advertisement

AR speakers made in Great Britain

I should have added that my first speakers were AR4x bought from an american on assignment in the UK who was returning home. I suspect they were better than I thought since the rest of my system was mediocre at the time.

My first 'real' hifi speakers were a pair AR 4xa, bought age 15, along with a Rotel RA611 and a Garrard Zero 100SB.

Last I heard (about 5 years ago now), the Rotel was still doing sterling service for a mate's grandson. I'd be lying if I said I could remember where the speakers and deck went.

y first 'real' hifi speakers were a pair AR 4xa, bought age 15, along with a Rotel RA611 and a Garrard Zero 100SB.

My first system included Sinclair module 60(?) and garrard SP25 Mk2 with Goldring G800 (not E).

No wonder the ARs didn't sound their best!

AR18BXs were my first speakers, bought in 1988. They're still in use at my parents' house. Don't recall them being anything special, but might have to bring them home for a listen just for old time's sake.

Last edited:
I feel anything ‘Teledyne/AR’ was never real Acoustic Research.

After hearing a pair of AR4xa models in a record shop in Oxford, all other similar speakers sounded
dull & lifeless.
I never did manage to buy a pair, being happy with pair of AR7s.

My dream system at the time ( early/mid 1970s ) was an AR XA, AR amplifier and AR3a speakers.

advertisement

Back