advertisement

Budget LP12 plinths

It doesn't matter what you do or how good it is, there will always be someone who tells you you're doing it wrong.

I think you're totally missing the point of what I'm doing here. Exotic and expensive LP12 plinths exist. If you've got a decks costing ten grand you're probably not averse to spending £1000 or more on a nice plinth. But there are lots of people running older decks for whom an expensive plinth is not proportionate or justifiable. While other woods may well be offered in the future, right now it's about what hardwoods we can get that let us keep the price down. Linn don't offer most of the woods you list, they keep it simple, yet their plinths still cost a grand. We're aiming to offer plinths of similar quality at the lowest possible price. The boutique market is already strong so why would we go there?

And I don't know what you're understanding of timber supply is but believe me, right now it's not as simple as you suggest.

Again, we'll be looking at different finishes and you should be able to get what you want but the lacquer is not rubbish. It's a durable lacquer specifically designed for timber, it's applied in a proper spray booth and the guy doing used to paint speakers for Tannoy until they shut the factory! We could use oil, we've tried that, but the reason we're going to make the lacquer the default finish is that it looks pretty good.

You'll be able to see the actual plinth you're getting and if you want it oiled, I'm sure that'll be ok. Or supplied unfinished and you can do what you like to it. But we're doing what we're doing. If you don't like it feel free to not buy a plinth or go ahead and make plinths the way you think is right.

Pig--

I hear your frustration as it's the automatic "thanks for coming in at the 11th hour and throw out the plan, bud" reaction when getting crits.

But I think you might want to look at the above (not the wood selection) but the oil/wax finish issue.

The pics you posted are somewhat "flat". I think you might put in as much work and money to get better results as indicated by buddy here.

My afromosia plinth looks as good as the day it entered my house in 1981 and it has corner pieces. Is there a good reason for changing other than "is as good as a rest" ?

No. The plinth is ostensibly cosmetic. Yes, it is structural and contributes to the sound but one hardwood plinth sounds largely like another. I don't even think the corner braces alter the sound much. They were added to improve structural integrity but even an old plinth still sounds fine. If they twist it can make set up a pain in the rear but they still work.

If you're happy with the look of your current plinth I would not change it.

If the azimuth is out though, I would fix that! It's a big deal and makes a big difference to performance. There are a few ways you can do it on the LP12. All footery and time consuming but yeah, you want to get that sorted.

As soon as I feel the quality is right I'll post Iain's contact details and you can deal with him directly. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible so there is no need for me to be in the loop.

Please explain to him he’ll obviously need a trade account to sell on my website, as this thread appears to be doing!

The pics you posted are somewhat "flat". I think you might put in as much work and money to get better results as indicated by buddy here.

The second plinth was done in danish oil. It looked ok to be honest. These samples in lacquer look..better! Both Iain and I looked at them and thought 'yeah, ok, this is good'. And it's quality stuff. I've attacked those samples to see how resilient the finish is and it's very good.

It's worth pointing out that there is no 'standard' plinth finish, not even from Linn. I have a limited edition walnut plinth which is a very flat finish but other Linn plinths have had a deeper finish and it has changed over the years.

Bottom line is it's subjective. That's why you'll be able to ask Iain for danish oil if you want or even getting the plinth unfinished to do what you want with it. Even a high gloss/piano finish should be doable. I'm not sure, we've not tried that yet but I don't see why not.

Please explain to him he’ll obviously need a trade account to sell on my website, as this thread appears to be doing!

He won't be selling on this site. He'll have his own facebook page or site. He doesn't know this site exists. Yes, this is my idea and I'm facilitating it this is not a money making venture. Yes, of course Iain will be making money, he's doing all the work and has put a lot of time and effort in already but the idea is to keep the price as low as possible. Which I think we are doing. Any additional overheads or fees would simply have to be added to the cost of the plinths, which defeats the whole purpose.

I'm sure people will recommend or comment on plinths they've bought just as they would with any other product they've bought but there won't be a permanent sales prescience on here or any other other platform. It'll be word of mouth. We can pay for advertising and sell plinths for £250!

Update on this.

Some Oak and Sapele plinths are finished, boxed and ready to go. I think there is about four of each? Not sure. Price is £250 plus post.

You can order them or request pictures and information from Iain Quinn at:

[email protected]

Feel free to ask me any technical questions as Iain knows squat about the LP12 ;0)

Once I've got some good pictures of the latest plinths I'll pop them up.

