advertisement

New cart for SME V, Audio Technica?

As you’re dealer is an AT stockist and I reckon this will be a bit brighter/more exciting, Euro 800
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/cartridges/type/moving-coil/at-oc9xsl

Considered a MM - means the stylus is an easy replacement and has a guard, Euro 700
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/cartridges/type/moving-magnet/vm760slc

Thanks for the links.
Both are under consideration.

PS if you still have a Bartok, the latest update is apparently worthwhile (my dealer was very happy with the recent update to his personal Bartok)

You heard or going to demo the dCS Apex upgrade?
Demo-ed it a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely a step up. The Rossini I have is great, the Apex is a little greater and since I already have the clock the Apex board is in my sights.
Perhaps my Christmas present to myself...

Demo-ed it a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely a step up. The Rossini I have is great, the Apex is a little greater and since I already have the clock the Apex board is in my sights.
Perhaps my Christmas present to myself...
The Bartok V2.0 update last month was a definite step up and free :) I’ll probably end up with the Rossini Apex in due course once I settle on a final TT to retire with, hopefully the World will be a quieter place by then.

(...) once I settle on a final TT to retire with, hopefully the World will be a quieter place by then.
For me that's the SME20/2a.

Apart from changing the belt and adding a drop of oil once in a blue moon, it's completely maintenance-free and sounds great. Any colour on vinyl replay comes from my relatively cheap cartridge-choices. The only reason I would consider change would be the unlikely appearance of a really great fully automatic TT.

The Simaudio Moon 810LP is also much, much more than competent - silent, detailed, great prat and extremely adjustable (although with the DIP switches underneath it's not necessarily the best choice for regular cartridge swapping).

For me that's the SME20/2a.

Apart from changing the belt and adding a drop of oil once in a blue moon, it's completely maintenance-free and sounds great. Any colour on vinyl replay comes from my relatively cheap cartridge-choices. The only reason I would consider change would be the unlikely appearance of a really great fully automatic TT.

The Simaudio Moon 810LP is also much, much more than competent - silent, detailed, great prat and extremely adjustable (although with the DIP switches underneath it's not necessarily the best choice for regular cartridge swapping).
I’m leaning to a Technics SL-1000 with an extra arm or two. A used SME and a couple other decks are in contention I’ll see what pops up nearer the time.

I have a Luxman EQ-500 stage which has front mounted controls, can take 3 arms and is very flexible so will probbaly remain cos I've been very pleased with it for a while now and have used it with a few different carts.

I’m leaning to a Technics SL-1000 with an extra arm or two. A used SME and a couple other decks are in contention I’ll see what pops up nearer the time.

I have a Luxman EQ-500 stage which has front mounted controls, can take 3 arms and is very flexible so will probbaly remain cos I've been very pleased with it for a while now and have used it with a few different carts.
I previously had an Aesthetix Rhea which could take 3 arms with independent front panel control of loading etc - after the initial novelty, I just never used the facilities. It had ten valves which I perceived as ten potential sources of problems, although they never did pose one. The Moon has greater adaptability and gives me instant music at the push of a button.

There's a lot to be said for good ergonomics.

Poor ergonomics helped push me away from the Chord DAVE - I'd already experienced the ergonomically challenged Chord DaC 64...

I lusted after an SME 20/2a for sometime and eventually sourced a real beauty.
Unfortunately I could not get it to better my Pink Triangle Anniversary Battery psu SME V which was a shock.

Thinking there was a problem with the arm I carefully set up the SME V arms from one deck to the other and still the same result in favour of the PT.
I sold the SME 20/2a and have two PT anni's.

Anyway on topic: I preferred Ortofon and Lyra MC carts in my SME V over AT carts.
My next stop is to try DS Audio carts when I can save up!!

I lusted after an SME 20/2a for sometime and eventually sourced a real beauty.
Unfortunately I could not get it to better my Pink Triangle Anniversary Battery psu SME V which was a shock.

Thinking there was a problem with the arm I carefully set up the SME V arms from one deck to the other and still the same result in favour of the PT.
I sold the SME 20/2a and have two PT anni's.

Anyway on topic: I preferred Ortofon and Lyra MC carts in my SME V over AT carts.
My next stop is to try DS Audio carts when I can save up!!
Two Anni’s is just being greedy :)

My excuse: One is older than the other mk1 to a mk3! possibly!. I also have three different DC motor PSU for them. The one psu that eludes me is the battery DC psu which defeats the mains supply when battery in use although the battery in circuit with mains psu sounds better to me.

Sorry off topic!!

My excuse: One is older than the other mk1 to a mk3! possibly!. I also have three different DC motor PSU for them. The one psu that eludes me is the battery DC psu which defeats the mains supply when battery in use although the battery in circuit with mains psu sounds better to me.

Sorry off topic!!

Extending the OT, apologies to OP - but I’m curious as I might have the PSU you mention - it’s battery and has an audible click as the charging relay turns on/off. I’ve assumed that has meant it runs on the battery normally and charges when it’s not playing.

Also to the OP - I have a Hana ML on a SME IV on my PTA, and it’s amazing, maybe slightly above your budget. But the stylus cover is very hard to fit - the best I’ve ever seen in this regard is the Lyra family where there are specific grooves in the body of the shell where the cover goes - it’s very easy and almost impossible to get wrong

Last edited:

It’d make for an interesting night’s DJing though.

Also to the OP - I have a Hana ML on a SME IV on my PTA, and it’s amazing, maybe slightly above your budget. But the stylus cover is very hard to fit - the best I’ve ever seen in this regard is the Lyra family where there are specific grooves in the body of the shell where the cover goes - it’s very easy and almost impossible to get wrong

As a former Dorian and Delos owner, I concur. I’m
sure I once read, in HFW presumably, that Noel Keywood destroyed a Lyra by using its stylus guard. “How on earth…?”, I thought to myself.

I would seriously look at the Soundsmith strain gauge cartridges instead - no going back after one of those...

I was seriously looking into the strain gauge a few years ago but the prices have become almost unattainable for me £10,000+, stumbled on a review of the DS Audio carts and performance to price ratio seems better at £3000-£5000 for entry level.

advertisement

Back