advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

I've started adding in some running days at the gym, where should a total noob be aiming for with distance/time etc? Bearing in mind I'm clueless and I've always hated running but have done alright at cycling and rowing over the years, so not a complete cripple but almost.

Aim to start slowly and gently, Matt! Depending on general fitness level, there is a great "starter' program called Couch to 5k.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/running-and-aerobic-exercises/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/

Parkrun is a weekly 5k run that takes place in parks all over the country at 9am on Saturdays, it's free to join and timed, non competitive (except against yourself!), and for all levels. Many people walk. Our local one gets 4-500 most weeks with times from 15 mins to an hour.
https://www.parkrun.org.uk/

Will take a look at that, ta.

I kind of messed up my first go because as I inadvertently reset the treadmill at about 1.5km in, I made up an interval of 1km jog with 300m medium paced walking rest followed by 1km etc. It was around 7-7.5km in total but only at something like 6m+ km pace. It felt alright, calves started to get hammered which was a surprise as on the bike it is the other way around, legs are fine I just run out of engine.

I inadvertently bought a push bike . Using it for trips to the gym and light shopping. Quite different from running

Matt j .. I remember starting out running about 35 years ago, I was very unfit! In the first few weeks your leg muscles will ache and protest as they won't be used to the running stresses. Just build it up steadily and your muscles will gradually strengthen and adapt. It does take a fair bit of patience, stick at it and good luck! Since my humble beginnings I've now run 34 marathons and over 200 Parkruns - this shows what can happen if you get addicted.:D

I had an off colour Parkrun yesterday, 22.30 which was 15 secs a mile slower than last week. I did have a tummy bug midweek which I guess may have had something to do with it, no matter I shall return next week and try again.

Another session today, just over an hour, still just doing 1km intervals. 7k of running in total at about 5:49/km. Calf issue is quite specific, it's not the meat of the muscle but much lower down, I think it might be where it attaches, hopefully it goes away as it gets used to running. Going to divide the week up between running and rowing for now and see how it goes.

I inadvertently bought a push bike . Using it for trips to the gym and light shopping. Quite different from running

Different indeed! My running has been in relatively good shape for the last few weeks (for me), but went for a 40km hilly bike ride (off road) yesterday with a mate, and legs were killing me! Pub lunch mid way probably didn't help, but one certainly feels the different muscles being used.

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question but can anyone recommend a marathon training program for someone who can already run a half, does about 33k over a week, and has to commute and work in an office 3 days a week and can't easily run on those days?

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question but can anyone recommend a marathon training program for someone who can already run a half, does about 33k over a week, and has to commute and work in an office 3 days a week and can't easily run on those days?

Sounds like the sort of thing there's be a million apps for!

Managed 5k today straight through, all be it in 32 minutes so barely running. I think 5k is about as far as I want to go distance wise but would like to focus on getting the time down.

Rowing is equally pedestrian, my 2k is 8m20 ish, although I don't set out to do them as a flat out test very often I just stick to some workouts and intervals.

First race of the year tomorrow morning - a trail half marathon (along the seashore at Chichester harbour so it's flat). Weather is looking good and there's a pub to retire to afterwards :)

Still sick here. Dr can't find anything. Looking like ME / long covid, though i never tested positive. Trying to stay optimistic, but it's hard.

Sorry to hear that sean99, very frustrating. Hope it works itself out of you soon.

The half this morning went well. Beautiful scenery, sunshine, negligible wind and very well organised. Just got back from the post race pub (ditto, except for the organised bit...).
Despite it being a trail run and pretty rough in bits - the worst being shortish (thankfully) patches of shingle and then sand - I huffed and puffed in a new half PB and came second overall, which was somewhat gobsmacking. The new booties proved worthy again!

Had another bash at a 5k today, went straight from work and decided to try and up the pace a even though I was a bit tired (rowing yesterday).

Managed 29 minutes dead which I was quite pleased with, until Zola Budd got on the next treadmill and made look like a codger. I'm more pleased that I seemed to suffer zero calf issues today at any point, had to run through a bit of stitch though at 3k but all ok apart from that.

Went out for 5k early this morning. Second day in a new job and woke up (too) early and decided better to go for a trot than just lying in bed!
Toying with the idea of entering a local 10k race on Sunday...will see how the weather's looking.

That's a big improvement matt j!

Beautiful sunny day down in Sussex, so after Park Run yesterday I entered the Horsham 10k this morning. Part road, part pavement, part bridleway track, part rugby pitch... and a little more hilly (or rather, gently 'incliny' if that is a word) than I expected, but pushed on and got a hot and sweaty PB, so very happy.
Then complained non stop to the wife about achy legs when we went for a long walk this afternoon...

We had pacers at Park run this morning, about ten of them with vests identifying times between 20 and 40 mins - 20, 22, 25, 27, 30 etc.
Despite a blocked nose I tagged onto the 20 from the start and pushed hard (good thing I breathe through my mouth!), and realized as he peeled off in the last 50m or so that he had slightly overcooked it, and came in with new PB sub 20, so was very happy. Lovely sunny morning for it.

advertisement

Back