advertisement

ProAc R1SC releases: any differences ?

daniele_g

pfm Member
Hi,
I know there were at least 2 releases of Response 1SC, the one with the back side of the chassis closed by screws and the one with sealed back side (as the D1).
Are there any technical / sonical differences between these releases (or with respect to other releases if any) ?

There was a 1 and a 1SC. I believe there may have been two variants of the 1SC too but it was just a change in construction to make assembly easier. I don't know if that is what you are referring to.

IIRC the difference between the 1 and 1SC was the bass-mid driver and maybe the crossover. I know somene who had the upgrade done. I can't recall seeing any ProAc with a BBC-style screwed back.

IIRC the difference between the 1 and 1SC was the bass-mid driver and maybe the crossover. I know somene who had the upgrade done. I can't recall seeing any ProAc with a BBC-style screwed back.

Yes, the 1SC was when they moved to the transparent bass/mid driver. Never noticed two versions of the 1SC, although the crossover point is a possibility.

I should never have sold the pair I owned in favour of SBLs all those years ago. 'Speakers for life' if I ever I heard them.

I can't recall hearing much of a difference between the 1 and 1SC as it wasn't my system and I think a week or two went by for them to be done, but I really do like the 1SC. One of my favourite little speakers for sure. These were on the proper Target R1s and driven with some real high-end kit (Audio Research pre, Krell power). Huge sound from such a little box. I bought a pair of Tablette 50 Sigs which I liked a lot, but never thought were quite as balanced as the 1SC, though different systems, rooms etc. FWIW I've always far preferred little ProAcs to big ones!

The Response One's cross-overs were external, in small, metal boxes. I recall upgrading the bass/midrange drivers and perhaps the cross-overs on my 1SCs, so I must have owned three iterations.

thanks for the answers so far.
yes I know there was a R1 and a R1SC; I was referring to differences -if any- between releases of the 1SC. some told me there was a first version with screws on the back side of the box and a more recent version with "sealed" box, but I had never heard about that.
I'm considering buying a pair of R1SC and I'd like to be aware of what I'm going to buy, in case.

that's why I'm asking :)

Hi,

All I can add is that I have a pair from new in 1998 and they have a screwed on back panel. All 1SCs are rear ported. I cannot imagine changing them, they sound sublime when partnered well and to your taste. They can also tell you just how bad the rest of your system is if it is not up to it. A lot of people appear to use them with class A amps or at least one valve in the chain.

C.

A one trick pony of a speaker, in my opinion.
You may be right, but if you had the right conditions to allow that trick to shine you could consider yourself lucky. Mine worked at my old flat and in the concrete floored rooms at Scalford. They didn't work in my new home and in a couple of places I took them to.

Hi guys, i know this is an old post but then i guess thats what the search is for

I have a pair of the Response 1s, does anyone know what is the difference between the Response 1s and the 1sc?

And is the difference quite large etc

Are they worth upgrading if its still available?
ta

A change of bass driver to the version with the copper phase plug and component changes in the crossover.
Difference, if I remember correctly, was better integration between the drivers and clearer sounding. The SC was one of their best speakers.

A change of bass driver to the version with the copper phase plug and component changes in the crossover.
Difference, if I remember correctly, was better integration between the drivers and clearer sounding. The SC was one of their best speakers.

That was my understanding, the ‘C’ designation was for copper phase plug in the mid/bass driver.
There was a pair sold recently on EBay that made over £2K, cabinets weren’t mint either!

advertisement

Back