advertisement

Storing Vinyl in a shed advice.

Another possible approach. Box them and put the boxes into strong plastic bags (the sort used for building waste):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014QBQKDO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Add some rechargeable silica-gel packs to each bag and then seal them as well as you can. Check periodically to see if the silica gel needs to be recharged.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08NWBWSZF/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I've not done this for records but the same principle is used to store antique cars here in the US.
This mght work, but isn't the point of a record collection that you, notionally at least, have it available to view and possibly play? If you bag it up like this you'll never see it again, in which case you might as well have bought stocks and shares and had an income.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Time for a rethink. If you don't want your LPs in your bungalow you probably don't need the LPs. Either re prioritise keeping the LPs inside or move them on. Life changes and maybe it is time to stream ...

I had my record collection in the garage for about 10 years. They survived pretty much intact apart from mice having a nibble at some covers (fortunately they were not albums I really wanted to keep).

The best advice I can give is to make sure that the storage is free from damp. A draught might actually be good as it will help keep the records dry. Lastly, make sure that they are closely packed. The records will experience some fluctuating temperatures and keeping them tightly packed will avoid warping.

If the only external part of the structure is the door it's not an outbuilding and, I would suggest, not really comparable to a shed. As long as it's dry there really shouldn't be a problem, subject to caveats about vermin and storage methods as above.

I'd also add, definitely weed them too.

it doesnt sound to me to be a shed. What kind of walls does it have? bare brick? or similar. If it has no heating - couldnt you get a plumber to extend the heating?

it doesnt sound to me to be a shed. What kind of walls does it have? bare brick? or similar. If it has no heating - couldnt you get a plumber to extend the heating?

Depending on the age of the house, lean-tos tend to share the type of brickwork common to garages, outhouses, etc - i.e. single brick thickness. Problem with this is that the more you heat the more you have to carry on heating - most bricks are porous and moisture gravitates naturally from the outside (rain) to the inside (dry). Take away the source of heat and there is nothing to dry out the wall on the inside.

Our '50s semi (in common with all the houses in the street) has a single-brick bay upstairs - a nightmare for black mould unless some form of lining is added.

Depending on the age of the house, lean-tos tend to share the type of brickwork common to garages, outhouses, etc - i.e. single brick thickness. Problem with this is that the more you heat the more you have to carry on heating - most bricks are porous and moisture gravitates naturally from the outside (rain) to the inside (dry). Take away the source of heat and there is nothing to dry out the wall on the inside.

Our '50s semi (in common with all the houses in the street) has a single-brick bay upstairs - a nightmare for black mould unless some form of lining is added.

:rolleyes: thanks for the mansplain.......

Apologies I’ve got around 1000 vinyl LPs that need storing , I fell and broke my ribs badly on Thursday so haven’t been online. Pain and muscle spasm has been horrendous since

Id also try almost anything else - do you know anyone with spare room in a house? There is no way I'd leave my records in my garage which is dry as a bone, I just wouldn't take the risk.

unfortunately my elderly mum is a collector of clothes and has had a compulsion to buy stuff from Charity shops etc so there is practically no room in her two bedroom house. She also has a compulsion to buy vinyl records but sadly she will by anything and anything by anyone. I take her out twice a week and she buys records which she has got numerous times before. For example Abba Arrival which I think she now has 8 times and don’t mention Leo bleeding Sayers albums. To numerous to mention. And the ladies not for relenting due to this unfortunate hoarding issue!.

i think she’s got more K tel albums than K Tel made!. Absolutely ridiculous but she enjoys it so who am I to judge!. Although 5,000 albums in a two bedroom house is a bit much even I think!.

Get well soon - that's horrible.

thanks for that Gav, was in A & E for three hours and they wouldn’t do anything said if your spleen had been punctured Yoy would be dead already! And the bones on that side are all in pieces!. Didn’t even do an X-ray and the pain is absolutely horrendous, am trying to sit can’t and can’t lay down as I can’t sit back up again!. Not good and I’m having to move in 4 weeks

e9X2qZ8

This is what the sheds look like from the outside built into the property, haven’t seen inside them as yet as haven’t got the keys

https://imgur.com/a/e9X2qZ8

advertisement

Back