advertisement

Tellurium cable with Naim amps

Ian M

pfm Member
Can I have some advice please on using Tellurium Q Ultra Blue speaker cable, 5.5M lengths, with Naim 135 amps. A quick scan of the Naim forum seems to suggest it’s OK to use. But is it? On the other end will be Rega speakers.
Thanks.

Hi! Not sure if it’s entirely relevant but…

I have a Naim amp system (82/NAXO/3HC/2x180). The 180s have been heavily upgraded by Avondale Audio, one of the benefits of which is that they no longer rely on the inductance of 3.5m of Naim cable to keep the output stage stable. Consequently, I have been able to swop the 3.5m Naim cable runs with 1.5m of Tellurium-Q Black speaker cable (as each power amp its quite close to its speaker in my system).

In an active system, this also means losing the 14m wiring loom from underneath the equipment rack! )

Definite improvement in detail and stereo image with a very slight ‘hardening’ of sound, which I’m happy with. Pretty sure results might be different if the 180s were stock Naim units. I believe that the minimum 3.5m of Naim cable acts to ‘mellow’ the sound slightly.

Perhaps Les at Avondale might be able to advise you more helpfully than me…

Can I have some advice please on using Tellurium Q Ultra Blue speaker cable, 5.5M lengths, with Naim 135 amps. A quick scan of the Naim forum seems to suggest it’s OK to use. But is it? On the other end will be Rega speakers.
Thanks.

No knowledge to TQ Blue, but TQB are well established among many Naim users.
The 5.5 mtr length should be an advantage with 135s.

I have TQ Blue with Naim Atom and old Shahinian Kompasses in my bedroom, and TQ Black 2 between Naim 250 power amp and B&W 804 D3s downstairs. In both cases, they are a like-for-like improvement over Naim A5 cable and work very well. However, many on the Naim forum swear by Witch Hat cables as the value-for-money cable choice for Naim.

Have you tried Rega’s own ‘Rega Duet’ speaker cable. Relatively cheap compared to other brands, including most in the tellurium range, and described by some as a ‘giant killer’. Also obviously a synergistic match for Rega speakers.
I have used with Rega RS3’s and RX3’s, and now using with PMC twenty5.23i’s.

Anyone else had a negative experience with TQ Black II speaker cables? I have NAP200 into Focal 906. I bought a pair of 2m TQ BII (going back to dealer) that was run in on vidar for 96 hours. It flattened the dynamics totally. What I love about the Naim sound is the dynamic contrast and foot tapping effortlessness, and this is what the TQ cables removed. Has anyone else had this experience? I was running AQ Rocket 44 from my old system, but it causes glare, sibilence, etc with Naim. I dug out an old 3m pair of mountain snow atlas. Wow, what a sound, it stomps all over the other cables! Massive dynamics, great timing, etc.

I swear by TQ black ll it stomped over previous stuff I had before ,chord,kimber and naim the ultra black interconnects are superb too.

Others will know more than I do, but my understanding is that all Naim amps need 3.5m of speaker cable to work properly.

Many Naim users (including me) are very happy with TQ Black 2 -very like Naim A5 but a bit better at just about everything.

Some others swear by Witch Hat with Naim, and some prefer Chord given their rooms and speakers.

There don’t seem to many comments on the Naim forum supporting any other speaker cable choices, tbh.

@PerF -fair point. In any event, it is worth checking whether that is a problem in this case

Some years back I ran TQB in 5Mtr length with my Olive Naim amps, a length which should be safe enough.

That cable had clearly rolled off top and bottom, while lacking in dynamic it had sort of coherent grey tone in my setup, which some may like.
I found better solution for my taste and need.

Naim spent hundreds of hours analising all kinds of cable properties and ended up with the trusted Nac A5. They have taken all the guest work out for you. I would never change my cable fot anything else. it would be like i know better than naim.

@PerF - that's strange, because it is so different from what I hear. Perhaps this just reinforces the point that every room, speaker and ear is different, so trial at home is important when spending that sort of money.

@justin65 - Fair enough - there are certainly plenty of smoke-and-mirrors salesmen in the world of cables, and my understanding is that Naim's original stance on cables came directly from Julian Vereker's view that cables make no difference (except those few that are not designed properly).

The fact that so many people who have heard non-Naim cables and moved away from Naim cables afterwards may have contributed to the existence now of Naim's Hi-Line and Super Lumina interconnects and SL speaker cables - Naim may have reassessed the whole issue and reached different conclusions. Mind you, some cynics will argue that Naim saw what was being charged for flash cables and could't resist.

In any event, Naim would now be delighted to sell you different and much more expensive cables, so the Naim of 2022 certainly thinks that the Naim of 2002 did not have the 'right' answer here.

Personally, I am happy to listen and decide, without loyalty. After all, Linn firmly believes that LP12s should feed Linn amplification and Linn speakers, via Linn cables. Given my tastes, system, room and ears, I am absolutely certain that would be wrong for me, but that does not mean Linn staff are deaf, incompetent or dishonest. It also does not stop me being very happy with my turntable.

Naim spent hundreds of hours analising all kinds of cable properties and ended up with the trusted Nac A5. They have taken all the guest work out for you. I would never change my cable fot anything else. it would be like i know better than naim.

No longer that Naim, its a French managed company with three important goals, profit, profit and profit.

NacA5 is long out.
Lumina (probably a Vertere variant) is the cable they want to sell because it gain a much higher margin.

Of course, if you want the cables believed to be the most appropriate by a lot of people at Naim 5 or 10 years ago, then that suggests a switch to Witch Hat (which is where several went), which would be cheaper than Super Lumina by some vast %.

None of that means there is anything wrong with A5 or those who like it - I used it for years. However, many who have actually tried alternatives then changed and we aren't all deaf or daft.

Naim Olive kit required 3.5m of then NACA4 the black kit is more forgiving fortunately or I wouldn’t be using it. NACA4 was fairly flexible but I still wouldn’t have space to coil 3.5 meters of it in the space available for my Hi-Fi, the massive inflexible beast that is NACA5 absolutely no way. I have to use something thin and flexible.

Anyone else had a negative experience with TQ Black II speaker cables? I have NAP200 into Focal 906. I bought a pair of 2m TQ BII (going back to dealer) that was run in on vidar for 96 hours. It flattened the dynamics totally. What I love about the Naim sound is the dynamic contrast and foot tapping effortlessness, and this is what the TQ cables removed. Has anyone else had this experience? I was running AQ Rocket 44 from my old system, but it causes glare, sibilence, etc with Naim. I dug out an old 3m pair of mountain snow atlas. Wow, what a sound, it stomps all over the other cables! Massive dynamics, great timing, etc.

I had a very similar experience to you unfortunately with TQ Black mk2. It will be my last try of exotic speaker cables. An old pair of Linn K20 and Van Damme speaker cables I have sounded much more balanced and enjoyable. TQ Black mk2 made everything sound bass heavy and out of tune……IMHE

advertisement

Back