advertisement

Integrated amp with PR*T

Neil P

pfm Member
I'd like an integrated amp that makes music fun. Speakers are spendor A6. Source is Rega Saturn R. I'm sure a naim would do me well (as they're famed for their PR*T) but I'd like to consider other options.

Budget £1k
Music: rock, electronics, occasionally folk/classical

Please no silly recessed speaker connectors, nor certain length/type cables.

Rega amps have good prat IME, budget is not for Aethos but maybe the outgoing Elicit/R on sale or s/h.

I'd like an integrated amp that makes music fun. Speakers are spendor A6. Source is Rega Saturn R. I'm sure a naim would do me well (as they're famed for their PR*T) but I'd like to consider other options.

Budget £1k

Rega Elex R is a perfect fit based on your requirements- musical and fun

It is all about amp/speaker matching IMO. I assume a combination of voltage vs. current drive, damping factor etc. FWIW many of the best systems I’ve ever heard from a rhythmic perspective have been valves driving high-efficiency speakers. The point I’m making is that it isn’t ‘the amp’, it is finding exactly the right amp/speaker match for your scenario and taste.

arcam a85 , arcam a32 . arcam a39 . all very good indeed . bel canto c5i . all will be good with the spendor

I heard these with a Nait 1 and it was awesome.
They are 88 dB efficient so no worries about how loud they can go unless you have a large listening room.

I heard these with a Nait 1 and it was awesome.
They are 88 dB efficient so no worries about how loud they can go unless you have a large listening room.
Doesn't quite match up with the op's request for "no silly recessed speaker connectors, nor certain length/type cables", though. I must like silly things, as I have 3x NAITs here, versions 1, 2, and 3. :D Then again, I've 3x vintage Rega integrateds too; all clamshell, none with the early recessed sockets only, sadly.

With Saturn R and circa £1k burning a hole, I'd be having a discounted Elicit-R, a quick Google shows £1,395. at one UK dealer, a savings of £284. off the £1,679. MSRP.

It is all about amp/speaker matching IMO. I assume a combination of voltage vs. current drive, damping factor etc. FWIW many of the best systems I’ve ever heard from a rhythmic perspective have been valves driving high-efficiency speakers. The point I’m making is that it isn’t ‘the amp’, it is finding exactly the right amp/speaker match for your scenario and taste.

I would surely agree with this. With Harbeth speakers, the Naim provided all the PRaT which made the Harbeth sound alive. Most amps failed miserably in comparison when matched with the Harbeth(I tried about 7), sounding slow and dull.

I lived with the Naim/Harbeth combination for many years, about 9 to be exact before I got bored and bought another speaker, the Marten Duke 2. I later found that the Naim doesn't quite match the Marten and brought a Luxman in specifically for the Marten. The Luxman/Marten has a lot of PRaT!!

I later tried the Luxman with the Harbeth and the PRaT was gone with the wind! Go figure.

So the lesson gained is as you have aptly put it so I won't repeat that. Nevertheless, I suspect the OP might have known about this as he mentioned his speakers (Spendor A6) before asking for recommendations on a "PRaTTy" amp. The question could be rephrased as "Integrated Amp with PRaT for Spendor A6".

Budget £1k

What's your current amplifier & what are the problems with the musical reproduction/presentation?

What's your current amplifier & what are the problems with the musical reproduction/presentation?

A long story ...

• 2006 - Saturn>Nac82>nap150X feeding Rega speakers. Loved it!
  • 2009 - Moved house
  • 2010 - still loving the system!
  • 2011 - annus horribilis (head injury/concussion & sudden death of my music mentor)
  • 2015 - Sold Rega speakers to fund Quave LS1 which I had always wanted to try (lovely open sound, but very sensitive which i struggled to find amps to match)
  • 2016 - Moved house
  • ??? - upgraded to Saturn R at some point!
  • 2017 - Sold 82/150 and tried tissbury passive pre>NAP200 but speakers still not happy
  • 2021 - Moved house
  • 2021 - Tried townsend allegri plus passive pre>NAP200, speakers still not happy
  • 2021 - Decided I wanted to get out of the Naim game (don't like being restricted to 3.5m speaker cables!), sold NAP200
  • 2021 - Sold Quave LS1, bought Spendors

So I now have a Saturn R and the Spendors ... would like something like the Naim sound but without the speaker cable restrictions. Last fond memories of system were pre 2011 - it's hard to know whether gear changes reduced my satisfaction, house moves, or the events of 2011.

If you're able to stretch your budget a tiny bit more, do consider the EWA Claymore. Wonderful, smooth presentation that nevertheless has all the "slam" and speed you might want.

I auditioned it almost exclusively with rock, electronic and ambient. The only reason I didn't buy it is that I went for one of their power amps instead.

advertisement

Back