advertisement

Today I am a small blue thing..

I’ve tried the latest blue belts on Lingo 4 and Radikal and both adjust the speed perfectly.

I had problems with a Naim Armageddon/ standard modern motor and so cannot get the speed slow enough (set via a strobe and disc). Not enough adjustment in the motor tilt mechanism unfortunately. I think the belt is too short. Haven’t yet tried it on other configurations like a Valhalla but I will when I get time.

Same set up but opposite issue for me- I can't get it fast enough, maybe we should swap belts!

I’ve tried the latest blue belts on Lingo 4 and Radikal and both adjust the speed perfectly.

I had problems with a Naim Armageddon/ standard modern motor and so cannot get the speed slow enough (set via a strobe and disc). Not enough adjustment in the motor tilt mechanism unfortunately. I think the belt is too short. Haven’t yet tried it on other configurations like a Valhalla but I will when I get time.

Sorry if this sounds a bit patronising but are you absolutely sure it is running fast and not slow?

I'm using Lingo 4 and blue belt no problem! Just plug & play.

Got my blue belt yesterday and had a good listening session last night.
Lingo 4 user as well.Initially had the belt running to high but after adjusting it, so it was running right and the L4 light was dimming.
I did notice on the inner platter the belt sits right at the bottom.Where the old belt was a little bit higher.
Early impressions are very impressive theirs a real relaxed rightness.Drum kit and cymbals seem easier to follow in the mix.
Going to leave it running when at work
Maybe it needs some running in time ?

Thanks Mike a great product and for your fast turn around speed sending it to me.

Got my blue belt yesterday and had a good listening session last night.
Lingo 4 user as well.Initially had the belt running to high but after adjusting it, so it was running right and the L4 light was dimming.
I did notice on the inner platter the belt sits right at the bottom.Where the old belt was a little bit higher.
Early impressions are very impressive theirs a real relaxed rightness.Drum kit and cymbals seem easier to follow in the mix.
Going to leave it running when at work
Maybe it needs some running in time ?

Thanks Mike a great product and for your fast turn around speed sending it to me.

As per comments in other threads - my LP12 has completely changed - blue belt being one of those changes - but I'm simply astonished at how good vinyl can sound!

Im thinking of wrapping one of these around my cd player seeing as i dont have a record player am getting hyped up.

No idea what the blue belt is made of but can´t help myself from chuckling that so many upgrades over the years, both from Linn and others, with supposedly advanced mechanical engineering and electronic solutions to a very basic problem that would seem to point to the filtering/isolation role of the belt from motor vibration affecting the tip/groove interface more than anything else. And people worrying about exact speed precision.
I´d love to read an independent opinion on more basic versions of LP12 with blue belt and top spec Akurate decks. Has the gap been narrowed only by 0.001% ( 25 quid against 25 grand) or is it a bit more ?

The difference a radikal makes is independent of what belt is fitted, a blue belt doesn’t make motor psu improvements redundant.

Sorry if this sounds a bit patronising but are you absolutely sure it is running fast and not slow?
Indeed, when my LP12/Lingo with Linn belt was running at 33.33 RPM and I replaced it with the blue belt, the belt was riding low on the pulley, slightly rubbing against the lower part of the belt guide and running at 32 RPM.

The difference a radikal makes is independent of what belt is fitted, a blue belt doesn’t make motor psu improvements redundant.

So, doesn’t that imply that the Radikal addresses some questions but not the fact that this blue belt is still filtering something that the cartridge doesn’t like.

Last edited:
Indeed, when my LP12/Lingo with Linn belt was running at 33.33 RPM and I replaced it with the blue belt, the belt was riding low on the pulley, slightly rubbing against the lower part of the belt guide and running at 32 RPM.

Blue belt is different material so will behave differently. That situation should lend itself to getting the blue belt running close to if not at 33.33 RPM with adjustment of motor tilt.
Did you try that?

Reactions: Pak
Blue belt is different material so will behave differently. That situation should lend itself to getting the blue belt running close to if not at 33.33 RPM with adjustment of motor tilt.
Did you try that?
Yes, I’m just saying that if you go from a Linn belt to the blue belt and you’re using an A/C motor. The blue belt would run slower and need adjustment. It would surprise me if the blue belt was running faster than the Linn.

Yes, I’m just saying that if you go from a Linn belt to the blue belt and you’re using an A/C motor. The blue belt would run slower and need adjustment. It would surprise me if the blue belt was running faster than the Linn.

Yes that's been the general feedback.

As a response to this we've now done a thicker version which runs a bit faster.

The original was 0.8mm thick and we've now moved to 1.0mm.

I've also got 1.2mm version if needed.

Well, it´s nice to have the only self adjusting Linn in the world. I never had to adjust mine in the slightest to accomodate the bluey, nor have I ever had to, on the odd occasion I changed my belt in the interim since buying the LP12 in 1981 or thereabouts, with a Nirvana, then a Lingo 1 and a Norton for the last 15 years. It has always positioned itself approx. 5mm from the lower edge of the sub platter and never moves , neither up nor down. The secret must be my imperfect pitch or the fact that when at Uni. I realised that the mech. engineers were a shower of frustrated p*** artists only superceded by the Chem. variety.

P.S. Just read MikeP talking about the thickness. Mine is a 1.0mm model so that must be it. Q.E.D.

Yes that's been the general feedback.

As a response to this we've now done a thicker version which runs a bit faster.

The original was 0.8mm thick and we've now moved to 1.0mm.

I've also got 1.2mm version if needed.
I pretty sure mine is 1mm. Would be nice if the 1.2mm matched the speed of the Linn.

I've now got a 1.0mm belt. Readjusted the motor so I can get the belt running a bit lower on the pulley - it was right up the pully and, occasionally rubbing on the upper guide. As below the speeds are now pretty d@mn close to the Linn belt, and the WOW is down to Linn levels.

Linn @33.3333: measured at 33.35 rpm, WOW ±0.05%
Blue 0.8mm: measured at 33.16 rpm, WOW ±0.10% - belt occasionally touching upper guide
Blue 1.0mm: measured at 33.29 rpm, WOW ±0.04%

Linn @45: measured at 45.04 rpm, WOW ±0.05%
Blue 0.8mm: measured at 44.79 rpm, WOW ±0.15% - belt occasionally touching upper guide
Blue 1.0mm: measured at 44.83 rpm, WOW ±0.06%

A positive outcome then for the thicker belt, and it continues to sound very fine.

I might have another tweak.....or I might just play some LPs.

advertisement

Back