advertisement

Current CD players that are good?

I have used the old Rotel 965BX as a transport into various dacs but still prefer it standalone. It appears to lose it’s character through other Dacs. Interesting really.

I have used the old Rotel 965BX as a transport into various dacs but still prefer it standalone. It appears to lose it’s character through other Dacs. Interesting really.
Opposite experience for me - when used as a transport into my Qutest the sound is fuller and more detailed.
Having said that the internal dac in the Rotel is far from shabby.:)

Opposite experience for me - when used as a transport into my Qutest the sound is fuller and more detailed.
Having said that the internal dac in the Rotel is far from shabby.:)
Never tried it into a Qutest. I like the balance of the Rotel as it is really. Keep trying other dacs but always come back to the Rotel.

Nothing wrong with that - what sounds best to you is all that matters.
Off topic - your avatar is driving me mad - I know this lady is a fine actress - do you think I can remember her name?:mad:
Yep.Jessie Buckley. Has a lovely new album out with Bernard Butler.

I was using an original 965BX which I purchased new in '92 via a Meridian 203 in my 'man cupboard' system, but I 'packed it away' in 2020, after purchasing a 2nd/hand 965BX 'Discrete'.
The 965BX had been substituted for a Meridain 200 which unfortunately had a drawer which had started to close with a 'clang', and which needs to be dispatched for a service.
I was sorely tempted recently to buy another 965BX which looked to be in better condition than my original, from the same dealer who had supplied my 'discrete' version, but fortunately it was sold before I could decide, and given my advanced years I doubt I'll live long enough to wear out the two that I've got.
Regards
Mike K.

The Roksan Caspian M2 is excellent. I have owned one trouble free for nearly 10 years now. Sound production is superb. You may be able for pick up a good used one for circa £1000. They are more than double that new.

Considered a new CD transport a bit ago. Impressions from an initial shortlist:
- Cyrus: nice size, good when working, but reliability issues and expensive to repair.
- Audiolab 6000: Seems well liked but some found issue of it scratching CDs. Some reliability issues too. Have had build issues with other IAG products also.
- Rega Apollo as CDT: well liked, and good support from Rega. Seemed fair cost for replacement mechanism too (but can't remember cost). Definite preferred option.

Others will have very different experiences but this is what stuck from the trawling.

IMO if spending decent money on a CDP/T then reliability and product support are key.

advertisement

Back