advertisement

Alchris speakers

ossy

pfm Member
I’ve recently bought a pair of Alchris AR2’s (formerly Kralk audio). They are fabulous, music just oozes out of them. They are highly resolving and extremely engaging.

They have also had the unexpected positive effect of really improving digital playback (pi4 into a quad vena). I’m quite blown away by this tbh and hadn’t realised how good this could sound. It sounds fabulous, music just flows and is very three dimensional.

However, this has also had a negative effect on vinyl playback (rega 3 exact into phone stage in the quad vena). Vinyl playback before was better than digital, or at least more engaging to my ears. It was quiet (little background noise) whereas now background noise and any distortion is more easily heard. The exact is quite high output and I wonder whether the speakers are now accentuating this?

Any thoughts welcome…

At a guess the Alchris are heaps more revealing than the Sabres? Which probably accounts for the apparent improvement in digital, but will indeed accentuate vinyl noise that maybe the Sabres glossed over.

Welcome to the Alchris fan club! Revealing more of everything up stream is a sort of positive negative. :)

I’m now wondering whether the cart is at end of life? It’s about 15mth old but I’ve played a lot of vinyl in that time. Perhaps 2-4hrs every day (working from home) which is approx 1300hrs!!

I’m now wondering whether the cart is at end of life? It’s about 15mth old but I’ve played a lot of vinyl in that time. Perhaps 2-4hrs every day (working from home) which is approx 1300hrs!!
Might be or might not, but i think you may be casting around to NOT hear the true news. revealing speakers reveal. Standing at a crossroads like this we always know which way we want to go. My mum used to say. 'Toss a coin dear, and when it lands you'll know exactly why you don't want to do what it tells you'. hahhahahaha. True every time tho. So you'll need a compromise if you love Vinyl and Digital equally or a rethink if Vinyl is your first love. If Vinyl isn't loved that much you may have won already. A softer cratridge with less surface noise like a Benz Wood SL (if it works in your arm) would be a good answer.

Maybe a compromise is the Alchris for streaming and the Ruarks for vinyl - my wife will be very happy with that arrangement :confused:

These look nice. I'm particularly taken with the AR-66 and would be interested to hear from anyone that owns/ has heard them.

Has anybody got Alchris speakers on here?
Yes, Alchris AR6s arrived last Wednesday. Stunning sound allied to a great design, they took the place of Kralk TDB6 speakers which are now happily installed in the buyer’s house. I’ve been receiving thank you messages from him for the last few days! :)

These look nice. I'm particularly taken with the AR-66 and would be interested to hear from anyone that owns/ has heard them.

yes I’ve heard them and a few other models Alan has in his current range. Every model that I’ve heard had impressed including the dinky AR2. Alan’s Such a talented designer, maker and top bloke.

Yes, Alchris AR6s arrived last Wednesday. Stunning sound allied to a great design, they took the place of Kralk TDB6 speakers which are now happily installed in the buyer’s house. I’ve been receiving thank you messages from him for the last few days! :)

Please do tell :)... what sort of presentation are they?? Analytical...smooth...neutral...warm??

Sorry for the delay in replying. I really hate describing the sound of speakers and may well end up in Pseuds Corner but here we go. They do bass exceptionally well for a small speaker, their presentation is neutral but detailed and they provide utmost clarity.

Those with greater knowledge than me will say that the room is of utmost importance. I have no room treatment at all, the speakers sit on 60cm Atacama stands approx 4’ apart very slightly toed in. Experimentation using the Cardas method has lead to a most musical sound, I find myself listening to old albums and hearing new sounds & nuances. I sit about 8 feet away, not the best position but the only available in my sitting room. Despite my lack of expertise I couldn’t be happier with the Alchris AR6s and recommend a chat with Alan who will give you proper advice to which of his range will suit you best.

Alternatively if you’re anywhere near Bristol get in touch, you’d be welcome to listen to them at my place.

Looking forward to receiving a pair of Kralk BC30mkII with PAW stands tomorrow. I would say to the OP the Exact isn't exactly known for minimising surface noise as some carts seem to. I'd look at a replacement (especially if it's old) and maybe try a 2M Blue or my personal fave, a RigB modded AT540ML. Also consider an RCM if you haven't already, makes a huge difference to vinyl playback...

Sorry for the delay in replying. I really hate describing the sound of speakers and may well end up in Pseuds Corner but here we go. They do bass exceptionally well for a small speaker, their presentation is neutral but detailed and they provide utmost clarity.

Those with greater knowledge than me will say that the room is of utmost importance. I have no room treatment at all, the speakers sit on 60cm Atacama stands approx 4’ apart very slightly toed in. Experimentation using the Cardas method has lead to a most musical sound, I find myself listening to old albums and hearing new sounds & nuances. I sit about 8 feet away, not the best position but the only available in my sitting room. Despite my lack of expertise I couldn’t be happier with the Alchris AR6s and recommend a chat with Alan who will give you proper advice to which of his range will suit you best.

Alternatively if you’re anywhere near Bristol get in touch, you’d be welcome to listen to them at my place.
Thanks for the write up. I might take you up on your offer of a listen. I am in weston which is not far.
Cheers James

advertisement

Back