advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastest man on track today, shame about the shunt otherwise he would have been up there at the top.

Still from last to 5th, the GOAT.

What a drive from George under all that pressure as well. Lets hope they keep the energy up moving forward.

Lewis did indeed drive a very fast race and in the end was similar to VER (and quicker than RUS), but for the first lap incident, it could have been a very different final result for him.

Charles was faster than VER on the soft tyres (that was a very long first stint on the soft to build a big lead) and looked to be a bit quicker on the medium tyres until his engine gave up.

Ferrari do look to have the most powerful engine, but it is not reliable enough (the 2 non finishers used Ferrari engines).

Sauber made a basic strategic error with BOT (who drove another good race) and should have gone for a 3 stop instead of the 2 stop. Barcelona has always had greater degradation in the race than in other sessions as the track grips up. The difficulty comes in predicting how much degradation they will see, but during the race they should have swapped to a 3 stop as the race trace graph showed that others had swapped and that they were going to get a better race result.

There could be a right old battle at Silverstone this year. Not that I’ll care very much. I played catch up today, both with the race and with an old mate I’ve not seen for a few years. Chatting with Todj didn’t have me looking for the fast forward button at the halfway point!

After watching George fend off Max without DRS does anyone else feel like me in regards to sacking off DRS?
Back to skill of drivers rather than an overtake button?
I’ve not been a fan of DRS since it came in. Annoying when the tv coverage shows replays of DRS overtakes when they’re usually a mere formality.

DRS cheapens an overtake.

After watching George fend off Max without DRS does anyone else feel like me in regards to sacking off DRS?
Back to skill of drivers rather than an overtake button?

I agree.

Theres no reason why they can't have a secondary ecu map that allows an increase in boost/fueling at the drivers choice, than silly DRS. The driver could then use it but at the chance of weakening the turbo/ICE etc so use it sparingly rather than every lap. Netflix wouldn't like it though.

this was a very encouraging drive from merc drivers. looks like we will have quite an exciting year in the end. 3 teams, at least 5 great drivers, lots of unresolved tech problems,.... fun to watch again.

When did Hamilton become Merc’s #2 driver? Russell seems consistently ahead of late, e.g. was up the grid before Hamilton took a knock yesterday. Good to see the car working better anyway, I wonder what exactly they fixed?

When did Hamilton become Merc’s #2 driver? Russell seems consistently ahead of late, e.g. was up the grid before Hamilton took a knock yesterday. Good to see the car working better anyway, I wonder what exactly they fixed?

didn't they say there's also a new engine inside? maybe i got it wrong. have no clue how this could affect aero problems unless a different weight distribution (can't be this i know)...

The main change, I heard, was a new floor that doesn’t flex as much. They seem to have almost cured the porpoising, so they might now be free to make the most of the overall concept.

The Sky commentators suggested it was revisions to the floor of the car. Under the new regs to make following another car less difficult due to aerodynamic disturbance, more emphasis has been placed on ground effects to supply downforce, rather than complex wings and multiple vanes / appendages all over the bodywork.
They suggested Mercedes had developed a floor with a degree of flex which increases downforce with increased speed, and lowers the ride height. The problem is that eventually the flow under the floor reaches a maximum and then stalls, causing the car to bounce back up a bit on the springs. The effect then repeats, and the car is pulled back downwards until the flow stalls and it bounces up again. This happens repeatedly at high speed and is the ‘porpoising’ issue referred to above. Due to wind tunnel testing constraints and a lack of previous ground effects aero experience, it wasn’t detected until it was too late to do much about it.
The solution is a new floor with less flex and maybe slightly less theoretical max downforce, but which eliminates or substantially reduces the bouncing. I would guess this makes the aero response over the whole car more stable and predictable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back