advertisement

Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee Thread

And what is the difference between current royal family and current royal assets with no royal family in income generation terms? Versailles still makes a bob or two with nobody to live in it.
Give me Cornwall and I could produce assists worth a few £m. Especially if I did a Charles and only paid tax on a voluntary basis

We live in economic chaos with 4.3 million children who live in poverty while vast wealth goes to a tiny few symbolised by a monarch, but, yeah, so long as we bet a 4 day knees up, who cares?
There's 11M children in the UK, and you're saying more than a third live in poverty? Anyway, cheer up, the Queen is surely almost dead!

There's 11M children in the UK, and you're saying more than a third live in poverty? Anyway, cheer up, the Queen is surely almost dead!
You’re right, not a third. More like half if the trend from 2018 has continued

52125408660_f1f5b87b51_w.jpg

I have no great love either way for the Monarchy but the elephant in the room is - who or what takes their place? I remember the debacle in Australia after the Whitlam Scandal and the endless arguments about what mechanism should replace the position of H.O.S. Guess what, it’s still the UK Monarch and Australians were quite happy to go for a full Republic at the time. The Australians rejected the Offered Referendum apparently preferring a directly elected H.O.S Which I. Have a concerns given the parlous state of democracy now and possibly for some years perhaps Charles and Wills doesn’t seem such a bad idea.

Had a good day chatting with the neighbours yesterday, a couple of glasses of some sparkling stuff, a cup of tea, some cake and biscuits, and of course, a toast to the Queen.

If it's about bringing in the dosh, why not make Ed Sheeran the King? He would bring in much greater revenue that the Windsors by doing high-priced concerts and selling official Royal music and merchandise. They could market him as the True King of Pop/Rock'n'Roll™.

The Queen does nothing like that. Neither does (future King) Charles. He just prattles on about nonsense and sells a few organic eggs and scones at hugely inflated prices.

No talent. Not earning their keep.

A bit harsh about Charles, he was talking about and raising concerns for the environment and global warming way before it was mainstream. I wouldn’t call this nonsense…

A bit harsh about Charles, he was talking about and raising concerns for the environment and global warming way before it was mainstream. I wouldn’t call this nonsense…
Yes, Charles has a good record of talking about global warming: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/may/09/prince-charles-climate-change-sceptics
But how much would you pay an environmental activist per annum? The fact that he is on the right side of environmental issues is hardly proof of his value for money.

And, besides, there is an air of talking-the-talk but not walking-the-walk about him - he is a heavy user of private jets: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charles-took-three-private-21364381

Charles is selective about his environmental concerns though as he still appears to be an active participant of bloodsports (as are the whole lot of 'em as far as I know), and all the pressure on native wildlife that goes along with those activities.

Where do all these starving children live? And how does this contrast with rising levels of chubbiness?
It is a measure of poverty, not waist lines. That we have a government that has put up £24m for a 4 day knees up with such ease, while at the same time being so unwilling to tackle child poverty is frankly immoral.

Another issue is lottery money going to the Jubilee Celebrations. Is a 4-day knees up in a time of expanding poverty really a good cause?

Yes, Charles has a good record of talking about global warming: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/may/09/prince-charles-climate-change-sceptics
But how much would you pay an environmental activist per annum? The fact that he is on the right side of environmental issues is hardly proof of his value for money.

And, besides, there is an air of talking-the-talk but not walking-the-walk about him - he is a heavy user of private jets: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charles-took-three-private-21364381
Yes. And having multiple very large, old, draughty houses for him to live in occasionally cannot be environmentally efficient

It must be nigh on impossible to determine precisely how much revenue the monarchy generates. As I and others have pointed out, Republics such as France and the USA continue to attract huge amounts of tourists. Do people visit the U.K. from Japan, New Zealand and the USA because of the monarchy? Or is Buck Palace, Windsor etc just on a bucket list alongside Stonehenge, Madame Tussaud’s, Stratford-on-Avon, Edinburgh Castle and Hadrians Wall? Because that’s all the Monarchy are really, just Harry Potter in (slightly) different costumes and with (slightly) less arcane ritual.

And where does this supposed vast revenue go and to whom? Does it benefit the U.K. as a whole? It certainly doesn’t seem to be doing much for the families in Scotland who can no longer afford school meals

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/06/families-scotland-school-meal-debt-aberlour

or the millions using food banks, who want food that can be eaten cold because they can’t afford the gas and electricity to heat meals

https://www.theguardian.com/society...tems-eaten-cold-mind-blowing-says-jack-monroe

Meanwhile we’re encouraged to celebrate one of the richest women in the world whose vast personal wealth mocks her subjects, who are expected to demonstrate due deference while she stuffs her chops with a banquet that costs as much as a struggling family will spend on food over six months.

You can delude yourself that it’s all about celebrating ‘Britishness’ and bringing people together for a good time. But you cannot escape that supporting the monarchy is, however inadvertent, a de facto support of the idea of some people being innately superior to others due to an accident of birth, and that a particular human being has been appointed by God to rule over the rest of us, i.e. you support inequality and promote superstition.

The perpetuation of a feudal relic in the 21st century, is outdated, anachronistic, backward, elitist, ridiculous and downright offensive.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back