advertisement

Guilty pleasures

Back in '70ish,being a 15yr old "Rocker" and liking Tull,Free,Family etc,didn't dare admit to liking chart stuff like this - but this and the likes of You don't have to be in the Army,Lady Rose etc got the foot tapping

During the late 60's, early 70's when we were into King Crimson, VDGG, funny fags etc I used to hide my Frank Sinatra & Marvin Gaye albums!

I’ve struggled to find something until today! Lee Hazelwood, A Town called Trouble. I probably bought it because it was cheap and had an attractive cover. But what a find if you like phoney good ol’ boy wisdom. It also sounds Audiophile-ish but was probably recorded in a cave. Being as it’s from America, I find it difficult to work out whether it is tongue in cheek or not. (On Spotty but with a crap cover)

Tusk is actually a fantastic album.

Your turn. Be honest.

In 1978, as a skint student, I went into Our Price in Brent Cross. I wanted to get both Tusk and Metal Box but didn't have the cash for both. I wasn't a big Fleetwood Mac fan post Peter Green and hated Rumours, but bought Tusk because I really liked the title track. When I went back the next week for Metal Box it had sold out and been replaced by Second Edition. Same music but not quite the same object. Unforgivable really.

My guilty pleasure:

Norah Jones' debut.

I probably play this more frequently than I play A Love Supreme.

That very fact makes me feel very guilty indeed.

Last edited:
Some of these guilty pleasures are stone cold classics in my book. I bought my mother Shania Twain's Come On Over, she didn't like it, I did.

Always buying charity shop cheap CDs mainly classical but Chris Rea's Road to Hell album was there and as I liked the title track thought why not for 50 p.
Playing it that evening I was astonished what a great album it was and listened to it all.
Didn't know much about him as I always had that preconcieved idea that he was Adult orientated rock and a bit lame.
Have to say I loved it.He's a competant guitarist not a showman but the lyric and songs and music was great.Superbly recorded...every song about misery in life !
I read up on him on Wiki and loved the fact that he has always refused to tour America which I thought was pretty cool.

Updating from my previous post, another guilty pleasure of mine isn't some mega famous pop band but nevertheless are very poppy in their rock sound: Teenage Wrist. Damn it they're just so catchy.

Do Bread count as a guilty pleasure?

I can’t stand The Doobie Brothers or The Carpenters, but there’s something about the sheer craft of Bread that wins me over every time. My go-to for MoR jollies.

Drowning in Berlin ..... The Mobiles.

Under Your Thumb ..... Godley and Creme.

Girl's School ..... Wings (B Side to Live and Let Die) edit (Double A side with Mull of Kintyre) now that is embarrassing!!!

advertisement

Back