advertisement

SME V cable

The vDH it comes with is competent. The Cardas Golden Reference is better in certain waysbut there is better still to be had.

Personally I've ordered Chord Signature TA to replace the vDH I returned to because the Cardas leaned too far towards the warm which did not really suit the Grado Sonata I was using until it got "dusted".

Surely SME’s own vdH 501 is as good as anyone would ever need. It should have come with the arm. I’ve got the RCA to RCA version on my 3009.
About 5 years back I got pricing from SME as I'd bought a used V which arrived without the cable and one of the tools so I bought a 3rd party cable

The complete kit of tools adds up to a fair price, therefore I have listed below what could considered the essential items and audio lead.

1. Audio lead #5900A £494.22

2. Complete box set (all 3 parts) £132.23

3. Instruction manual #5931 £13.46

4. Alignment protractor and bush #5911 & 5911B £32.74

5. VTA screw #5860 £14.39

6. HTA key #5892 £27.01

7. Ball ended wrench #5905 £32.17​

SME spares are indeed reassuringly expensive! Radically more so in recent years since they’ve changed hands. I remember 15 years or so ago you could buy a 3009 rider-weight for about £35, which I viewed as very fair given the machining and beautiful finishing, but now they wand that for an allen key!

PS I sold my old M2 with a nice DIY arm lead that better fit my slate 301 plinth (I sold the complete deck). I kept the vdH cable for my 124’s 3009, hence having it. I’d certainly not have paid £500 quid for it!

Yes, they quoted me £750 for a full service on a IV recently, but from what I understand you more or less get a new arm and it should be good for 20 years more service afterwards.

I'd look at one of Yannis Tome's cables or Audio Origami's offering

I have a genuine SME D502 cable and have to say I don't particularly rate it these days though it certainly was a big improvement on the standard Linn cable it replaced over 20 years ago.

The actual cable to use is probably either Mogami Neglex 2549 or Van Damme pro patch if you're using MC. Connectors to suit geometry and budget.

The VDH on my V became a bit intermittent, needing the occasional tap on a phono plug to talk some sense back into it, so when it was being moved from one deck to another I had it replaced with a Yannis Tome cable.

wiresandmore.. yes indeed I did get my IV done 3/4 years ago for about £680, mine did look slightly timeworn as it was a late 80's model. Came back looking like new, a piece of jewellery.

Chord Signature tonearm cable.. lovely sounding but beware of the deck/arm you intend to use it with. It is very stiff and I would suggest not suitable for bouncy suspended subchassis turntables.

wiresandmore.. yes indeed I did get my IV done 3/4 years ago for about £680, mine did look slightly timeworn as it was a late 80's model. Came back looking like new, a piece of jewellery.

Chord Signature tonearm cable.. lovely sounding but beware of the deck/arm you intend to use it with. It is very stiff and I would suggest not suitable for bouncy suspended subchassis turntables.
I have a relatively un-bouncy SME20/2a :) with its V tonearm.

The latest TA Signature seems to be a little less stiff than the first iteration of the Signature cables.

My Sme 20/2a is in my second system so the valhalla is about far as i would go.I use a koetsu onyx with the platinum upgrade.The v is one pf the few arms that can handle the heavier stone body koetsu cartridges

With my V I use Oyaide pa 2075 cable, sounds great and far superior to the vdh I had with my old 309 ,I just carried on using it with the V I have now.
Worth considering anyway.

Surely SME’s own vdH 501 is as good as anyone would ever need. It should have come with the arm. I’ve got the RCA to RCA version on my 3009.

I’ve been meaning to ask you which cable you used on your M2 when you had it, and if you found any advantages to changing from Vdh, or did you use M2 with Vdh?

I had the vdh cable but found it very microphonic I sold it.I will Try my friends nordest Valhalla cable

That’s interesting - as I have an M2 with supplied Vdh cable and was thinking the arm fitted with AT VM95ML when handling/cueing sounds more microphonic than anything else I’ve used recently. Is this normal?

Last edited:

advertisement

Back