advertisement

Torn seal on drivers

gusi

pfm Member
My neighbour has a pair of Toukahns 2. ( not sure about the spelling but I think it was a redo of the Kahn from a fewyears ago).

While playing around with his stereo he managed to rip the rubber seals around the edge of the driver.

Is that something that can be repaired or replaced?
Or will he need to get a whole new driver?

I repaired a driver surround with the glue from a puncture repair kit and a piece of condom (cleaned with 99% alcohol). It's best to remove the driver and do it from the inside.

Unless you can source an oem surround (unlikely) you’re not going to get a surround of similar compliance. Probably better to repair a small tear than end up having to replace the surrounds on both to get a matching pair.

If a small tear and you can get similar material (condom is a good shout) then as suggested a repair from inner edge should work just don't just too much glue as it will stiffen the rubber

I am not sure how long the tear is but the puncture kit sounds like a good plan.

Would the drivers be glued in place or just be screwed in.

I repaired several tears in a Ruark driver with puncture repair glue, as recommended on the Wam. Seems to work very well, but then I don’t do thumpingly loud…….

You recycled a condom?? :0.

Personally, I think I'd rather just buy a new surround and replace the whole thing.
This one gave me the biggest laugh in a long time. I had a mental image of attempting to slice up a fitted one…….. I’ll leave it there & get my coat.

Good luck stay safe.

I wouldn't bother faffing about trying to repair a tear like this. It would be far better to buy some new rubber surrounds and replace them.

Yes, indeed. Providing surrounds of suitable size are available (there are fewer sizes available than there are for foam surrounds).

advertisement

Back