advertisement

Dedicated listening room?

sls4321

pfm Member
Just curious how many people have a dedicated listening room. I assume this predicates a lot of audio equipment design based on the extent to which owners are likely to be able to manage their acoustic environment.

I suppose the first qualification is that you don't have to evict other family members to listen to music.
The second is that others may enter and it serves a practical purpose when not used for music.
The ultimate would include acoustic panels and decor of your choice, probably with a No Entry sign on the door.

I got to the second stage, but it took 28 years of time served.

I wish! But I do have a big room, and we both love music, so I have perhaps more freedom than most about how I arrange my speakers etc. And I do have 3 acoustic panels to pop about the place to attenuate some early reflections. Dedicated rooms are very difficult. I reckon you need to start with seriously non-parallel walls to create a reflection free zone, a goodly amount of treatment, and there is no real standard.

My living room could be described as a dedicated listening room, only one seat in the perfect place, streamer & speakers/sub, every wall and ceiling treated with 20 gik acoustic panels. I do live alone in a 1 bedroom tiny house so it’s entirely up to myself what I do with it and can listen as loud and as often as I wish due to my nearest neighbour being 100ft away.

Currently sat listening to this at a pleasant 85db

287925107_2370490286423256_4200393988504977642_n.png

I’ve had a fully dedicated room for my hi-fi since 1996. Everyone is welcome to it, but right now it’s a little hot – no air conditioning :p
I am lucky enough to live in the country and have a comfortable house with plenty of space.
There is also a second hi-fi system in the lounge.

I had the opportunity to build my own house a few years ago. Dedicated audio / video space "crept" into the spec somehow :)

Sound-proofed basement so I can go pretty loud even with bass down to 20Hz and not disturb others in the house or neighbours. I guess I would consider myself at your stage 3+ in that it is "my space" and I have covered the aspects you mention to various degrees, plus a dedicated power distribution board. Missing the no-entry sign, plus always scope for improvement over time.

Regarding "decor of your choice" - I have ended up with a pretty industrial look. Mid-grey walls and ceiling to reduce light reflections for the projector aspect. Would not win any awards for being pretty, but fairly functional. I would say there are major improvements in both audio and video enjoyment.

See my profile if interested in more details.

Dedicated room here, which has also served as my office the last couple of years. Well, if you count a laptop on my lap in a permanently-reclined listening chair an office. It's only a converted front garage but I couldn't imagine being without it.

Only at the second stage here too after 8 years. I was impatient and moved in before decorating. Being a mostly rectangular room (there's an alcove in one corner by the door) I'd been getting bass boom and other nasty effects, but before going down the rabbit hole of acoustic panels etc and after some help here moved the speakers around and ended up in a nearfield setup c5ft triangle. Stuck some rolled up duvets, boxes and stuff in the alcove and tried again. Sounds bloody great, and leaves more space in the room for the ever-expanding kit.

Just curious how many people have a dedicated listening room.

I have had a dedicated room for hifi and home theater about 18 years ago in my old house, fully treated. I now have the system in the living room, untreated.

Ironically I find the system to sound better and more enjoyable in the living room. I also enjoy the listening environment of the furnished living room better than the dedicated room (which to me feels little isolated).

Dedicated small room here for 22 years. Square 11ft by 11ft, a lively room with only one simple listening chair and I was expecting problems. No TV or other electronics - which is important.

Classical music and jazz sounds absolutely fine. I experimented with cheap sound deadening kit and it certainly deadened the sound, which was a backward step, it went into the bin.

Own room 5m x 4m plus bay. Probably category 3 but people can come in if they want to listen to music. No treatment apart from soft furnishings but just had it carpeted which has made a big difference to the sound for the better. Before it was painted floorboards with some rugs.

I wish. Currently in a mid-terraced house, and the hifi is in the main bedroom. But it's a fairly decent sized bedroom at 14ft x 13ft, and when not in use, the speakers are tucked in against the wall.

A wife friendly sideboard media unit, open framed speaker stands and nice veneered speakers (Spendor Classic) makes it more domestically acceptable.

Far from ideal though, as during critical listening, speakers are pulled well out into the room, and I'm sat on the bed rather than a listening chair. I'm a little high up, and there's a lot of soft furnishing in there.

Would love a dedicated room some day.

Depends what you call dedicated. My 2/3 of the long living room houses all hifi, record and CD collection+ TV (which is connected to the hifi). All hifi electrical connections are fully dedicated. I am dedicated (to my music). The only thing I could aspire to is a larger room, but if I knocked out any more walls, I'd be listening in rubble.

That's dedication folkman, what is the size of the room and have you given it the full acoustic treatment?

advertisement

Back