advertisement

Are all kindles clunky?

mandryka

pfm Member
I hate my kindle because it is so slow, slow at turning pages back and forth, slow at responding to type, slow at searching. It’s just too annoying except for reading things where you start at the beginning and proceed in a linear fashion till you get to the end, like popular fiction.

I wonder if they’re all as bad and kindle is just not for me - or are there some kindles with faster processors?

the current one is the 11th gen. I have an older 7th Gen Kindle Voyage, and have never found it slow.

How full is yours?

They are what they are in terms of screen refresh. Much like amazons other electronics they are built to a price point so they can sell cheap and get you purchasing content, so they are rarely cutting edge. But you need to spend way more for something better.

They are what they are in terms of screen refresh. Much like amazons other electronics they are built to a price point so they can sell cheap and get you purchasing content, so they are rarely cutting edge. But you need to spend way more for something better.

Which e-readers are better? My problem is that I want to read it for the sort of book where you read something, and then 10 pages later, you realise that you didn’t quite understand what you read so you need to flick back. It was using it for a book by Slavoj Zizek which prompted me to start this thread in frustration!

screen refresh will always be different as the screen technology is different (e-paper) - but i have never (on my 7th gen) found it slow to turn pages.

They are built to a price, and will never be like a regular tablet

I use the Kindle app on the ipad most of the time. OK it’s hopeless in the sun, but otherwise it’s fine. Having said that, Signora finds the Kindle better, so horses for courses

I use the Kindle app on the ipad most of the time. OK it’s hopeless in the sun, but otherwise it’s fine. Having said that, Signora finds the Kindle better, so horses for courses

Yes I agree but if I use the iPad at night I can’t get to sleep easily - I think it’s a blue light thing. And the Kindle page and font and resolution is really very nice to read - that side of it is outstanding.

Yes I agree but if I use the iPad at night I can’t get to sleep easily - I think it’s a blue light thing. And the Kindle page is really very nice to read.
There is a night-time setting on the iPad which cuts the blue light. Worth a look?

screen refresh will always be different as the screen technology is different (e-paper) - but i have never (on my 7th gen) found it slow to turn pages.

They are built to a price, and will never be like a regular tablet

What I want, I think, is a regular tablet with the kindle app, but no glare, no insomnia side effects, and preferably an e-paper type interface.

I just use the kindle app on my phone. My wife has a Kindle Fire for reading and surfing which works fine.

Which e-readers are better? My problem is that I want to read it for the sort of book where you read something, and then 10 pages later, you realise that you didn’t quite understand what you read so you need to flick back. It was using it for a book by Slavoj Zizek which prompted me to start this thread in frustration!
I find it unusable for that kind of thing, I can’t see anything other than a physical book working.

My problem is that I want to read it for the sort of book where you read something, and then 10 pages later, you realise that you didn’t quite understand what you read so you need to flick back.

i do that with my Kindle Voyage all the time - no problem with page turning speed, which is within my expectations

I just spoke to amazon.

With regards to our Kindle device, they all have the same processor speed. The only changes and update that we have is with the storage, software and other basic details.

I don't have problems with slow page turns but sometimes it turns more than one at once! I agree you can't beat a proper book for flitting around to reacquaint yourself with stuff.

I have found that restarting my Kindle makes it more responsive. Worth trying if haven't you restarted it recently.

advertisement

Back