advertisement

Arcam FMJ D33 DAC, need opinion

Ozi2

Veteran Member
Hi folks,

found it for a good price, but cannot dem. I'd like to hear your opinion especially if this DAC is on the bright side if I say that for example units like Rega Elex and Elicit are perfect example of bright sounded gear for my ears.

I found on the net people are talking about that D33 is laid back and organic, which is fine for me, but still that cannot guarantee that it is not hot on the top.

Is this the case with D33 if you take into account what my ears hear from Rega?

I would be thankful for comments from you who heard.

Bright no. Good price = no risk. Buy it.

I have one in my system. It has displaced a super-modded Jolida MK2 valve DAC.

These are highly regarded and rightly so. An easy buy. Also an easy sell if it doesn't tickle your fancy (although I'd struggle to see how you wouldnt appreciate it).

Quality kit.

Curiosity - good price - how much?

Good question. I have a vague recollection that these were originally around 2k, then Arcam effectively dumped stock at about £700, which seemed an unusual move at the time.

Absolutely one of the best dacs ever, a total bargain at anything under a grand.
That's why I was asking. A fair price is £700 used.

If you've got it less, then that's a good price. I got mine for frankly a steal. The cheapest I've ever seen one in years. However, now I own it and knowing what know I'd pay the fair price £700 all day long. It is the dogs danglies Sir. Easy worth this cash.

I have no quibble with (or interest in) Arcam. I do have a mate though who bought one of these, admittedly at a trade discount, but who was not surprisingly a bit miffed when Superfi or whover started flogging them for about half what he'd paid a couple of months earlier.

So if someone bought one of the dumped stock ones in a sealed box for £700, what's the second-hand value of that?

By all accounts it's a decent DAC, but caveat emptor in the context of when/if you come to move it on.

I have one in my system. It has displaced a super-modded Jolida MK2 valve DAC.

Bollocks - no idea why I've quoted myself wierdly my comment is below.

Just to quantify this statement - my Jolida sold for £550 (and tbh had this spent on it on uogrades and is a very highly regarded, if massively underappreciated DAC - the current Black Ice version of this would cost you £1000+ to import plus ~£600 of mods). So that gives you an idea. The D33 is no slouch at all....

Love my D33, it’s especially good on hires Qobuz. Irrespective of the £2k/£700 manoeuvre they now sell for £600-700 roughly. You get the odd £500ish on eBay depending which way the wind blows. A fine and addictive DAC that really does let the music flow through.

Irrespective of the £2k/£700 manoeuvre they now sell for £600-700 roughly.

That would probably be a decent deal for the performance on offer. My mate still has his one actually, he's not really found anything he prefers by a clear enough margin to consider changing.

Sounds good. Thanks everyone.:)
Offer is 750€.

I have really hard time in order to find anything from current production which suit my ears. Most gear sounds like confection if that is the right word. There is tight bass, resolution, highest highs, power and dynamic, but musicality is somehow missing.

I remember my Arcam Alpha 8 cdp I had in ninetees with Nait2. Humble presentation that cdp had comparing to recent gear, but boy how musical it was.

I had many kilobuck gear during years, but never been so attached to anything like I was to my Arcam/Naim little system. I even prefer Alpha 8 to Naim CD5 I later had in timbre and musicality.
Sold my expensive gear I bought years later and now after several years I am going from scratch. Next week I am going to get FMJ A19 amp which will be partnered with Arcam DAC we are talking about.

Cannot remember When I was more excited about hi fi. During years you somehow learn to appreciate things in gear which are not immediately recognized or you simply need some more years to learn.

My only worry now is if this DAC follow the mainstream sound philosophy route being treble dominant, but looking at your comments, seems there is no worry.

Sounds good. Thanks everyone.:)
Offer is 750€.

I have really hard time in order to find anything from current production which suit my ears. Most gear sounds like confection if that is the right word. There is tight bass, resolution, highest highs, power and dynamic, but musicality is somehow missing.

I remember my Arcam Alpha 8 cdp I had in ninetees with Nait2. Humble presentation that cdp had comparing to recent gear, but boy how musical it was.

I had many kilobuck gear during years, but never been so attached to anything like I was to my Arcam/Naim little system. I even prefer Alpha 8 to Naim CD5 I later had in timbre and musicality.
Sold my expensive gear I bought years later and now after several years I am going from scratch. Next week I am going to get FMJ A19 amp which will be partnered with Arcam DAC we are talking about.

Cannot remember When I was more excited about hi fi. During years you somehow learn to appreciate things in gear which are not immediately recognized or you simply need some more years to learn.

My only worry now is if this DAC follow the mainstream sound philosophy route being treble dominant, but looking at your comments, seems there is no worry.
There’s an arcam alpha 8 cdp in the classifieds for peanuts!
What speakers will you be using?

I think of this as finding your "sound", I had it back in the 90s with my system, spent the early 2000s chasing a moving target it seemed and recently I'm settled again, enjoy the DAC when it arrives.