Hi.

I have a spare plinth and top plate that someone may be able to use to upgrade their LP12.

I may have a brand new belt and possibly a set of springs, washers etc. but I'll have to dig them out, as well an arm and cartridge, I forget which ones.

I'll add pictures tomorrow but remember I am not selling these, they are donations as I am not allowed to sell anything yet. They are free but you have to pick up from my hometown.

I have two 2 foot lengths 2'' x 2'' of South American Babinga that I bought about ten years ago intending to make my own LP12 plinth out of them.

Been stored inside since purchase.

I hit my head accidentally with one of them a while back, it didn't bounce.

Not giving those away though, just thought I'd share.

:D

I have two 2 foot lengths 2'' x 2'' of South American Babinga that I bought about ten years ago intending to make my own LP12 plinth out of them.

If you like I could ask Iain if he could turn that into a plinth for you?

I sent you a PM about the top-plate you've offered.

Hi.

I have a spare plinth and top plate that someone may be able to use to upgrade their LP12.

I may have a brand new belt and possibly a set of springs, washers etc. but I'll have to dig them out, as well an arm and cartridge, I forget which ones.

I'll add pictures tomorrow but remember I am not selling these, they are donations as I am not allowed to sell anything yet. They are free but you have to pick up from my hometown.

My apologies but I don't have any parts for an LP12.

I wrote the post in jest, intending to take a picture of some random record deck parts but I forgot.

I obviously did not think it through enough and I apologize for any confusion.

I do have some Thorens parts possibly off a TD165.

Just the plinth, top plate, sub-chassis (no springs, etc.), and both inner and outer platter.

Mr Pig.

Re your latest Trade sales post...

I must say your latest acquisition, Iain's Rosewood plinth looks spectacular!

I cannot see if it exists with your plinth, it probably does, but the pic resolution prevents me seeing it. I've noticed on my Greaves plinth's the top plate support rails have a top plate "burr groove" for want of a better description?

This is approx 0.5mm deep x 2mm on the top edge on the plinth side the rails. I've also noticed that some Linn top plates do have a discernible sharp burr on their underside from the pressing process. I would imagine given your's and Iain's knowledge and scrutiny of Linn's plinths this particular detail on the support rails has been taken care of.

They really do exude QUALITY!

Iain's Rosewood plinth looks spectacular!

There is one highly figured rosewood one left. I bought enough wood for four plinths but it was tight. Some of the wood had knots in it, we weren't sure you'd get four out, so I only sold three. Iain got four out though so there is one left unclaimed! It has knots on the back but once the hinge brackets and label are on they'll be mostly covered and the front and sides are very nice. Anyone fancy it, mail Iain!

Each plinth is out of a single piece of wood so the grain and colour matches. It's not obvious my my plinth is book-matched on three corners. All the ones not in the pictures! ;0)

I've noticed on my Greaves plinth's the top plate support rails have a top plate "burr groove" for want of a better description?

No, I've never noticed that? My old rosewood Greaves plinth does not have it and neither does my 2018 Linn plinth. I can't see it making a big difference. Any burr on the top-plate would be very slight, if it wasn't it might slice your hand open, so isn't going to greatly effect the fitting.

Plinths and top-plates do vary a little so some fettling to get a good fit is to be expected. Linn top-plates are pretty consistent but their plinths vary. My Linn plinth is 'big'. The aperture is both deeper and wider than many and the top-plate support straps are lower. So I've got about a 1mm gap at the back of the top-plate and it's down a bit from flush on the top. Some people pack the straps to get the top-plate flush but I'd rather have a clean, tight connection to the plinth.

Many of the features on the inside of the plinths vary and it doesn't really matter. For example, the support straps. Some go right into the corners, some don't. Greaves stapled them on, some people screw them on. Iain is sticking them on with Mitre Bond and screwing them on! Overkill as it doesn't make any difference but Iain likes the look of the screws so.

I only wish I had room for one, but with twelve TT's already taking up space here, I ain't got the room unfortunately.

I'm sure with the quality on display with yours they deserve to sell fast.

Like you Mr P. I don't like the top plate being flush with the top of the plinth. I prefer a slight recess to the top plate.

I wish you continued success.

I'm sure with the quality on display with yours they deserve to sell fast.

It's tricky. Iain is doing this as a side project, a paying hobby, which is one of the reasons they are so cheap but it also means he can only make them so fast. If they were promoted as hard as possible he wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.

advertisement

Back