advertisement

Technics T4P cartridge choices

deebster

Half Man Half Biscuit
Umpteen years after first lusting over them in hifi shops I now have a linear tracking turntable, namely a Technics SL-5.

It comes with the stock P24 cartridge and an aftermarket stylus, which whilst new is as far as I can gather a budget affair, so I'm on the lookout for something a little better. But it's slim pickings out there these days, with my initial searching only throwing up new Grado and AT models.

I have seen a few posts (naturally yours is one of them @Craig B) that suggest an old AT body with a new stylus, which I'd be happy with if I can find one, but it's still early days on my P-mount/T4P learning curve so before I put up a wanted ad any help from team pfm would of course be much appreciated.

Last edited:
New Grado T4P cartridges to £600
Tonar to £200 with Shibata
Jico SAS technics line contact Styli with sapphire diamond cantilevers to £300
NOS ortofon OMP30/40 Lots of options

You rang, Sir?

As I may have mentioned previously, one can't go wrong with the audio-technica P-mount series, now rationalized down to two models, a conical and an elliptical, here...

At £34.99, I'd be having the AT85EP (formally AT92ECD) which is bound to be an upgrade from even a fresh EPC-P24S, let alone one with an aftermarket replacement stylus assembly of unknown pedigree.

Last edited:
And as if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared…

...but someone's nicked half of his post o_O

More options than I thought then, which is good. Being very happy with a recent move from an AT95e to ATV95ML on my LP12 I was hoping for the same kind of thing here, for up to similar money. Not sure how far to take it with this table though so for now I've kept it simple and gone for an AT85EP. Thanks once again my man.

I really like this thing. Cute as a button, and almost totally hidden if you put an album cover on it. My 15 year old daughter's never shown much more than a passing interest in all things hifi but when I showed her it and she put on an LP she stayed with it for a couple of hours and is now making a mix tape.

advertisement

Back