advertisement

£8 pint

We’ve just been for a meal for two. £135..pre-covid it would have been £80 / £90. We’ll be out less often.
We did lunch for £160 the other day, but it’s so long since I last went to the Orrery, I have no idea how much it was pre covid. As we live in the middle of bloody nowhere and have two small children we never go bloody anywhere ever.

We often spent Flora Day in the Blue Anchor. I’ve seen peeps drink a full pint of another man’s piss and seen punters fall ten foot into the adjoining garden, dust themselves off and be helped up by mates and given another drink. Then there is the four mile walk back to Porthleven for a decent sleep. We live there now and are more sober but still have a little smile when we walk past the holiday let we slept over twenty people in one night all them years ago.

That was probably us lot (not the piss bit), my girlfriend at the time (over 30 years ago) lived on Meneage Street. Think I managed 4 Spingo one year before passing out. Carnage. I like leven, some good nights at the ship, lovely spot.

That was probably us lot (not the piss bit), my girlfriend at the time (over 30 years ago) lived on Meneage Street. Think I managed 4 Spingo one year before passing out. Carnage. I like leven, some good nights at the ship, lovely spot.
The night before driving back to Leeds from Cornwall my wife and I and another couple spent the evening in the Blue Anchor. My mate and I played Space Invaders in one room leaving our wives in the bar. They must have had more Spingo than us. Both of them spent the journey home with buckets in their laps.

I used to enjoy the variety of the craft beer scene but there’s now far too many on the bandwagon producing over- strength, over hopped, overpriced mediocrity. I went back to enjoying a well kept local ale (Wye Valley), but do enjoy a third pint flight if the beers look interesting. I guess £4ish seems to be the norm around here.

I guess that’s still reasonable when you compare, say, with the ludicrous splash of whisky (add your fav spirit here) that constitutes a measure. I always assume they’re offering a free taste first.

Lunch at the local today. Two meals (main & afters) and four drinks will come to £50.

At least you have standards there. In Wellington NZ they call 425ml a pint. Last one I had was $14 (£7.20) which works out at £9.62 for a pint.

Before a game at Anfield I usually pop into The Clock for a few beers. Two pints and change from a fiver.

Two bob for a pint of Ind Coope bitter. Half a Crown for a Double Diamond.

Which worked wonders back in 1970.

Blimey! That's enough to turn a man to drink.
Everyone preloads at home now because the green bottle beers are $20 a dozen in the supermarket and $10 - $12 a bottle in the bars.
The bar owners constantly whine to the media about people coming in drunk and not spending enough money.

Just checking a credit card statement and was reminded I paid £3.29 for a pint in Camden a couple of weeks ago, with CAMRA members discount.

£2.10 for a pint of 4.7% IPA in Wetherspoons today. Oddly, the big name crap (eg. Fosters) is way more expensive in Wetherspoons. Think a pint is around £3.50-£4.50 in most other places up here.

£2.10 for a pint of 4.7% IPA in Wetherspoons today. Oddly, the big name crap (eg. Fosters) is way more expensive in Wetherspoons. Think a pint is around £3.50-£4.50 in most other places up here.

Here's a review of our local spoons. Does make you wonder what the reviewer would rate 1 star ...and why he keeps going back?!

z9eezl6.png

Here's a review of our local spoons. Does make you wonder what the reviewer would rate 1 star ...and why he keeps going back?!

z9eezl6.png

One time I ordered the vegan breakfast in the local ‘Spoons it arrived with two fried eggs on it…some would no doubt say ‘serves you right!’. It’s generally good in there though, notwithstanding the often sticky tables and in places the food debris covered floor. In fairness, they do very well considering the enormous menu and footfall.

We usually go to micropubs and Camra-rated real ale pubs. I’ve managed to get my partner into Imperial stouts recently. Crazy stuff like 10.8% peanut butter, marshmallow silliness. Not for me but he likes them!

z9eezl6.png
Price?:)
@Ponty. The Ship is still a fine pub I’m glad to say. Given its size, position and layout it should avoid being improved. We aren’t regulars but like the occasional winter evening session. It’s on the Breage-side of the harbour so you have to keep your wits about you for ne’er do wells….

advertisement

Back