advertisement

Moving on

RoA

pfm Member
So, my Stirling BBC LS3/6 Ltd Edt have a new, happy owner.

It was a difficult decision to sell them. Wonderful speakers in many/most aspects.

My music tastes are very varied, from classic, death metal, jazz to rock. It was only when things get really fast and gritty that the Stirling's were a little reticent and a modicum/tad 'slow' (soft?). Many probably wouldn't mind but it took the edge off for me. Everywhere else they excelled and in most ways were the best I've owned.

It gave me a good taste of the thin wall/wide baffle sound though and it's something I will probably pursue again in the near future. It also put to bed my desire to own a LS3/5. I want the dynamics and scale of a slightly larger speaker even though my listening levels are usually more on the modest size.

I can't afford the larger Harbeths or Graham Audio speakers but may consider something like a Graham Audio LS6 or smaller (but not tiny) Harbeth.

Any thoughts? Thanks

images

Yamaha NS1000M, maybe with the xover mods or big, fat trouser flapping Tannoys if you can endure the bark
(I use 988s now)

Reactions: RoA
How about some Magneplan LRS their incredibly transparent and superb with instrument timbre and soundstage.Incredible fast transients.They have just been upgraded to LRS +
Del Monaco and Robert here love theirs.

Very tempting but I unfortunately don't have the space necessary behind the speakers.

Arcs. Early ones like mine are £1/1.5k and like 57’s they don’t have spikes and sound sublime wherever you put them. There are good reasons why peeps pay nearly 7k for this design currently despite them looking like a swing bin from a fifties kitchen ad.

If Shahinians look too odd Duevel omnis might appeal... my bubinga Venuses are works of art, and Planets are at the very least interesting.

I won't say that they are the perfect speaker for anybody other than me... but in my room, and for my musical taste, Duevel Venus offer the least compromised sound picture I have heard. Planets come a surprisingly close second, given the large price differential. Room correction with DSP narrows the gap. Omnis rule - once you become accustomed to their presentation there is no alternative :)

So, my Stirling BBC LS3/6 Ltd Edt have a new, happy owner.

It was a difficult decision to sell them. Wonderful speakers in many/most aspects.

My music tastes are very varied, from classic, death metal, jazz to rock. It was only when things get really fast and gritty that the Stirling's were a little reticent and a modicum/tad 'slow' (soft?). Many probably wouldn't mind but it took the edge off for me. Everywhere else they excelled and in most ways were the best I've owned.

It gave me a good taste of the thin wall/wide baffle sound though and it's something I will probably pursue again in the near future. It also put to bed my desire to own a LS3/5. I want the dynamics and scale of a slightly larger speaker even though my listening levels are usually more on the modest size.

I can't afford the larger Harbeths or Graham Audio speakers but may consider something like a Graham Audio LS6 or smaller (but not tiny) Harbeth.

Any thoughts? Thanks
A reconditioned pair of Kef 107.2s.

advertisement

Back