones probably Mahmood.

There's currently a lot of injuries among the fast bowlers don't forget. [Matthew beat me to it :)] I agree about a spinner, there was a very good interview with Graham Swann at the weekend on Sky.

I've been lurking in this thread for a while, really no idea why, love my cric
+1 for Livingstone I really think he should get a go at transferring his skills to test cricket. As much as I like Leach I'm not sure he's the answer as the single spinner. He seemed to get out bowled by a guy who has only bowled spin in a handful of first-class matches.

I've got a Friday ticket for the India test at Edgbaston! Really looking forward to it after yesterday

blimey...I'd lost track clearly.

This is a LOT of missing talent.
England's fast bowler injury issues
Jofra Archer The 27-year-old is dealing with a stress fracture of the lower back having previously been out with an elbow problem
Mark Wood Wood suffered an elbow injury in the first Test of the Caribbean tour
Saqib Mahmood The Lancashire man is out with a stress fracture
Matthew Fisher The Yorkshireman is also nursing a stress fracture
Olly Stone Four stress fractures in the last five years has disrupted Stone's England hopes
Chris Woakes A heavy workload has seen the seam bowling all-rounder deal with several niggling injuries, including to his sh
Sam Curran Another of those to have been hit with a stress fracture while on IPL duty in October
Ollie Robinson Back spasms ruled Robinson out of all three games against the West Indies, while dental issues and a stomach problem have disrupted his start to the county campaign

Most of the above bowlers were all promising and everyone with an injury now , the coaches really have to look at this .livingston could be a spin answer as at least he looks more likely to get wickets ,his batting is certainly in the New England aggressive way

advertisement

Back