advertisement

Advice for Battery powered PA system - Offgrid

Simon s

pfm Member
As the title suggests i am planning a smallish gathering to DJ for a friends party where we cannot use a generator or mains, so effectively this would be off-grid. I am looking to run a small PA system from lithium batteries with the possibility to top up the charge with solar panels during the day.

So i wondered if any of you have experience with small PA gear which have self contained batteries or could run from one 100ah lithium battery. The newer Lithium-Iron Phosphate batteries are getting so much better than lead acid batteries now in terms of the depth of discharge on a charge - this is over 90%. But also they can draw 100ah continuous at 12v for the duration of the charge ! Thats why i thought it may work for this situation?

Based on the above I can factor for rough power consumption of a home hifi rig, but have no idea on what a portable PA speaker; for example - Mackie thump 12a 1300w active speakers will draw ?

So the questions are:
1. What small portable PA would anyone recommend me to use for a small gathering , 30 people max. Sound Quality is important but will depend greatly on the cost. (I am aware i didn't give a budget but i need to get an idea of whats out there and possibly hire it if thats feasible ?)

2. Can these be powered from batteries such as a 100ah renogy Lithium battery using a 1000w pure sine wave inverter ? This is based on say 6 - 8 hr use.

3. Are there any half decent self contained PA systems which have batteries built in which would project loud enough and sound ok.

Obviously when i say quality is important, we are obviously not talking about 'quality' we would expect from a home hifi rig, but tech has come a long way from the underpowered sound systems in house parties and clubs i remember which ripped your ears off after a few minutes!

Thanks in anticipation for the expertise which no doubt many of you have in Pro audio as well as hifi.

advertisement

Back