advertisement

McIntosh solid state with Graham?

Chris81

pfm Member
Hello,
I'm currently listening to a pair of Graham Chartwell LS 3/5A but sometimes my 8 watt 300b mono amplifiers run out of power so I'm looking for an alternative.

McIntosh is sometimes called to be a bit valve like but also to be not the most dynamic, too warm and not the most resolving.

I don't want to muddy what the Grahams are capable of so I don't know if a McIntosh solid state with my Grahams makes sense.

Hello,
I'm currently listening to a pair of Graham Chartwell LS 3/5A but sometimes my 8 watt 300b mono amplifiers run out of power so I'm looking for an alternative.

McIntosh is sometimes called to be a bit valve like but also to be not the most dynamic, too warm and not the most resolving.

I don't want to muddy what the Grahams are capable of so I don't know if a McIntosh solid state with my Grahams makes sense.

Marantz?
You 300dB require somehing close to 100dB sensitivity.

Mabey a touch warm but I wouldn't say valve like and they'd be nothing if they weren't very dynamic and resolving! Previously owned an MA5300 and currently an MAC7200, I believe the MA7200 available in your neighborhood would sound similar and would probably give your Graham's a shot of what they need.

Marantz?
You 300dB require somehing close to 100dB sensitivity.
I know what I requires. The 300b are from the setup with the Altec Lansing 604 E Superduplex with about 100dB efficiency. But that isn't the topic here nor Marantz.;)

I know what I requires. The 300b are from the setup with the Altec Lansing 604 E Superduplex with about 100dB efficiency. But that isn't the topic here nor Marantz.;)

You don't want to muddy the sound of the Grahams. Marantz would be a better choice.

If I would consider buying a Marantz I would have asked for a Marantz.;) Please can we get back to McIntosh WITH Graham. Thank you.:)

just as well you didn't write this then...
"I don't want to muddy what the Grahams are capable of so I don't know if a McIntosh solid state with my Grahams makes sense".

Although I guess you have someone say YES and someone else say NO and then start a new thread on what amps would suit the Grahams.

Although I suspect that someone will mention Marantz there, so best not. :)

If you want to keep with valves, and to be honest that’s half the attraction of running LS3/5As, I’d consider a nice EL34 push pull amp such as a Radford. I find I’m fine with EL84s (Leak TL12 Plus), but I listen near-field and not very loud. Even so I’m likely running them fairly hard and the extra headroom of EL34s would be useful in most contexts. Any of the classic McIntosh valve amps would be good, they are all push-pull and pretty powerful and have that valve heft that brings LS3/5As to life.

I would suggest having a look at a Lavardin IT. I have had the small Grahams in my room with the IT and they sound sublime.

The other amp that is also magical with those speakers is the LFD ncse mk3. That is my favourite amp with the Grahams- it digs a bit deeper on the bottom end.

@Tony L I will not necessarily stick with valves, therefore the consideration of the McIntosh solid state. If so, yes, I would consider an EL84 or EL34 PP amplifier.

@Pkay: I didn't liked Lavardin in the past to say it friendly. For me neither the advantage of a good valve amplifier nor that of a good solid state.

How about some solid state Conrad Johnson then? Plenty of grunt and a bit more neutral than MacIntosh.

advertisement

Back