advertisement

Hana ml on a stogi 12s

oceanobsession

pfm Member
Hi folks , looking at buying a hana ml , just wondering if it will work in my arm a kuzma stogi 12s , im using a cadenza blue at the moment , whilst it does everything great it lacks the quality of the cadenza bronze , both ortofon cartridges are now silly money so ruled out for that reason , also the blue is a bit noisy in the groove , hana ml is great in that department apparently , hoping someone understands the complience specs , hard for me to understand , phil.

Kuzma MCs might fit the bill Kuzma / Hana / Benz / Sumiko etc all share Excel corp generators , cantilever & Stylus

Hana ML user it's a superb cartridge.Tracks superbly and it's got a really nice airy top end and pretty transparent mid and good tight basslines.

Sorry can't give any input to your question - But enjoy your ML if you do get one - You won't be disappointed ;)

Hi folks , looking at buying a hana ml , just wondering if it will work in my arm a kuzma stogi 12s , im using a cadenza blue at the moment , whilst it does everything great it lacks the quality of the cadenza bronze , both ortofon cartridges are now silly money so ruled out for that reason , also the blue is a bit noisy in the groove , hana ml is great in that department apparently , hoping someone understands the complience specs , hard for me to understand , phil.
Not familiar with your arm, looking online appears its effective mass is 12g. This it?
https://www.kuzma.si/stogi-s-12-vta.html

The Hana ML compliance figure at 10Hz is 16 and it weighs 9.5g. Allow 0.5g for bolts.

Plugging those numbers into the VE Calc (8Hz Green) and Korf (red line positions look good) appears to be a good match.

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php

http://korfaudio.com/calculator

Last edited:
Thanks very much for all your help and advice , looking at the specs for the ml the output voltage is listed as .2mv but ive also found .4mv not sure what is correct , if its .2mv then its to low for me with a passive pre , but .4mv would be fine , thanks again phil.

Output Level: 0.4mV (ML) low output version feed into your MC input
Output Level: 2.0mV (MH) high output version feed into your MM input

Thanks very much for all your help and advice , looking at the specs for the ml the output voltage is listed as .2mv but ive also found .4mv not sure what is correct , if its .2mv then its to low for me with a passive pre , but .4mv would be fine , thanks again phil.
If you look on the table I posted your ML has 0.4mV output.

If you look on the table I posted your ML has 0.4mV output.

I'm always impressed by your extensive research, diagrammatic evidence and knowledge over diverse fields, Amber. All I know is that 0.2mV at 3.45 (?) cms/sec (American output standard) = 0.292 mV @ 5 cms/sec (Euro. standard). Similarly, if it's 0.4 mV with the American measurement, it'll be nearly a very healthy 0.6mV. I've no idea how Hana measure their outputs, though. Some cart's, like Koetsu, don't specify but are at the American standard. Lyra quote the output at 5 cms/sec.

Standardisation in hifi? Nah !

I'm always impressed by your extensive research, diagrammatic evidence and knowledge over diverse fields, Amber. All I know is that 0.2mV at 3.45 (?) cms/sec (American output standard) = 0.292 mV @ 5 cms/sec (Euro. standard). Similarly, if it's 0.4 mV with the American measurement, it'll be nearly a very healthy 0.6mV. I've no idea how Hana measure their outputs, though. Some cart's, like Koetsu, don't specify but are at the American standard. Lyra quote the output at 5 cms/sec.

Standardisation in hifi? Nah !
Thanks for the compliment :)

Aye it's a bit of a pita not having alignment and measurement global standards. Unless the specs say different I presume they used 5cm/s @ 1kHz, if they show 3.54 then I multiply by 1.4, so yeah it could well be a much higher 0.56mV for that Hana. Like the Compliance 10Hz and 100Hz - it's a kludge converting across.

I'm thinking about buying a Kleos SL but haven't looked into the specs properly yet, my stage is a Luxman 500 which is pretty flexible.

There are some detailed discussions on a few forums about various cart measurements and how they are made/converted. Recent one on Hoff that goes into different test records - mono/stereo coils etc. in relation to Output.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/measured-output-of-phono-cartridges.1054624/

ATB
Gus

The Hana ML is a great cart but don’t overlook the dynavector XX2 mkii and my personal favourite Audio Technica ART9

Unless the specs say different I presume they used 5cm/s @ 1kHz, if they show 3.54 then I multiply by 1.4, so yeah it could well be a much higher 0.56mV for that Hana.

Reading that Hoffman link, which centres on m.m. outputs (same diff. though, I guess), the conversion figures (v2 ? What is that?) are different to to ones I was given many moons ago, which is to multiply the 3.54 figure by 1.6 to get the equivalent 5 cms/sec output. I've never needed to do the opposite calc. for obv. reasons.

One of the posts says that Benz uses the lower 3.54 figure (but he did say 'I think') but they don't; after all, why would a European manufacturer use the American standard? Of course, I'm only interested in m.c. cart's with their comparatively tiny outputs. Lyras (I've had 2) were stated 0.5mV (5 cms/sec)
but I noticed that more modern ones have upped that to 0.55 mV. I've only come across VdH and Koetsu basic range to theoretically top that (0.8 & <0.6 resp.)

That link did emphasise that measuring methods varied and could well influence the stated outputs by +/- a fraction. My Trans. Proteus states 0.2 mV at 3.54 cms/sec, which translates, if I'm right, to 0.292 but from the off and 800 hours later, its output seems a lot healthier than that. However, my K. Vermillion also has the same output but required more volume when last used 6 years ago.

Oddly, as I hate complexity and am totally non technical, I've long been fascinated by the cart./tonearm/phono stage chain. There are just so many variations in tonal and s.q. outcome, all depending on very different parameters of each link in the chain. Maybe because it's an entirely different ball-game to sticking on a CD and pressing 'play'!???? I never ventured into other digital forms (lack of interest and accelerating age, I 'spose). Playing with magnetic tape was a very creative thing and thoroughly absorbing in days or yore, come to think of it; great fun with Revoxes, Tandbergs and the top cassette recorders coming in at that stage.

Purchased the hana ml , liking what im hearing at the moment , lots of air quiet in the grove , punchy bass , how long does it take to run in . phil.

Hi Phil,

I found with mine it really opened up even more from 20 - 50 hours after that it's pretty much done.

I did ask my dealer with regard to using my AT Vibration stylus cleaner on it and they got in touch with the Hana UK importer and they said use a brush instead.
I got a project stylus brush from my dealer which works fine.The Hana supplied brush is very soft.

It's a lovely cartridge - Hope you get lots of pleasure from it ...I certainly do :)

paid £870 for a new hana ml so bit of a bargain , i was also looking at the phasmation cartridges , but now feel ive made the right choice , stylus gaurd is a bit fiddly , fitted it to the kuzma 9 , will try it on the 12 kuzma at some point , loading seems happy at 100 ohms , seems to like the unipivit , not sure the cadenza blue that i have on the kuzma 12 likes the unipivit , thanks to all for help and advice .phil.

advertisement

Back