advertisement

Dave Smith - Sequential R.I.P

That is very sad news, he leaves a heck of a legacy. The Prophet 5 being a era-defining instrument. Sadly I never owned one, though I did have a Pro One monosynth for a good while which is effectively a single ProV voice. For those wanting to hear some classic Prophet 5 head for Japan’s Tin Drum album, though it is all over most synth-pop records of its era. RIP.

Although other polyphonic synths had been made, the P5 was the one that was slightly more affordable and, more importantly, easier to take on the road.

I always wanted one but they've always managed to keep in step with my disposable income by remining just out of affordable. There was the '600 (a budget P5 with MIDI) but it just wasn't the same.

I hope his legacy continues through DSI - some of the new synths they've produced in recent years are very good.

RIP

Just to prove it's not just Japan :)-)), Terry Riley's "Songs for the Ten Voices of the Two Prophets" is excellent.

And here's where you heard a P5 elsewhere.

Really sad news. I have three Sequential synths (5 rev 2, 5 rev 4 and an X) and met Dave at Frankfurt in around 2007. I was a starstruck fanboy. He was lovely.

He was responsible for the second most successful computer networking protocol (MIDI) of all time and changed the course of music production history.

Sequential have been on a roll in recent years, so this is sad news. Just before the Sequential/Oberheim OB8X is released too.

Here's one of my fave Prophet players. RIP Mr Smith.

Stephen

And (of course)

Not watched it yet (will do later), but this interview with Waveshaper has just gone up.

PS Currently listening to side 2 of Tin Drum.

advertisement

Back