advertisement

Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee Thread

Jeez…. Brenda with Paddington bear. Previously it was with fictional character James Bond. Whatever next, an appearance in a popular soap opera?? (Chuck beat her to it) . Maybe a chat show?

Can’t educated people see through this? apparently not.
Seemingly not. Indeed.

Managed to easily avoid all the coverage while enjoying a long weekend. Weather pretty poor yesterday & today though.

Never really understand why people who don’t like this kind of thing still end up watching it.

Given the fact that the Royal family generate substantially more in income for the UK than they cost, I'd say wanting to get rid of them is financially moronic. I am endlessly entertained by people that decry Brexit but then think they are clever by stating the Royal family are German, so is it good to be entwined with Europe or not? Or only when it suits your opinion? The Queen symbolises this country, ask nurses, soldiers and charity workers that have met her if they felt rewarded by her gratitude and admiration. What would you rather the battle cry of our brave army be, for chav and chip shop?
They are privileged, but I'll happily link to information about what the life of a Royal means in regards to commitment to the betterment of the country if you can't be bothered to look yourself.

Last point, who here can honestly say they would not do whatever they could to protect their son if he "allegedly" slept with a 17 year old? She stripped him of his royal duties and titles which means he is no longer entitled to public funds, she effectively removed him from the very institution you want rid of, suggesting that she very much acknowledges that their position is a privilege which demands they act accordingly.

They could do a reprise of "It's a Royal Knockout", I am sure some of the Royals may know someone to take Stuart Hall's place.

Hard act to follow, Jimmy S is dead and Rolf H possibly still banged up (both best mates with Charlie by all accounts...)

Hopefully all this nostalgic bilge is finally finished .... until Liz pops it and we get weeks of such tripe clogging up the airways.

Given the fact that the Royal family generate substantially more in income for the UK than they cost...
Can you quote some reliable source for that assertion?

As I have suggested in previous Royal Family threads we could retain a Royal Family but on the basis that the Senior Royals are paid as civil servants who have job descriptions and targets to achieve. Their various estates, and the income therefrom, would accrue directly to the Exchequer and the Sovereign Grant would disappear.

It really is the end of an era.

It already feels like that in many other ways too, Nic; possibly also to a certain extent, globally too. I can't get my head around the Queen sending herself a telegram in under four years' time should she go the course. However, my big sis. may well get there in two.

I have a feeling that she might just hand over to Charles any time soon, having reached this unprecedented milestone.

How exactly is this calculated?

And when it’s calculated, give it as a percentage of uk income . Oh, and don’t forget all the security and planning costs that aren’t factored in.

How can we know what is generated solely by the royal family, and what the loss would be if they didn’t exist ? Our history would still be there, as would the myriad of other reasons people come to this country. in any case, how does she generate income ? Is it tourism, hat sales, whisky exports, postcards, arms? What exactly ?

Regardless of what they may generate, does anyone measure, or even know, what effort they put in? I mean, what does Charles actually do ?? What does the queen actually do? With a total staff of 1200, I have to wonder who actually does the ‘work’? Or is it the case that the mere appearance and myth of the figurehead, with the history and the branding and the indoctrination, supports the notion that the family is a good thing . A quick online search says that in 2018 or thereabouts she had 341 engagements . Define ‘engagement’? Hop in a helicopter , snip the tape, wave and leave?

Entertain a few foreign bigwigs? She doesn’t have to get the shopping in, cook the meal and lay the table…. How do we define ‘work’?

Can you quote some reliable source for that assertion?

As I have suggested in previous Royal Family threads we could retain a Royal Family but on the basis that the Senior Royals are paid as civil servants who have job descriptions and targets to achieve. Their various estates, and the income therefrom, would accrue directly to the Exchequer and the Sovereign Grant would disappear.
There are no reliable sources. It is a secret how much the Royal Family costs in total, so impossible to assert how much they cost.

I have respect for the Queen.
Don't care for the rest.
Kate is rather nice though.
Other than that I wouldn’t care if they were here or not. Of no interest to me at all.

The Royal Grant this year is £86M plus £20M each from the duchies of Cormwall and Lancaster.
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/royal-finances

Estimates of the value that the UK Royals generate for the UK is around £1.8Bn (2017):
https://brandfinance.com/wp-content/uploads/1/brand_finance_monarchy_press_release.pdf

(AFAICT Brand Finance are a legit, independent consultancy).
And what is the difference between current royal family and current royal assets with no royal family in income generation terms? Versailles still makes a bob or two with nobody to live in it.

advertisement

Back