advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bother, Suck Here is going to have to do a quick reverse ferret and dig out his pledges and principles if he can remember where he dumped them!

Or rather, the Compass think tank arguing that Labour should stop rejecting progressive policies simply because they are associated with Corbyn.

Very fair article I thought.
His policy platform and manifesto commitments in the 2017 Teresa May Strengthen My Hand GE were spot on.

Labour MP Ben Bradshaw on board with PR (Labour List). I am detecting some movement on the Labour benches, it will be interesting to see what happens at party conference this year. I’m not getting my hopes up. I’ve been arguing for this since before I was old enough to vote and progress is bafflingly slow, but good to see the argument being made within one head of the dinosaur.

Interesting watching the four-way dynamic between the RMT, the media, and the two-faces of Labour over the proposed strikes in a couple of weeks. The RMT and right-wing media obviously have their positions, but other than a few breaking ranks to support (Streeting, Nandy, Burgon etc) Starmer is firmly perched atop the party’s now famous and well-worn fence of ambiguity and evasion.

This one is probably Starmer’s first real test. Are Labour still the party of the trade union movement, or will he whip to join the Tories and far-right tabloid press on this one the way he did with the Rwanda fascism? How would such a decision play out with regards to future Labour funding? No clear win, and I sincerely hope the ambiguity fence fails and forces a decision.

Interesting watching the four-way dynamic between the RMT, the media, and the two-faces of Labour over the proposed strikes in a couple of weeks. The RMT and right-wing media obviously have their positions, but other than a few breaking ranks to support (Streeting, Nandy, Burgon etc) Starmer is firmly perched atop the party’s now famous and well-worn fence of ambiguity and evasion.

This one is probably Starmer’s first real test. Are Labour still the party of the trade union movement, or will he whip to join the Tories and far-right tabloid press on this one the way he did with the Rwanda fascism? How would such a decision play out with regards to future Labour funding? No clear win, and I sincerely hope the ambiguity fence fails and forces a decision.
This is certainly an opportunity for Starmer to stand by one of his core principles

52137807191_c83528294f.jpg

I guess we will have to see how firm that stand is. Any bets?

Street ing and Nandy are starting their leadership bids, which will involve pretending to the members that they share their values. Starmer’s already been through that rigmarole and can get on with the real job of leadership, pleasing the press.

Street ing and Nandy are starting their leadership bids, which will involve pretending to the members that they share their values. Starmer’s already been through that rigmarole and can get on with the real job of leadership, pleasing the press.

Too early for leadership bids, surely? Starmer has to be safe until he loses the next election.

Are train drivers paid more than nurses?

Almost certainly, though I thought this action was about job losses and restructuring rather than pay.

Too early for leadership bids, surely? Starmer has to be safe until he loses the next election.

Almost certainly, though I thought this action was about job losses and restructuring rather than pay.
Not imminent but Streeting will use the QT clip to burnish his "left-wing credentials" in a slick video promoting his leadership bid, when the time comes. The truth is he's as right-wing as they come (to the right of many Tories) but he knows he has to appeal to the broadly soft-left membership to win a leadership election.

Compare the video Starmer launched his campaign with:

The idea that he ever intended to honour these left-wing commitments seems laughable in retrospect, but here we are.

Streeting will try the same bait and switch. Shame on party members if they get fooled again.

That’ll be Streeting who was reported by sources from labourlist to the DM as saying:

‘Every day, we should drag a sacred cow of our party to the town market place and slaughter it until we are up to our knees in blood.’

Either it’s them playing the long game, or the fact that he and Nandy are backing the RMT means that (for whatever reason) it’s likely Starmer will, too - no way Streeting outflanks Starmer to the left.

We’ll see. But what we’ve seen so far is that the Labour right absolutely do not care about maintaining left wing support and will go out of their way to spurn it - except in one very particular context, which is getting elected to lead the party.

Not imminent but Streeting will use the QT clip to burnish his "left-wing credentials" in a slick video promoting his leadership bid, when the time comes. The truth is he's as right-wing as they come (to the right of many Tories) but he knows he has to appeal to the broadly soft-left membership to win a leadership election.

Compare the video Starmer launched his campaign with:

The idea that he ever intended to honour these left-wing commitments seems laughable in retrospect, but here we are.

Streeting will try the same bait and switch. Shame on party members if they get fooled again.
Who is the genuine (hard) left alternative for the leadership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back