advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: IV VONC

Status
Not open for further replies.
More from Russ Jones on that press conference (Twitter). I’m not too far from Blackpool, I look forward to see the vast banana plantations.

C4 News have just run a total car-crash interview with Social Mobility Commissioner Katharine Birbalsingh. Absolutely astonishing and worth catching on C4+1 if you missed it. The basic gist was “You, working class people, know your place! Don’t even try to compete with posh people with private school backgrounds. Not everyone needs to be PM or a wealthy banker, that’s simply not for you.”. She actually managed to word it even worse than that. Seriously, words fail me. WTAF?! Like a Harry Enfield character.
Is this it?
https://www.channel4.com/news/not-a...r-millionaires-says-new-social-mobility-chief

Could not bring myself to finish watching that. Class division has always been a major problem in this country and although I would not harm them last weeks shindig involving the royals demonstrates how they head the class tree!

I was round at mums for tea and whilst watching c4 news there was a section where he was attempting to lay a single brick, mum piped up and said “I’d take that brick and smack him across the face given the chance”, that’d explain why she got offered a free day off work when George Osborne visited the local pate factory where she worked a few years ago.

Why do folk agree to be in his puff pieces to camera when he’s out n’ about?.

She’s someone who has done well out of setting up a Free School, which has, ironically, built it’s reputation on getting kids into Russell Group Universities.
She was shockingly dim. She had a few slogans which she deployed but that was it. Reminiscent of their Britain’s Not Racist panel and their widely ridiculed sham report.

When a fast food pizza company throws shade at the government you know we are all ****ed

Not just Dominos, Ben & Jerry’s are now showing the way on the Tories Rwanda fascism (Twitter). An ice cream company with more backbone and willingness to stand up than our official “opposition” party.

PS In other news: Sunak has cost us £11bn (FT via Twitter).

He is always useless when he tries to do a task like bricklaying etc ,Mr useless ,not surprising he makes such a bad job of being PM

Cruelty and restriction of opportunity as a marketable ideology.
Ec3oDF6UMAAHg5u

I saw that too. I was only half-watching to begin with and was thinking who is this absurd prattling person and what's she doing on C4 News when it emerged she was the Social Mobility Commissioner. God help us.

She should be called the social immobility commissioner

C4 News have just run a total car-crash interview with Social Mobility Commissioner Katharine Birbalsingh. Absolutely astonishing and worth catching on C4+1 if you missed it. The basic gist was “You, working class people, know your place! Don’t even try to compete with posh people with private school backgrounds. Not everyone needs to be PM or a wealthy banker, that’s simply not for you.”. She actually managed to word it even worse than that. Seriously, words fail me. WTAF?! Like a Harry Enfield character.

I saw this, and it was disastrous. It seems to me that this whole social mobility project, which she is heading up, is to try and convince the next generation to become our unskilled (or perhaps skilled) replacements for the EU workers that have been lost because of Brexit. It's got so many of the hallmarks of a nefarious plot under this Tory Govt, such as a person of colour at the helm (so can't be racist), continual reference to "bankers and lawyers" (who everyone hates), coupled with vast word salads that barely disguises the real intentions. What about Doctors, Vets, Engineers, Scientists and a whole other plethora of highly educated careers, and which we also require in much greater numbers in the UK?

If this is moved forward with and taken up to any significant degree it will lead to a whole generation of people that struggle to survive on low wages, and thus become a slave to the system which allows the elites to continue to dictate and hold power. Thankfully, she is so bad that I find it hard to believe anyone would be convinced by a single word she utters.

Decent Guardian piece on the current situation by Aditya Chakrabortty, a flavour of which in the quote. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/10/britain-political-housing-health
What turns these symptoms of acute crisis into a chronic national breakdown is, as Lord Hill says, the rottenness of our political institutions. So profound is their decay that they can no longer properly face the problems, let alone tackle them.

Still reeling from the revelations of lockdown booze-ups, No 10 is focused solely on saving Big Dog. Cabinet ministers dare not call a halt to the entire farrago, perhaps realising that under another leader two-thirds of them would struggle to find gainful employment as milk monitors.

So much for Dishy Rishi being a safe pair of hands. Conservatives have traditionally been evil but competent. This lot would fail an arse/elbow test. 11 billion quid!

Rishi Sunak has been accused of squandering £11bn of taxpayers money by paying too much interest servicing the government’s debt. Calculations by the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, the oldest non-partisan economic research institute in the UK, show the losses stem from the chancellor’s failure to take out insurance against interest rate rises a year ago on almost £900bn of reserves created by the quantitative easing process. The loss to taxpayers is greater than the amount Conservatives have accused former Labour chancellor and prime minister Gordon Brown of costing the UK between 2003 and 2010, when he sold some of the nation’s gold reserves at rock bottom prices.

https://www.ft.com/content/90025f48-858f-40c5-a011-3f285f05e775

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back