advertisement

Are all kindles clunky?

I don't have problems with slow page turns but sometimes it turns more than one at once! I agree you can't beat a proper book for flitting around to reacquaint yourself with stuff.
But the joy of an e-book is checking references, without searching for the end of the book/chapter. Click-read-click and you’re back in the room

My gen 2 Kindle, keyboard version is still used every night. Always been delighted with it.

The built in dictionary can be very handy also.

Also access to Wikipedia entries are a blessing for slightly obsessives like myself. I use a swipe to turn page version which has some control s/w to suit different folk.

op when was the last time you did a power off and restart?

have you cleared the cache?

I have not only restarted, I have reset. It doesn’t help.

We have had mixed responses here on this thread, some people are happy with kindle - and don’t forget I’m happy with kindle for reading “linear” texts: popular novels and journalism. My problem, like Sean’s, is when I try to use it for complex texts, where I need to flick around fast.

Anyway, it certainly could be a problem with my device, which is from 2017. Amazon have a deal where I can try another at no risk, free returns if it doesn’t live up to my expectations. I may just take them up on the offer.

I have not only restarted, I have reset. It doesn’t help.

We have had mixed responses here on this thread, some people are happy with kindle - and don’t forget I’m happy with kindle for reading “linear” texts: popular novels and journalism. My problem, like Sean’s, is when I try to use it for complex texts, where I need to flick around fast.

Anyway, it certainly could be a problem with my device, which is from 2017. Amazon have a deal where I can try another at no risk, free returns if it doesn’t live up to my expectations. I may just take them up on the offer.

Have you updated the software? Should be automatic.

It likely depends how complex the texts are. eInk screens are slow and ereader processors are basic. Is it only slow with books with lots of graphics/tables or PDFs?

Maybe check out some YouTube vids to see how your Kindle compares. This channel is good.

There not really been any major improvements in ereaders since 2017, but newer will be somewhat faster. 20% faster they say. I have Kobos (which are basically the same as Kindles).

Thanks @notaclue, I watched the video. I came to the conclusion that my Kindle is probably working to spec and the problem is that I'm pushing it too hard. I think for some types of books I need hard copy, and for pdf I need a tablet. For most reading though, I can make do with a kindle just fine.

Thanks @notaclue, I watched the video. I came to the conclusion that my Kindle is probably working to spec and the problem is that I'm pushing it too hard. I think for some types of books I need hard copy, and for pdf I need a tablet. For most reading though, I can make do with a kindle just fine.
For PDFs I’ve found an iPad and an Apple Pencil great: you can highlight, underline, scribble notes in the margin, swipe to an app like Goodnotes to make longer notes.

For PDFs I’ve found an iPad and an Apple Pencil great: you can highlight, underline, scribble notes in the margin, swipe to an app like Goodnotes to make longer notes.

Sean, what app are you using? With kindle I can't search for text inside pdfs, which is a big problem. If I just open a pdf from my email (I'm not sure which app I'm using), I can search inside a pdf, but I don't have an indexed library of pdfs like in kindle (is that clear? Probably not!) And if I am reading a pdf and then put it aside, it doesn't remember where I left it when I reopen it.

(This post reads like gobbledygook, sorry!)

I went through this recently because I got tempted by some of these eink note book type affairs, but there are so many draw backs if you want to work with PDFs. In the end I got an iPad

If you are in apples ecosystem then simply stick PDFs into into your icloud drive. I am with Microsoft 365 so any pdfs go in there. Infact microsofts 365 app is so well integrated with its services now, I could not do without it and i can search and mark up right from within 365. really useful for my work. I get back home and mark up made in pdfs is right there on my desktop.

I got lucky and found 9.7 1st gen ipad pro for 100 quid. Battery could be better but its a joy to use with a pencil. My son was so impressed he has chocked in his 2019 macbook pro for an iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen and I have to say with pencil 2, its just amazing to draw with.

But the joy of an e-book is checking references, without searching for the end of the book/chapter. Click-read-click and you’re back in the room
I borrowed a Kindle to read G.R.R.Martin’s Game of Thrones books*, and for these books in particular, the Kindle edition has a killer feature: if you tap on a character’s name, a little box pops up showing the passage where they were first mentioned in the book. I read another one of the books on paper, and I really missed the instant answer to “who is this person again?”

__
*(yeah, I know the series is “A Song of Ice and Fire”, but GoT is what everyone calls them)

I borrowed a Kindle to read G.R.R.Martin’s Game of Thrones books*, and for these books in particular, the Kindle edition has a killer feature: if you tap on a character’s name, a little box pops up showing the passage where they were first mentioned in the book. I read another one of the books on paper, and I really missed the instant answer to “who is this person again?”

__
*(yeah, I know the series is “A Song of Ice and Fire”, but GoT is what everyone calls them)

Be nice if they did that for GCSE texts!

Sean, what app are you using? With kindle I can't search for text inside pdfs, which is a big problem. If I just open a pdf from my email (I'm not sure which app I'm using), I can search inside a pdf, but I don't have an indexed library of pdfs like in kindle (is that clear? Probably not!) And if I am reading a pdf and then put it aside, it doesn't remember where I left it when I reopen it.

(This post reads like gobbledygook, sorry!)
I use PDF Expert. I think you do need to have some idea where your file is but it suggests places to look, and if you’re downloading from email I think the iPad will give you the option of opening in the app, after which it will be saved there somehow? Anyway it’s pretty straightforward to use even if you don’t really know what’s going on.

advertisement

Back