advertisement

Star Trek TOS & movies

gustav_errata

pfm Member
I've got about 10 episodes left to watch in my first time through Star Trek: TOS. I just ordered the 4k Blu-ray box set of the first 4 movies. Should I finish the series before watching the films or can I dive right in?

Bonus question: any thoughts on letting my 5 year old watch them? Too soon?

Last edited:
Go for the films any time you like. The (unsaid) premise is that The Motion Picture takes place about two years after the end of Kirk's five year mission. The Enterprise has been rebuilt to 1979 standards and it's all about Kirk and Spock finding themselves. Also includes a very attractive bald woman.

The Wrath of Khan takes place a good few years later, after Kirk has (likely) completed another 5 year mission and once again been booted upstairs (don't ask). Anyhow, it's a great movie. 3 and 4 complete a trilogy which 2 begins.

We don't talk about 5.

6 is superb and completes (or does it?) the story of Kirk and his crew.

You'll need to watch all 7 seasons of The Next Generation before graduating to movies 7-10.

By the way, the Director's edition (Robert Wise no less) of The Motion Picture has just been restored to 4K. If you have Paramount Plus, fill your boots.

Anyway, hope you like them!

Nic. (Deputising for Joe as it's still early over there).

Bonus: There are a couple of bits of 2 & 3 I wouldn't think are suitable for a 5 year old. 1 is pretty subtle in that regard and 4 is 100% U certificate. Five is shit for all ages, but 6 contains a lot of blood albeit pink.

Nic has it. Clearly the mindmeld across the Atlantic worked.

As for episodes kids might like or find terrifying… That’s much harder to say. My daughter at five was terrified that computers might kill you after seeing The Ultimate Computer, but was fine with the Talosians from The Cage, which I thought would give her nightmares.

Many bedtime stories afterwards involved our trips to Talos IV. Her fave was the time her stuffed emu beamed down to Talos IV and was taken captive by the Talosians. Despite having an intellect that is shockingly limited the emu escapes much like Rod Hull’s emu might. Somehow, the Talosians did not see that coming perhaps because of their difficulty reading primitive emotions.

I guess you had to be there.

Joe

If you get to the point where you're sharing Star Trek comics, you may have a "problem"

3KlSyBR.jpg

Also acceptable: N-C-C-1-7-0-1, no bloody A, B, C or D.

Joe

If you want to watch possibly the best Trek movie first, go for the first reboot film, Star Trek (2009).
(Scotty, beam me out quick!)

No love for TOS the animated series I also thought that was great when i was younger. I couldn't get enough Trek in those days. Its available on Netflix

Thanks everyone. We're watching the 4K restoration of the Motion Picture now (rated U). It's been fine for my son. I'll hold off on showing him the later ones until here's older.

Right we just watched the theatrical cute from the box set. I don't have Paramount+ unfortunately.
Don't worry. You can watch it when it comes out on physical media in September. STTMP was flawed on release (a lot has been written about this). In 2000 Robert Wise re-made it, and it's significantly better imo. Sadly it was only ever standard def (it was designed for DVD release). We've had to wait until this year for a high def version. Exciting times!

Right we just watched the theatrical cute from the box set. I don't have Paramount+ unfortunately.

Your 5 year old son sat through Star Trek The Motion Picture without fidgeting? Amazing!

(the Klingons getting wiped out by V-ger was pretty scary for 9 year old me)

Your 5 year old son sat through Star Trek The Motion Picture without fidgeting? Amazing!

(the Klingons getting wiped out by V-ger was pretty scary for 9 year old me)

Tbh he's in a bit of a sweet spot where it was visually engaging enough but he couldn't quite understand what was going on. So, he stuck around (mainly for the spaceships) but nothing was particularly scary.

Speaking of not fully understanding, now he wants to try playing Federation Commander with me (a somewhat simpler version of the Star Fleet Battles boardgame)...

Again… 5 year old me wouldn’t know where to begin with Federation Commander!?

oh yes, another scene from Star Trek TMP that haunts me to this day. The transporter malfunction! What a way to go. No wonder McCoy hated them…

advertisement

Back