advertisement

Vertical tracking angle

heidcase music

pfm Member
Good Morning Fishes,
Yes I know this has been covered before but it all gets a wee bit too technical for an old man
I have a Thorens TD150 Mk 2 with an AT M520AB cartridge
The cartridge is fitted to the head shell Kugelarm arm at the proper settings head shell level with the record which the manual suggests is 15 degrees
The cartridge manual suggests 23 degrees
I know the angle of the head shell can be adjusted but which way ? (front up) and how will I know its 23 degrees
OR will I just leave well alone ?
Any help advice greatly appreciated as always

You will find weapons grade OCD on this topic if you dig down. My attitude is to trust that if you spend x £hundred on a nice cartridge then one would hope the manufacturer stuck the tip on correctly. As such I just set it absolutely square and level in the headshell on a typical thickness album and just fine tune by ear with VTF and anti-skate.

40985775641_979183c567_b.jpg

I use one of these (Amazon link) for both VTA and azimuth. I just don’t buy into the OCD of Michael Fremer etc using microscopes and crazy expensive boutique tools etc. I absolutely respect and admire how nuts he is, but no record is flat anyway. You need to get things level enough and to buy cartridges from competent brands that can stick the tip on in the right place! Azimuth is arguably far more important anyway and many arms don’t even offer that adjustment.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back