advertisement

Sympathetic Radford MA25 Restoration

Radford Revival

Trade: Radford Revival
Hi all

One of many jobs lately, I have restored a very rare pair of MA25s. These had been stored unused for many years and had come from the labs of Bristol Polytechnic. These were acquired and restored on behalf of a customer

Cosmetically they had a few imperfections but otherwise they were in quite good condition - but they needed a bit of work

Here's how they started:
DSC_1780.NEF_.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures "during" so if you're impatient you're in luck! This is how they ended up. Most of the wiring has been renewed, especially from the sockets to the boards. I've also completely replaced all the output transformer secondary wires from the impedance switches, another classic problem area. I've also fitted a new mains lead, new power switches (originals had become stiff and one had broken), and just generally tidied the things up. The new owner wants to address the external cosmetic issues himself.

DSC_2046.NEF_.jpg

DSC_2045.NEF_.jpg

DSC_2039.NEF_.jpg

DSC_2040.NEF_.jpg

DSC_2041.NEF_.jpg

Complete with green goo?
:D Yup, this one had it bad, including bonus broken wires. Every time I work on an original that isn't a rebuild job I kick myself for not just stripping it down and starting again. I hadn't started out with the intention of pretty much re-wiring these, they just ended up needing it, the movement on the PCB from changing the cap quickly makes it apparent how fragile the original wires can be.

advertisement

Back