advertisement

Tweek v. "Upgrade"

A tweek is a change that gives a small but noticeable upgrade in performance.

An upgrade is a change that cost a fechin lot of money and gives a small but noticeable upgrade in performance.

A tweak is a change that you think is an improvement

An upgrade is when it has been peer reviewed and there is consensus

@mansr - "verschlimbessern" ... I simply have to love German for its ability to be very precise. I have just added this to my active 20th century German vocabulary.

"verschlimmbessern
Vb. 'durch vermeintliches Verbessern schlechter machen' (von Lichtenberg geprägt, 2. Hälfte 18. Jh.); dazu Verschlimmbesserung f."

If I alter my active crossovers, or adjust the EQ in the digital domain and it’s sound dramatically better, is that a tweak?

Sorry, Mike. I had to look this up. Must have looked in the wrong dictionary.

Ho ho! I wasn't aware it was a word and sure enough, t'aint in my New O.E.D. It was supposed to be the verb stem 'to w.... Either too subtle or I'm losing my grip on pun humour (probably!):oops:

@Mike Reed: It also means this in its more standard usage,
"intransitive verb. dialectal, chiefly England : to sound with an abrupt twang. transitive verb. dialectal, chiefly England : to cause to sound with an abrupt twang."

@Mike Reed: It also means this in its more standard usage,
"intransitive verb. dialectal, chiefly England : to sound with an abrupt twang. transitive verb. dialectal, chiefly England : to cause to sound with an abrupt twang."

That sonic description has an echo. Peter. Confusion with 'twank' (which doesn't exist) and the guitar string sound twang perhaps? Hank Marvin (ex Crickets) was famous for his twangs.

Last edited:
One of the best upgrades I have had cost me nothing but gained me a lot of dosh - I removed the pre-amp and I was gob smacked by the slap-in-the-face improvement! That was years ago.

When I first went to work in Germany one of the local guys on downing tools on a Friday turned to me and shouted "frei zeit! - the most important words in deutsch!"

DV

For a while I was running both a legacy Radio Shak Lab400 turntable and an LP12/Aro/Armageddon/Prefix both using the (same) Lyra Helikon SL cartridge.
The LP12 was markedly better in all ways.
Then the RadioShak TT was 'tweaked' by platter damping, hot-wiring microswitches, replacing the signal flylead with much higher quality etc.
The RadioShak TT was then better in many ways than the full monty (at the time) LP12.
The Linn was sold.
That is the difference between a 'tweak' and an 'upgrade'.

advertisement

Back