advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season II

I was thinking more about you, Bob, etc.

It's a football thread.

I sometimes get things coming on my social media pages, from Liverpool fans, saying things like 'they dream of being us'. Actually, I don't know one football fan who dreams of supporting another, and I don't hear other clubs claiming the same kind of thing.

Last edited:
Net spend is a poor measure IMV, Liverpool did very well to get what they did for Courtino.

Liverpool have always been big spenders as have many other clubs, I do think there recruitment team is very effective though. City probably have to overpay at times but most of their transfers appear to have worked out. Grealish looks over priced though.

I think (with blue specs on) that Grealish will go on to do really well. City haven't really made any poor buys for quite a while. Regarding the overpaying, we bought Bernardo, Gundogan and Torres for less than the price of Pogba, sold Torres for £49m and bought the current South American player of the year (Julian Alvarez) for 15m, who arrives in June. Haaland at £51m seems a bit of a bargain too, though the media wants to report it in a completely different way than any of the buys of some other clubs. We have spent a great deal but have achieved, not only in on-the-pitch terms but also in the formation of the football group and the consequential revenues achieved from investors and partners.

As for Liverpool, some of their recruitment has been first class and I think they have nailed it in the sense of buying the right player for their pattern of play, often paying far less than the performance of the player would suggest someone's worth. Some of the 'best ever' declarations I find premature, but they are clickbait and nothing more. If the fans believe it then that's up to them.

Manchester United have got things completely wrong and it could be a fair way back. They have overpaid for players who have not delivered, slotting square pegs into round holes because of a sporting strategy that lacks cohesion. The debt has taken away from needed investment in the ground and training facilities too.

Manchester United

Most Read news on the BBC website just now...

_124893487_7e3aa214-af20-4ac6-9093-251bb4f21374.jpg

BBC apologises after ‘Manchester United are rubbish’ appears on screen

True for those two years but I have rarely felt such nerves in a title run-in because of the relentlessness of Liverpool's form. Pep was right, Liverpool will just keep on winning so we cannot lose points.

I wonder how much of that is down

Must be a slow news day, because Manchester United are crap at the moment, and as Oldius said, why apologise?

When Jürgen Klopp got an offer to be Liverpool manager he then told FSG who he wanted to bring in as a coaching staff & it was more than they’d budgeted for. He took a pay cut.

When he signed an extension, he did not get more money, no increase in pay. The coaching staff did.

Congratulations to Manchester City on yet another Premier League title. Liverpool pushed City all the way again and they can feel disappointed that in most other years, their performances and results would have been good enough to be champions. That's now twice they have very narrowly missed out to City. Its still been a good season for Liverpool with the League and FA Cups in the bag. It could still be a great season, if they beat Real Madrid on Saturday.

For my own team, Newcastle, it was all about Premier League survival and laying some foundations under our new owners. We have done very well considering our starting position under Howe. I'm more than happy. There is a great feeling in and around the City now that Mike Ashley has gone.

I predicted we would get to 41 points under Howe and we actually finished with 49 points in 11th and top of the bottom half of the table. A top half league finish next season (top 8 would be nice) and a cup run would be very good to me.

Serious Q re Gabriel Jesus - has he decided to leave through Haaland’s arrival and game time or is he being forced out - surely a fantastic striker for whoever picks him up - outstanding finisher?

Not just Haaland. City want Julian Alvarez (who looks quality) to have a full pre-season with them after signing him from River Plate in January, who’d hoped to keep him until the end of the Copa Libertadores in the autumn.

Serious Q re Gabriel Jesus - has he decided to leave through Haaland’s arrival and game time or is he being forced out - surely a fantastic striker for whoever picks him up - outstanding finisher?

He has probably, simply, run out of a bit of patience. He was in the shadow of Aguero, then the fall guy in the false 9 strategy (not really but I can imagine he felt that) and now Haaland is coming in. Whoever gets him will get a great player, a dedicated professional and a pressing animal. I, and Pep, do not want him to go.

Only 20 league starts in a season where City have had limited out-and-out strikers in the squad. 8 PL subs appearances and 8 goals. I can see why Pep wanted Kane and why he now he wants to add striking options/goals.

I think one problem for Jesus is that he is not different enough from the other players around him. Light and fast. Can play in multiple positions. Hard working. Prepared to fit in to the system.
Aguero would work, but he was an animal in the box.
I don't want him to go either, but he probably needs to.

Tried to get Wembley tickets for Forest on Sunday, but no luck. I'm not too bothered, but the boy wanted to go, as he has suddenly become football fan since getting FIFA on his pc. Tried to get 2, but as I have not bought any it would not allow 2, only 1 as the boy has been to a few games, so he had an allocation.

Looks like a NowTV sports day pass....much cheaper, and possibly a better view.

I think one problem for Jesus is that he is not different enough from the other players around him. Light and fast. Can play in multiple positions. Hard working. Prepared to fit in to the system.
Aguero would work, but he was an animal in the box.
I don't want him to go either, but he probably needs to.

Totally agree but unfortunately will always be compared to the unique Aguero who had many attributes including a low centre of gravity and the ability to produce snapshots with tremendous power from the shortest of backlift with either foot which made him a nightmare to defend against.

Congratulations to Jurgen Klopp on his manager of the year awards. Clearly, he has done a tremendous job and I think his award is well deserved. Here is some food for thought though: in the history of this award, it has only been won three times by managers who did not win the league. On each occasion that happened, Manchester City were the league winners.

Food for thought for who?

For those who don’t believe City fans when they say their playing staff don’t always get the credit they deserve from the media. David Silva and Aguero not featuring in awards and teams of the year, managers not being recognised in awards: Let’s face it Jurgen could get the award for two scratchy penalty cup wins if you don’t beat Real Madrid on Saturday.

Should Liverpool win in Paris then perhaps it’ll be perceived that he won the award for getting iwithin 5 minutes or so of the quadruple - it’s probably deserved this year if the winner is required to lift a pot?

advertisement

Back