advertisement

Classic Thorens TD 135 mk i

You still flunked. But scored high on the humour scale, scoring an A+ on the Monty Python Jabberwocky scale.

This is as I received it with a Bokrand Ortofon tonearm:
nEUwq0Ol.jpg

Rosewind, I think that combo looks really smart. What are your thoughts on the build and acoustic qualities of the Acoustand plinth? (I ask as I was considering one for my second TT, a Garrard 401/SME 3009 - sorry to derail the thread).

The build quality and looks are outstanding. I love the read top plate. The plinth is big and very "dead" when knocked on. I like it a lot.

On the Acoustand website there are many different designs.

The build quality and looks are outstanding. I love the read top plate. The plinth is big and very "dead" when knocked on. I like it a lot.
On the Acoustand website there are many different designs.

Thanks for that. I like the understated style - what Acoustand call the Classic and Classic II. I see they are reasonably priced too.

I am still waiting for the seller of the Thorens 135 to find a suitable shipping box.

In the meantime, I am exploring other nice idler wheel turntables from the 60s, not all have the same top plate quality of the TD 135 or TD 124. I like the Telefunken Studio 220 = rebranded Thorens TD 184 and the Telefunken Hifi 210-X for example, or the similar Perpetuum-Ebner PE34. But for me the Thorens TD 224 takes the price.

Thorens 184:

Telefunken 210x (the late x-version looks better than the Telefunken 210):

If I could get hold of a Thorens TD224, I would. I simply adore the record feeding system that it has. Very elegant:

Well. I just made an offer for a boxed NOS Perpetuum-Ebner PE34 in Germany. I believe it uses a Thorens motor unit. It is for building in, so (almost) perfect for my purposes as I have panzerholz waiting for me in the UK.

I've just decided not to go with this.

wn5vKBS.jpg

cRpwJOpl.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure that has nothing to do with Thorens, but an interesting old turntable nonetheless. Looks about equivalent to a Garrard SP25 or thereabouts.

Yes, the PE34 does look different, I must admit. I still hope the Thorens 135 will make it here.
The Perpetuum-Ebner PE33 is the one that looks like it could have been made by Thorens:
XTXZZDxl.jpg

I've decided not to buy the tempting NOS PE34.

Perpetuum Ebner was founded in 1911 by Joseph Steidinger
after he split with his brother Christian
from Dual which they owned together previously. (Dual I suppose hinting at both those brothers..)
In 1971 PE got into trouble and was taken over by Dual.

I've explored the topic to some depth as those and similar decks of the time are to be had
for relatively little here.
And I'd recommend a Dual if you like a performance that's quite good even by todays standards.
The PE make points with the vintage looks and a flair of exotic brand,
but the mechanical quality of the duals of the same time is even better.
And while that alone may not make groundbraking difference in sq,
it's the arms where the big difference is.
The Dual arms of the late idlers are really great.
You can put a better MM or even small MC in them and they go further than you'd think this deck can go.
A PE arm won't go anywhere that far...a bit of a pity for all the nice mechanics and all, but the arms just don't cut it.

I'd recommend you a Dual 1229 if you want to get into the topic a bit and want a good original vintage combination overall.
I have an AT33mono in my Dual 1229 and frankly it's just stunningly good.
Not as good as your Lenco ofc, but the best original German idler package I know up to now.

Cheers !

Hi Torstoi.

Thanks for the heads up! So a similar story to Adidas - Puma. Fascinating.

I am heading for trouble as the seller of the NOS PE34 turns out to be a collector who also has no less than 4 PE33s in his vault. What else he has, I don't know.

I have to add that

I now have too many options, here in the order of likelihood:

(1) A Thorens 135 - if the Swedish seller can manage to find a suitable box and the time to ship it to me.
+
A PE33 or another turntable that can be made to sound great.

(2) A Thorens 124 in need of restoration. I need to make sure it is 100% complete.

(3) A Telefunken Studio 220 (Thorens 185).
+
A PE33 or another turntable that can be made to sound great.

I did also consider Dual turntables but they are a little more expensive than a "poor man's Thorens 124".

I was wrong about Dual turntables being more expensive. There are lots of them for sale within budget.

The Swedish seller will ship the Thorens 135 without a plinth, which is fine with me as I will build a skeletal panzerholz one.

Turns out the German collector focuses on Thorens so he has a number of the units mentioned here.
If money was unlimited, I would buy from the top of this "pile" of Thorens (built) turntables:
- Thorens TD224 (just because of its record changer)
- Thorens TD124 (a close second, obviously)
- Thorens TD121 (one speed only, separate arm board
- Telefunken Stereo 220 (part 135, part 184)
- Perpetuual Ebner 33 (does it come with a changeable arm board?) -
- Thorens 111 (one speed like the TD 121, reduced, droplet sized plinth)
- Thorens TD 184
- Thorens 101 (one speed only, kit, droplet-sized plinth)

As a daily driver/audiophile turntable I’d take the TD-124 every time. The 224 is a fascinating spectacle, but astonishingly complex and the arm is obviously limited compared to the total freedom of choice the 124 provides. I’m not sure I’d even trust a 224 with some of my rarer vinyl to be honest. Stacking records fills me with cringe. Amazing statement piece though.

A more interesting decision is which is superior between the MkI and MkII TD-124. There is in my mind zero doubt the original iron platter is (vastly) superior to the non-ferrous alloy one, though that was available for both versions so isn’t a factor. My suspicion is that the early MkI step-pulley bearing is the superior and quieter running design, though the MkII motor decoupling is clearly improved. As such my pick all being equal would be for an iron platter MkI retrofitted with MkII motor decoupling and maybe uprated motor coils (AudioSilente) as IIRC the MkII had a slightly revised and more powerful E50.

I have owned both a MkI and (more than one) MkII. I run the latter as I really am obsessive regarding condition and my MkII looks pretty much brand new inside and out, though is assembled from a variety of different decks/parts (I have a huge stash of spares!). MkIs are way rarer in the UK for some reason despite being in production for far longer so I never got the ability to build a really good one there.

advertisement

Back