Just to say the reason I ask about the speakers is that I own an arcam A19 & it does need certain speakers to sound at its best.
It’s quite warm through the midrange and a little reticent through the vocal area.
It tends to prefer more forward speakers through the midrange.
You also need a speaker that has speed as it’s a bit slower than most on high tempo music.
It seems to focus on other areas.
For instance if you have a track which is driven by a drum beat which should be the main focus of the song it can lose its way making the whole track a musical soup rather than punchy & hard hitting.
If I play by the way by red hot chilli peppers the drum beat which should drive the track is too far back in the mix.
If I use the A19 pre outs into my Roksan power amp the portrayal is far more speedy & acurate.
It’s as if the arcam can’t deal with fast differing bass lines and it all becomes a bit one toned.
Expansive sounding amps can have this trait.
Probably why Niamies invented the term Prat.
It doesn’t really have that in its repertoire.
Just thought it was worth mentioning if your thinking of buying one.
I tend to use it as a pre amp now which is excellent btw.
Anyway best of luck.

I recall buying a complete system from Wimbledon about 4 years ago comprising Arcam Alpha Plus CD player - Nait 2 amp - Arcam Tuner - Linn Index speakers with the matching stands - the rack and wires that kept it all together - I really haven't listened to it properly.

You have inspired me to try and see if musicality emanates from this vintage gear or not.

Talking about vintage - I've just had my Arcam Black Box 1 TDA1541 DAC updated / serviced by Mike on this forum from Pickwell Audio - I'm expecting it back soon.

The BB1 is all about musicality - I just wanted 'more' - hence the services of Mike P!

Interesting about the D33 - Hi-Fi Critic didn't like it - but ignore them!

Really apprecitated. Thanks chaps.

Regarding A19, very useful info Curtis. I'll keep that on my mind, thanks.
It's a shame I am still not sure about the speakers, but will follow your advice. I believe I will buy some oldish Mission, Celestion or something like that. Well, some model from made in UK era, to be short. Amp, dac and pair of speakers like that would left me with zero pennies for this purpose, but if I would feel that I clicked with the gear, some better speakers will be in plan, for sure.

Talking about A19, it is maybe a little bit stupid and naive to say, but through the years I think I learned how to read reviews and people opinions, so I A19 jumped out of other Arcam amps. The amp is under 500€, so I would be really surprised if this could be some kind of fail.

Being in Naim camp, I spoiled myself to PRAT, but you know, years are passing and you get older. When you are young, you are looking for cerebral experience and when you are older you are looking for visceral experience.:) I believe that the way how A19 handle dynamic will be ok for me.

As for D33. Will go for it. Really hope it wouldn't be bright for my ears. I intentionally mentioned Rega amps just for you to understand what I found bright...for my ears. Fantastic amps. Incredibly engaging, but way, I mean way to much treble energy, but many many here like them and don't find bright, but that is a little bit strange for me how they didn't, as these brightness are not just finesses.

JA commented in Stereophile recommended systems for D33 it's treble is too hot. Hopefully he had not broken in unit, heh.

Talking about vintage - I've just had my Arcam Black Box 1 TDA1541 DAC updated / serviced by Mike on this forum from Pickwell Audio - I'm expecting it back soon.

The BB1 is all about musicality - I just wanted 'more' - hence the services of Mike P!

Interesting about the D33 - Hi-Fi Critic didn't like it - but ignore them!

Definitely. Any Black Box. Friend of mine had BB 50 and later BB 500 in the ninetees. I cannot say I was more jealous for anything in my life ever than I was for his BB in that time. Some 7-8 m square room. Delta 250, BB and Pro Ac tablette. One of 3-4 most engaging systems I ever heard.

I found Hi Fi Critic review. More or less just a comparison between D33 and Weiss DAC which cost more than 6000€.:)

Really apprecitated. Thanks chaps.

Regarding A19, very useful info Curtis. I'll keep that on my mind, thanks.
It's a shame I am still not sure about the speakers, but will follow your advice. I believe I will buy some oldish Mission, Celestion or something like that. Well, some model from made in UK era, to be short. Amp, dac and pair of speakers like that would left me with zero pennies for this purpose, but if I would feel that I clicked with the gear, some better speakers will be in plan, for sure.

Talking about A19, it is maybe a little bit stupid and naive to say, but through the years I think I learned how to read reviews and people opinions, so I A19 jumped out of other Arcam amps. The amp is under 500€, so I would be really surprised if this could be some kind of fail.

Being in Naim camp, I spoiled myself to PRAT, but you know, years are passing and you get older. When you are young, you are looking for cerebral experience and when you are older you are looking for visceral experience.:) I believe that the way how A19 handle dynamic will be ok for me.

As for D33. Will go for it. Really hope it wouldn't be bright for my ears. I intentionally mentioned Rega amps just for you to understand what I found bright...for my ears. Fantastic amps. Incredibly engaging, but way, I mean way to much treble energy, but many many here like them and don't find bright, but that is a little bit strange for me how they didn't, as these brightness are not just finesses.

JA commented in Stereophile recommended systems for D33 it's treble is too hot. Hopefully he had not broken in unit, heh.
Like I say it’s a good amp if you like expansive & scale.
Falls down in tempo & focus.
Depends what you listen to.

A19 and D33 will arriwe next weekend. That would left me to chose only typical budget s/h speakers for the next few months.
I found B&W 601 S3 and W. Diamond 9.1. What do you think of these with A19?

advertisement

Back