advertisement

Streaming is inferior to redbook CD playback?

Data is data. All pc cd rom drives are red book compliant as part of their basic spec.
Reading CDDA in real time is a more complex story than a simple Red book tick box
There have been CD players capable of dealing with much greater track damage than other makes

Reading CDDA in real time is a more complex story than a simple Red book tick box
There have been CD players capable of dealing with much greater track damage than other makes

Can't say I'd buy a cd player on its ability to read discs that I've broken. I'd just be more careful.

Yes that is, a lot more simple than a Linn streamer.
Of course the data transmission over network is pretty solid, 10110 wil be alwayes 10110, but the timing of the transmission may not be the same as the source.
Cd players were built for music reproduction, when music did matter and sell, networks are not.

And you think that the network transmission has more timing problems than reading and demodulating the signal off of a CD that is a wobbly spinny plastic thing with an off centre hole, wobbling up and down being driven by a pulsed variable speed motor that is monitoring the rotation speed via a feedback loop from the average speed of the pips previously read going past the laser? And you think reading network packets is hard ;)

BTW, the timing problems from both are irrelevant because of buffering and reclocking logic, it's been in use since the 90s, they've got pretty good at it by now.

And you think that the network transmission has more timing problems than reading and demodulating the signal off of a CD that is a wobbly spinny plastic thing with an off centre hole, wobbling up and down being driven by a pulsed variable speed motor that is monitoring the rotation speed via a feedback loop from the average speed of the pips previously read going past the laser? And you think reading network packets is hard ;)

BTW, the timing problems from both are irrelevant because of buffering and reclocking logic, it's been in use since the 90s, they've got pretty good at it by now.

All the above sounds logical - but the truth is in the listening ... as you may know I have ordered a CD so I can check all this out for myself. I will play the CD against playing the rip of the CD through the same DAC.

The only anomaly in excluding this from being the perfect test is that the DAC for the streamer will be using its USB input - against the CD player where the SPDIF input into the same DAC will be used.

I do however have a Yamaha CD-N500 on which I guess I could use both local rip and CD from the same unit <-- I just thought of that as I typed this response ....

All the above sounds logical - but the truth is in the listening ... as you may know I have ordered a CD so I can check all this out for myself. I will play the CD against playing the rip of the CD through the same DAC.
Unless the listening is done with proper volume matching and controls in place - the results then analyzed statistically - you will not find truth in the listening.

The question that should be asked is..

Is the ultimate streaming quality acheived regardless of cost worse equall or better to the ultimate CD quality achieved regardless of cost.

All other other arguments are null and void due to cost considerations.
Then throw in personal opinion and your basically fu$®€¥.

Pointless.. buy and listen to what makes you happy and forget the....

The only anomaly in excluding this from being the perfect test is that the DAC for the streamer will be using its USB input - against the CD player where the SPDIF input into the same DAC will be used.

I do however have a Yamaha CD-N500 on which I guess I could use both local rip and CD from the same unit <-- I just thought of that as I typed this response ....

If you have a good cd player, try using the internal dac for some time. Don’t abx, just listen for some days.
The fact that there is one or two digital out, it doesn’t mean that whatever we connect it will sound better.
In most cases I prefer cd player out, to any external dac.
Cd players are as jitterless as possible, as I said they were designed by real engineers and scientists when music reproduction mattered somehow.
Who design streamers?

Surely you have better things to do with your time?

Cd players are as jitterless as possible

This is about the most hilariously wrong statement i've seen on this forum.

As for dissing engineers, i'll let that by on the basis that although it's a major infringement, it might have been added for comedy effect following this earlier statement.

Cd players are as jitterless as possible, as I said they were designed by real engineers and scientists when music reproduction mattered somehow.
Who design streamers?
Surely you can point out the differences in design when "music reproduction mattered somehow" and when (according to you) it did not? What are they?

It's an utterly pointless argument. Unless you have a fundamentally broken device of either type they are essentially perfect. All you are listening to are your filter choice, the output stage design and the vagaries of mastering.

Can't say I'd buy a cd player on its ability to read discs that I've broken. I'd just be more careful.
Audio CDs are basically printed and contain errors out of the factory.
Many older ones also have corrosion of the aluminium layer, adding to the gaps.

advertisement

Back