advertisement

Wireless burglar alarms

tiggers

pfm Member
Hi there,

Anyone on here with any knowledge of these.

Need to alarm 4 zones that can be set/unset independently:

2 are residential (separate properties), 1 is a garage and the last is some outbuildings.

Want 24/7 monitoring so trying to keep this to two panels max and use part arming for the different areas/zones.

Trouble is the zones are spread across about 150m so not sure how well the wireless signal will travel.

So far ERA Protect looks a good option as has cameras integrated into the system as well.

Any thoughts, ideas etc.?

I tried a Yale wireless alarm earlier this year when the wired one packed up. It was more trouble than it was worth, so I hope you can find something better.

With the residential properties would you not want day, night setting as this counts as two zones. Pyronix Enforcer have 6 zones but 150 m is too far. Any chance of running a cable ?

Have a look at verisure. They installed an alarm at my Mother’s house after she had an intruder. They can instal an alarm with cameras and send people round if the alarm is triggered. They called Mum when she accidentally triggered the alarm. We have been impressed with the level of service.

With the residential properties would you not want day, night setting as this counts as two zones. Pyronix Enforcer have 6 zones but 150 m is too far. Any chance of running a cable ?

Yes I can run a cable if necessary, but all the alarms I have looked at so far are solely wireless and use their own frequency/network so I don't think a cable will help. I could do with one that is a bit of a hybrid, but struggling to find anything.

Have a look at verisure. They installed an alarm at my Mother’s house after she had an intruder. They can instal an alarm with cameras and send people round if the alarm is triggered. They called Mum when she accidentally triggered the alarm. We have been impressed with the level of service.

You're not the first person to mention Verisure, but they only do pro-install. I would rather install it myself as I can take my time and properly hide any cabling (e.g. power for the panel/cameras etc.). I think I'll give them a call though and see what they say. Thanks for the post.

Yes I can run a cable if necessary, but all the alarms I have looked at so far are solely wireless and use their own frequency/network so I don't think a cable will help. I could do with one that is a bit of a hybrid, but struggling to find anything.

Pyronix enforcer is wired & wireless.

Sorry to thread crap, but is wireless 100% secure? I have a (likely unfounded) fear that wireless alarm systems can be blocked or otherwise interfered with by persons hell bent on breaking into places.
Ours is wired, but it’s also twenty years old. Just wondered if wired was still an option.

Mick

Sorry to thread crap, but is wireless 100% secure? I have a (likely unfounded) fear that wireless alarm systems can be blocked or otherwise interfered with by persons hell bent on breaking into places.
Ours is wired, but it’s also twenty years old. Just wondered if wired was still an option.

Mick

Is wired 100% secure ? The Pyronix system is miles ahead of DIY warehouse crap and fitted by professional companies. Both will definitely work to put of the casual scum bag, professional burglars are another matter entirely and if you require that level of security your insurance company will specify the level required, and you won't be doing it yourself.

Is wired 100% secure ?
Likely not. Ours was fitted by a NACOSS company and the system has an annual checkup. I’m sure there are ways into it but with the exception of the sounder on the front of the house on the first floor there’s no exterior exposed wiring at all so any shenanigans would presumably have to take place once an intruder was inside.

Interesting thread , so far i have only had wired alarms but companies now seem to only fit wireless . I always worry how long the batteries last ,whether a flat battery will trigger a false alarm ( sensor and bell box batteries)

In fact i was trying to persuade some folks to have an alarm today

Interesting thread , so far i have only had wired alarms but companies now seem to only fit wireless . I always worry how long the batteries last ,whether a flat battery will trigger a false alarm ( sensor and bell box batteries)

The Pyronix detector batteries last at least 12 months, you can check battery level from the main panel, they will trigger the alarm if allowed to flatten but this doesn't stop the rest of the system operating. If used externally in an unheated shed etc they might not last quite as long.

Anyone tried ajax wireless alarms ? Seems to have good reviews and longer battery life .chatted to my cctv and alarm installer today who mentioned it

I think a couple of reasons they only fit wireless these days is they probably charge you the same for fitting but without all the cabling to do, and most people will need them to come back every year or two to change the batteries.

advertisement

Back