advertisement

Cricket 2022 - for all things cricket this year on PFM

A fitting end to the Platty Joobs celebrations the Queen should officially announce that Joe Root has replaced Charles as next in line for the throne. Just an fantastic day of cricket.

Stokes starts his innings like he was in the last over in a T20 game charging every ball , NZ bowlers are not pie chuckers so he was promptly out OR NOT luckily it was a no ball .He then batted well till he was out trying to uppercut a bouncer T 20 style again ! a totally unnecessary shot .He needs to reset his brain to test cricket . Root batted well and if he keeps going we still have a chance

Pope needs to shadow Root, and learn from him. Root is unflappable when batting. He’s the best I’ve seen, and I’ve seen plenty in my 50 or so years watching England. We need to enjoy and appreciate him.
He also ensured that the spectators received a full refund;)

It's great to see the black clouds lifting from Joe Root. The management should have recognised this a long time ago, as I think most of us here probably did...

“It had become a very unhealthy relationship, the captaincy and me,” he said. “It started to take a really bad toll on my personal health. I couldn’t leave it at the ground any more, it was coming home. It wasn’t fair on my family, on people close to me, and it wasn’t fair on myself either. I had thrown everything at it and I was determined to help turn this team around but it got to the stage where it was time for someone else to lead..."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-scoring-runs-after-unhealthy-time-as-captain

Great batting by Root ,really showed the others how to do it , credit to Foakes , excellent job not crumbling under pressure , held an end but still kept the score ticking over . It is really nice to report we played well enough to win a test !

England have not fared well at Trent Bridge recently. I was there when we got absolutely stuffed by SA four years ago. My abiding memory is of Ashim Amla''s batting so effortlessly and with so much time to play the ball - a class act.

Remember the Australia Test there in 2015 - Australia out for 60 before lunch on the first day, England won by an innings and 78 runs.

Broad did quite well - 8 for 15 and 1 for 36

Stokes got it wrong then with the decision to bowl first - too aggressive I think, and not backed up in the field. Broad said bat at TB, 100%, which Sky broadcast at lunchtime (a bit unkindly I thought)

advertisement

Back