advertisement

Dedicated listening room?

Size is 21ft x 15ft x 9ft ceiling. Yes fully treated , 34 GIK panels.

5SWWLwj.jpg

3bKmwbj.jpg
Amazing!

I did have one, but it felt weird having to go into a special room to listen to music, so I seldom used it and repurposed it. I now listen to music more in there now it can be used for other stuff.

Good Morning All,

I've posted pictures of my dedicated room (4.7 x 3.9 x 2.65m) on my Isobarik thread previously.

I currently have 9off 600 x 1200mm GIK panels and am about to place an order for another 6off (equivalent). The GIK recommended 15% level is 14 so I'll be happy with that.

Regards

Richard

Our Kitchen / Dayroom is where we have tele. A nice space with lots of glass and the preferred family room. The “Dining” room gets used every Preston guild.

Which leaves the main/music room, the parlour:D.. about 8.6m x 4.8m, well furnished with the hifi at one end and my work desk at the rear of the room. Working from home means I spend 6 to 8 hrs a day here and the music’s on all day. No television or audio room treatments apart room furnishings and well filled bookshelves to the rear (the best kind of room treatment). According to MBL, their Omni’s work well in cluttered domestic chaos and that’s definitely me.

We have two sitting rooms, one is for hifi. The wife kindly bought a 65” OLED, but it’s bolted to the wall in the hifi room!

Thankfully we both enjoy music and both enjoy films and Netflix type series.

So a halfway house for me. Would love room treatment but it would clash with the décor!

I have no wish to have a dedicated room for the hi-fi. Music is a part of my life and therefore I want to listen to it where I live throughout the day not shut away. I accept that maybe my lounge/dining is not perfect for a listening space but I enjoy listening to music in it, either as background music or sitting down for a listening session. I know people who have listening rooms and whilst they clearly enjoy them I would never want one.

Just curious how many people have a dedicated listening room.

Yes here. It’s just a normal front room, but it has no other purpose other than housing the main system and record collection. It has no other function, e.g. no TV or anything. Just a music room. The other two systems in the house are in multi-use rooms.

I’d not want to be without a dedicated listening room. Multi-use rooms tend to bring compromise.

Recently moved house and new one has 2 lounges so finally get my my dream of a dedicated room. 13x14 feet freshly decorated, new furniture has been made to my dodgy design and once I finish making the spikes for it I can finally get it all set up. It will double as a movie room too as my wife isn’t into films at all. My hifi has been in storage for 18months so exciting times ahead!

Since 2012 a dedicated room, 7.3 m x 4.2 m x 2.4 m, lightly treated (4 GIK traps). Three independent mains circuits, wired ethernet, wifi.

Expectations were high, but ultimately it is somewhat underwhelming, acoustically. Too narrow and too low. Made my ESL-63s sound harsh.

The room has four operational music systems, a TV, the entire music and DVD collection, a library of music- and audio-related books, and small desk for electronics projects. It is also use as storage room for spare audio components. Family has access, but generally only uses it for private telephone calls, exercising, and temporary storage of whatever needs to be stored without getting in anyone's way.

Oh, once we put Son Number One's bed there after an accident kept him from walking the stairs for a few weeks.

I had the luxury of building a brand new house to my specifications just a tad over 10 years ago. So I specified a dedicated music room with AC outlets fed from a separate consumer board and optimally dimensioned to Louden's Ratios of 1.5:1:2.15 (4.05m x 2.7m x 5.8m).

AM-JKLXzD47l1kNvzDnoOO0RmlDTesSAinrntNK1lKFpxF9GKyXYzxl4ITmuPP7jg8eFwnrFe_Z55DnGlPYyTiqRldB-SmI_fBnFVWXAj93MvZihZJhho76UcOrx9KWR62DzDbqNrxYDq7o3KEHadW-5S0Ku=w2132-h1412-no

My only minor regret is not wiring in ethernet cables, but the wifi router does a good job for the streamer.

Expectations of great acoustics are fully met, which means I've basically not had to make any significant changes to the hifi except to swap my collection of loudspeakers and amplifiers around from time to time.

@Folkman - And yet another great room, well done in having such dedication to have one built, I see there is only one chair though, bet that pleases Mrs Folkman ;) :D

I had the luxury of building a brand new house to my specifications just a tad over 10 years ago. So I specified a dedicated music room with AC outlets fed from a separate consumer board and optimally dimensioned to Louden's Ratios of 1.5:1:2.15 (4.05m x 2.7m x 5.8m).

AM-JKLXzD47l1kNvzDnoOO0RmlDTesSAinrntNK1lKFpxF9GKyXYzxl4ITmuPP7jg8eFwnrFe_Z55DnGlPYyTiqRldB-SmI_fBnFVWXAj93MvZihZJhho76UcOrx9KWR62DzDbqNrxYDq7o3KEHadW-5S0Ku=w2132-h1412-no

My only minor regret is not wiring in ethernet cables, but the wifi router does a good job for the streamer.

Expectations of great acoustics are fully met, which means I've basically not had to make any significant changes to the hifi except to swap my collection of loudspeakers and amplifiers around from time to time.
The angle of that pic might be deceiving but it looks like the listening position is up against the back wall? If that's correct then, assuming you have speakers with omnidirectional output at low frequencies, how do you deal with the 43Hz axial mode that's at maximum pressure at the front and back walls? Do you have treatment built into the walls?

A bit multipurpose as i often work to music and we tend to accumulate junk but i built the room around a vague target for sound.

The glass helps tame the subs a bit and i move the sofa back if listening from there a lot; tends to improve the soundstage and let the speakers come together.

Listening to a vintage Bumpers sampler now which cost a child friendly 29/11d.

Amazing that some tracks then had some good bass if the system can find it, other have absolutely none!

The TT's through a pair of double doors to the immediate right on a good solid concrete floor with a pair of conduits through the wall.

Another photo!

Listening-room.jpg

advertisement

Back