advertisement

SME V cable

I’ve been meaning to ask you which cable you used on your M2 when you had it, and if you found any advantages to changing from Vdh, or did you use M2 with Vdh?

I like the vdH. I’ve not experimented much, but it sounds good to my taste and is very low capacitance so was a good match with the 2M Black, 540/II etc I used. I’ve not noticed any issues with microphonics with mine, though my deck is non-suspended and I’ve never tried knocking it or anything. One of the ground spades fell off, but I resoldered another on, so no big deal.

I’m not someone who’d ever pay £hundreds for a tonearm cable, so to be honest when I realised I had one I kept it. I was competitive on price when I sold the 301 and made it clear the lead was one I’d made (nice sommer studio cable and Neutrik plugs IIRC) so the vdH is still in use on the 3009 on the 124. I replaced the 3009 armbase with one identical to the M2.

I like the vdH. I’ve not experimented much, but it sounds good to my taste and is very low capacitance so was a good match with the 2M Black, 540/II etc I used. I’ve not noticed any issues with microphonics with mine, though my deck is non-suspended and I’ve never tried knocking it or anything.

I have yet to try any other cartridge other than VM95ML - I’ll probably replace my Hana ML before worrying too much about arm cable. The M2 is currently being used on a solid plinth 301, and despite the increase in microphony I’ve noticed (over my 3009s) it’s sounding great.

Neat idea to use M2 base on 3009.

that is the problem with the vdh cable

Thanks for that. I’m wondering whether it is a widely acknowledged problem.

Neat idea to use M2 base on 3009.

SME have been doing just this since the final version of 3009 Improved, Series III etc. They are available as a spare part from SME, but are crazy expensive. I picked mine up from eBay I think.

No microphonics from my SME/vdH cable, I’ve given it a good wobble and tapping and it is silent. This is with an MM input (I use an MP-500), obviously an MC has more gain, but it is certainly no issue in this context.

Initially I was supplying a Mogami 5249 cable with my tone arms and using the old SME right-angle DIN plug which I was sourcing for about €25 from Holland. That source dried up so I spoke to SME directly and they wanted £100 for each DIN plug! At that price I could fashion them with my own teeth. I now use another right-angle DIN plug.

advertisement

Back