advertisement

Best sub £200 ish. Cartridge

mikegreenwood

pfm Member
Hi, Trying to narrow the selection down, like most on here I’ve used a few different ones over the years but I’m a little out of touch now. I can accommodate both mm and mc but the latter is most likely over budget. ( SRM turntable, Michell Technoarm, Naim Amp, Epos speakers. Phono stage Rothwell Rialto. Quite fond of the AT. Range of cartridges but open minded.

Seconded, very happy with the one I bought a while ago, now running it with a RigB body, you can buy a complete RigB ML for £180. The RigB body is about £60 on its own.

Seems like a pretty good deal.

I bought a VM530EN recently, which is similar money to the better VM95 carts. It does not have a good a stylus but it's a better generator body and has more stylus options. To be honest, I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them.

Stanton 500 is under £50. If bass is your thing, and music tastes are more on the pop, rock and electronica side. :)

The definitive DJ cartridge, sometimes I think about putting one on my SL1210 and selling the Reca.

I concur with Mr Scarlett above, though I was rather shocked to see DL110s retail for over £200 now - my first one cost me £70.

My most recent one was in an RB202 on a 301, and it sounded fabulous. Wish I still had it.

Fair comment about the Stanton 500 I once had one on my 1210 in 1994 and it was an exciting listen although the AT95 was a better replacement.
1210 @ Stanton a true legend combination for House 12 " ;)
Back to the thread AT 95 ML takes some beating and currently on my 1210
Stanton 500 is under £50. If bass is your thing, and music tastes are more on the pop, rock and electronica side. :)

The definitive DJ cartridge, sometimes I think about putting one on my SL1210 and selling the Reca.

Has anyone here fitted the RigB 95 themselves, and how easy/difficult was it?

Yes, but how do I get the old body off, and where does the screw they mention go?

Yes, but how do I get the old body off, and where does the screw they mention go?
How old is your ‘95? I was going to get on the RigB train right at the beginning but my AT120 needed to be fitted to the rigb shell professionally and would be non-reversible. I was happy with this but never found the time to remove my cartridge to send off and have the work done.

Remove AT sticker - you can see the screw - it's a swine to get loose cos of the glue hanging around, so I paid an extra £10 for the RigB and AT Generator body ready assembled.

I had one of the RigB bodies in my hands today when I popped in to see Johnnie at Audio Origami. The RigB feels much heavier than the plastic AT body for sure!

advertisement

Back